Cautionary tale

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

stevesprite
DDK above all

Cautionary tale

Post by stevesprite »

:( I have just finished a two year build on my Pilgrim speedster, I got some insurance cover and booked the car in for an MOT. It passed after minor adjustment of the headlights and steering geometry. I thought to myself great, all I need to do now is get it registered and I will be on the road.

Unfortunately whilst on the way back from the testing station the car cut out. I looked behind me only to see smoke comming from arround the engine lid.

I had not packed a fire extinguisher (as I was only traveling from home to the testing station and back) !
Two people from a nearby workshop came running with fire extinguishers, both of these were empty :( Luckily a passing lorry driver had an extinguisher and put the fire out.

The result is a fire damaged engine bay, melted wiring loom and damage to the fibreglass body work on the LH side of the engine. All this is luckely fixable, but still very distressing :(

The fire brigade pinpointed the fire to an electrical fault, a wire from the coil had shorted out.

The conclusion to this tale is

CHECK YOUR WIRING and CARRY AN EXTINGUISHER

Regards

Steve
Old-Bugga
Married to the DDK

Post by Old-Bugga »

Bummer!

Concentrate on the positives. Whats done is done and you (and us) might as well learn from your experience. Some day you'll look back and laugh.

Gee I wish I would listen to my own advice sometimes.
martinpcraven
DDK Fanatic

Fire

Post by martinpcraven »

Hi Steve- REALLY sorry to hear of your problem - you have my sincere sympathy! Electrical faults (and petrol leaks) are the most common cuases of such problems and as you say, a fire extinguisher is probably MORE important than Porsche Decals but not half as attractive (until you need one!) and then it is the most beautiful piece of equipment on the planet !!!!

If I can do anything to help, do let me know.......
Martin Craven
Classic Roadster Limited
www.ClassicRoadsters.co.uk