Long term storage - tips for not creating a barn find

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Zim48
DDK Fanatic

Long term storage - tips for not creating a barn find

Post by Zim48 »

We're moving to the US for a bit and unfortunately the car can't come with so it's going into long term storage. Having spent a huge amount of time and effort with Chris Turner getting the car up and running a few years back I don't want to create another barn find. The storage is facility is nice and dry and airy but clearly the car is going to move much for at least 6 months.

Any suggestions on good storage protocols welcome.

Thanks

Paul
1973 2.4E Targa (RHD)
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Long term storage - tips for not creating a barn find

Post by Winston Teague »

Spend the storage money on shipping: Take it with you! W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

If access to it isn't a problem, get someone you trust to start & drive it periodically ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

Well if you want the other perspective, get the car clean and waxed if it isn't already, get a fuel stabiliser run through the car before you go to fill it up to the brim.
If there is any issue with the car, now is the time to make a list of the parts you will need.
Open fresh air ventilation flaps in passenger compartment, close heating vents. If it has a/c ensure it is run and gassed up.
Change the engine oil and top up your gearbox fluid, also consider bleeding the brakes as they are hydroscopic.
Remove the battery or put it on a battery tender or plan to just buy a new one and use it as a spare.
Remove the wheels and put the car on blocks so the car is on suspension, this will prevent flat spots of the tires and your shocks from drying out by being fully extended. Use wooden blocks that are dry.
Grease hubs and suspension moving parts or a wax based anti rust on your cars nether regions.
If your brakes are worn plan to replace them and it is easier to do without rust of of it sitting there.
Use WD40 on electrical componets such as your generator or starter and electrical switchs or relays. A silicon based spray on rubbers, this will protect the rubber to help it stay flexible and all other moving parts if possible.
Invest in a rodent trap or poison to stop the buggers eating your car of they get in.
Cover with a breathable indoor car cover.
While you are in the states plan to buy some parts on your return. Oil, filters for fuel, new rubber fuel lines and engine oil filter, generator belt, battery, some brake rotors and pads, bearings and anything else if needed, if you are worried about the age or condition of your tires now would be a nice time for some new ones.
If you are using man maths, then go ahead buy some new wheels and stickier tyres and use the old ones as wets/commuter tyres.
You should change the fluids and do the process in reverse. Some drain the fuel and run that in the lawnmower to be on the safe side, put fresh fuel and pump it through. Check over all components for leaks or corrosion. Hand crank the engine over before starting. Refit wheels and lower the car back down. Start the car and before you drive check nothing is leaking in the fuel system, take the car for a short drive around the block and use all items to give it a stretch. Recheck everything and take the car for a drive to get it up to temp, give it an Italian tune up and then have a poke at all parts to see no seals or components have dried out.
Scene tax
Zim48
DDK Fanatic

Post by Zim48 »

Thanks for the helpful responses.

Man maths well under way. The wife is edging towards a restoration being a good use of this down time...
1973 2.4E Targa (RHD)
one-two
DDK rules my life!

Post by one-two »

Sell it and buy another when you get back? Market conditions are a bit less favourable to storage/resto than they were
Robert Barrie Limited
+44 7775 518337
info@robertbarrielimited.com
www.robertbarrielimited.com
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

I thought "Barn Finds" were popular?
Rust Never Sleeps
one-two
DDK rules my life!

Post by one-two »

In some quarters, perhaps! I can't help thinking that projects that make sense when prices are rising 10% to 20% per year don't look quite so clever when they aren't
Robert Barrie Limited
+44 7775 518337
info@robertbarrielimited.com
www.robertbarrielimited.com
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

Go with the restoration. If you didn't want the car you would have sold it and cashed out as you are playing the market as you know where it is going in 12 months right?
But from what you said you spent the money with Chris Turner and don't want it to go to pot? So going deeper into a car you love to make it better seems natural to me as time is on your side
Scene tax
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

It will be fine.
Just stick in storage and do not leave it too long.
I am happy to drive it for you occasionally Paul.
Perhaps use whatever premium fuel that has the least Ethanol in it for a while.
Do you really want the hassle of a long distance restoration while you are away?
oldtimer
DDK forever

Post by oldtimer »

Sell it like Robert says . Values are not going to rise any more except for the best of the best in certain models (IMHO!).

You might even find a good one to replace it while you are out there - sorted !