Query about importing a car from the US

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

CQuest8
DDK Seasoned Poster

Query about importing a car from the US

Post by CQuest8 »

I have a question for anyone who has imported a car from the US.

The back ground is I've agreed the purchase of a 911 from a classic car dealer in Florida. In the ad, the dealer said he said he had clear title for the car. The title document is in someone else's name but it has been signed by this person at the bottom which effectively gives up his right to the vehicle.

Kingstown Shipping have told me that the bill of sale needs to be from the person who is shown on the title document, which is the previous owner.

So, is this an issue? Do I even need a bill of sale? I've imported two cars from Europe and it has all been fairly straightforward but I want to make sure that I'm not going to have an issue with customs or the DVLA.

My friend who is based up the road says that the reason he won't have put it in his name is to avoid paying taxes to the State (which are due when a vehicle changes ownership).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
1966 VW Splitscreen Camper RHD walk-thru (never selling!)

1984 3.2 RSR Replica (sold)
1975 911S 2.7 - fitted with a 3.0 SC engine (sold)
2003 996 Turbo (sold)
2007 997 Turbo (sold)
nj1052
DDK addict

Re: Query about importing a car from the US

Post by nj1052 »

I have imported an old race car from the USA and to get the correct customs charges it is necessary the secure a Binding Tariff agreement with HMR&C which confirms that the car is of historic interest. There is plenty of detailed information on the HMR&C website.

This has to be done before the vehicle is shipped and the result is a VAT charge of 5% of all costs including shipping with no import duty. Otherwise there is a 20% import charge plus VAT at 20% on the whole lot so its well worth doing. Of course getting the agreement brings the deal on the radar of the tax man on both sides of the pond but that is not your concern.

I have not had any relevant experience with the DVLA as the cars I brought over were not for road use so I leave that issue to others who know about it.

Best of luck!
1970 2.2S Coupe gone
1987 3.2 Carrera Coupe
1989 Kremer 962 CK6 Also gone
1987 962C Sadly sold
1980 935K3 Gone
george21
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by george21 »

Just ask dealer in the bill of sale to include "sold on behalf of"
and then thats bloke name who really owned it. Should be fine.
Bill of sale needed for uk customs so they can charge you correct amount. So larger amout on your bill of sale more you pay....
Hope it helps. George
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

The Bti process has been dropped. Now you just have to complete a historical vehicle declaration to promise that you wont use it as a daily driver. In other words you are not going to replace a newer vehicle, on which you/someone would have paid 20% VAT with one on which you are going to pay 5% VAT. You do not have to do this before it ships just do it before it arrives if you can.
Bill of sale. Well it can be anything from a scrap of paper from the PO to a universal form downloaded from a state DMV website.
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..
72911E
I luv DDK!

Post by 72911E »

camperco wrote:The Bti process has been dropped. Now you just have to complete a historical vehicle declaration to promise that you wont use it as a daily driver. In other words you are not going to replace a newer vehicle, on which you/someone would have paid 20% VAT with one on which you are going to pay 5% VAT. .
How old does the car have to be to be considered under the Historical Vehicle Declaration?
'72 911E Coupe RHD
'72 911S Coupe RHD
CQuest8
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by CQuest8 »

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll let you know how I get on.
72911E wrote:
camperco wrote:The Bti process has been dropped. Now you just have to complete a historical vehicle declaration to promise that you wont use it as a daily driver. In other words you are not going to replace a newer vehicle, on which you/someone would have paid 20% VAT with one on which you are going to pay 5% VAT. .
How old does the car have to be to be considered under the Historical Vehicle Declaration?
It's 30 years. The car is a 1980 911 so I should be okay...
1966 VW Splitscreen Camper RHD walk-thru (never selling!)

1984 3.2 RSR Replica (sold)
1975 911S 2.7 - fitted with a 3.0 SC engine (sold)
2003 996 Turbo (sold)
2007 997 Turbo (sold)
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

You must also declare any modifications from the original. So as long as it looks like a Porsche and is made from Porsche bits you will be OK.

In the unlikely event of a customs person inspecting the container contents they don't really know what they are looking at so as long it doesn't have 6 wheels or a V12 hanging out the front it will be fine.

Has anyone on here declared any mods? Say - a 2.7 engine in a 2.3? What was the outcome?
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..