Banjo Wheel - Worth Knowing!

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

Old-Bugga
Married to the DDK

Banjo Wheel - Worth Knowing!

Post by Old-Bugga »

If you are thinking of buying a Flat 4 Petri type Banjo steering wheel here's a word of warning. It won't fit!!!!

As you can see, the wheel ends up fouling the peak and the indicator stalk. It's a much shallower wheel with no dish as the standard VW one has. As a result it sits much more flush with the dash. I'm going to have to get a spacer machined up to move the wheel forward about 40mm.

I've e-mailed Flat 4 to make them aware and ask if they are willing to help(probably worth there while if it means extra sales). Will let you know if I get a reply.
Gone in 60 seconds
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Gone in 60 seconds »

You can get it to fit, you just need an earlier steering rack, I have a genuine 356 Speedster wheel, and it requires an Oval period rack to support the different splines the rack I got was actually from a 1949 Beetle and its longer I m not sure by how much but a fair old length, clears the peak no problem and makes for a more natural reach.

Looks good in the pictures by the way 8)

James
73 911 RS(T) #0968
Old-Bugga
Married to the DDK

Post by Old-Bugga »

Thats the problem. If I have to get an earlier rack, I then need a different boss to suit the splines...more money (not a phrase a Scotsman likes to hear!). I can get the spacer made for next to nowt so....that'll do me!
Old-Bugga
Married to the DDK

Post by Old-Bugga »

Problem Solved!

Got a 1 1/2" piece machine from aluminium to extend the boss. It now leaves enough room so that your fingers don't get caught between the rim and the eyebrow.

Still trying to bridge the language barrier with Flat 4.
Old-Bugga
Married to the DDK

Post by Old-Bugga »

Problem Solved!

Got a 1 1/2" piece machined from aluminium to extend the boss. It now leaves enough room so that your
fingers don't get caught between the rim and the eyebrow.

Still trying to bridge the language barrier with Flat 4.
Gone in 60 seconds
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Gone in 60 seconds »

Very nicely done 8) 8)
73 911 RS(T) #0968