Help with a colour please

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

map
DDK Fanatic

Help with a colour please

Post by map »

Am looking at a possible colour change and many moons ago saved the image below - from DDK I think - and I keep returning to it so maybe it's "the" colour.

Can anyone let me know what the factory name of the colour that's been used on the car is please?

It will be used on a 3.7l 2002 Boxster - :sad11:
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Help with a colour please

Post by bjmullan »

I think it's Ultra Blue. A colour available on 911's in the '60s.
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
map
DDK Fanatic

Post by map »

bjmullan wrote:I think it's Ultra Blue. A colour available on 911's in the '60s.
Thank you - appreciate the pointer.

If there are any other suggestions please post them.
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

I looked at similar blues when I was thinking of going that route with mine. I quickly found out that these shades look very different at different times of the day and especially in different lights. You only have to Google a few colour names and the same cars come up in the search results!
My first thoughts were it could be 1957 Aquamarine Blue 5707. Searches for that colour are a complete mine field.

Best option would be to try and find the owner of the car. Good luck.
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
hot66

Post by hot66 »

The Vw will be dove blue, which inthat pic I personally think looks better. The blue on the spyder looks a bit flat
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
map
DDK Fanatic

Post by map »

defianty wrote:I looked at similar blues when I was thinking of going that route with mine. I quickly found out that these shades look very different at different times of the day and especially in different lights. You only have to Google a few colour names and the same cars come up in the search results!
My first thoughts were it could be 1957 Aquamarine Blue 5707. Searches for that colour are a complete mine field.

Best option would be to try and find the owner of the car. Good luck.
Thank you for the colour suggestion - cannot remember where I found the image so finding the owner might be tricky.

Will do some digging.
map
DDK Fanatic

Post by map »

hot66 wrote:The Vw will be dove blue, which inthat pic I personally think looks better. The blue on the spyder looks a bit flat
Appreciate the feedback - whatever the colour is I'll have some samplers sprayed up to be as sure as I can be of the colour I end up with.

Will keep VW Dove Blue in mind.
map
DDK Fanatic

Post by map »

DDK rocks!

defianty / Stephen nailed it - did a search on Aquamarine Blue 5707 and any number of examples turn up. And as everyone has said the blues can look very different.

Find the owner was the suggestion - well what should turn up in the search but a forward corner of the rear arch that looked a lot like it might belong to this car.

It did.

The colour is indeed Porsche #5707 Aquamarinblau (Aquamarine Blue) and here's the article relating to the build of the replica 550 shown in my original picture: https://www.rcnmag.com/garage/web-slinger plus another link: https://www.rcnmag.com/garage/a-few-wor ... he-builder

Thank you all for your input - will set about getting some samples sprayed up (including Ultra Blue and VW Dove Blue) and settle on the exact hue over the summer for a winter project.

Really appreciate the time and input - Thank you!