Interiors for 356's

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

martinpcraven
DDK Fanatic

Interiors for 356's

Post by martinpcraven »

The Classic Roadsters vehicles are manufactured in germany to the highest standards. We offer the T6 model as a Turn-key vehicle but we also offer Speedsters, Cabriolets and 550's as kits, Rolling body chassis or as Turnkey options.

The guy who trims the cars is based in the Czech Republic!!

Since we have launched, we have been absolutely inundated with enquiries from people who have been unable to get service from the people who supplied their kits or from trimmers recommended by these suppliers. Many trimmers being recommended have no expertise or experience in working on this type of car and some of the finishes that I have seen are quite honestly, appalling!

We had already appointed a top quality and extremely experienced painter and trimmer to service any "warranty" issues that might arise for our T6 sales, but we were totally unprepared for the huge number of enquiries from current owners of other makes.

SO, in the past month we have been very busy visiting, negotiating and certifying the quality of work of a number of additional trimmers in order to be able to service OUR needs in the UK but also to service these enquiries AND establish a quality that befits the work we do and the products we supply.

That's where we are at the present but given the demand, I thought it migh t be useful to put up the attached for anyone else who is considering such a requirement.

We have one trimmer who has been involved with Speedster replicas for over 20+ years AND is quite happy to take new commissions on board, and another who is more used to retrimming Rolls and Bentleys (but at Jaguar prices!!).

I will tell you though that we do not and will not use just any old trimmer (or painter) be it for new work or for remedial work – We ONLY use top quality guys for OUR cars and will only that level of service to our other clients.

The quality and finish of the interior is as important as the finish and colour choices made regarding the body. Many people start the hunt based on a ‘least cost ‘ route and seem very happy to accept low to medium quality materials becasue the 'man said it was leather' (or so called leather). We all 'know' that there are huge variations is so called 'leather' but often as not, we rarely get to see, smell and feel the materials before the finish is completed. At that stage, its too late.

HOWEVER, if you are looking for a quality trimmer AND leather that is high grade then we can help.

I see so many cars that people have spent a lot of time and money on being finished ‘cheaply’ because having bought the kit for £3k plus £200 on the donor, they hoped to get the car on the road for between £7k – £10K – It just doesn’t happen like that and are then very dissappointed with the result.

Trimming, for those that have not done it themsleves, is a very complicated activity, especially to get it right and the Speedsters are not simple by any means, if you want to get a really good finish. Typically, I get asked for a quote but clients have often not thought throug htehir needs at the same level that a trimmer needs to 'know' and understand what is in their minds so I hope that the following is useful in heloing to consider 'requirements' and to express them so that a trimmer can easily quote against it.

Seats
Speedster seat shell or standard commercial offering (XJS/Mazda etc)
With Vents or without? (Speedster seat)
Carpet to the back as original or Leather/vinyl? (Speedster seat)
Matching / Contrasting piping?
Pleating? (Horizontal or vertical)
Headrest?
Perforated leather options?
Based on bare shells or with existing (old) covering?
Squab or bench seat (with or without rear/back rest)
Leather or vinyl?

Carpets
What colour and materials?
Bound or whipped edging / same or contrasting colourway?
Interior boot/trunk carpet (normally black or dark blue / unbound)?
Boot interior carpet (Yes/No?)
Black (normally recommended) or matching/contrasting colour
Boot carpets (same material/colour or different)?
Boot carpets are almost never bound but there is no reason not to
Map pocket to side of drivers leg?
Rubber foot mat insert?
'Over' or 'to' rear seat?
Back of cabin area (and sides?) (or leather?)
Handbrake / gearstick fillets

Other areas
Eyebrow?
Top of Dash?
Door Panels
Pockets
Satchel
Cappings
Hoods (I would always recommend that this is professionally done)

Armed with that info., we can come up with a quote for the seats straight away.

Colour is a very difficult and personal choice. We have some real top quality, heavy duty leather (Connolly hide) exactly the same as they normally use the Jaguar sports cars. Colours are limited but classic (Cranberry*, Black*, Sand, Ivory and Dove Grey) * means that these items are ALSO available in perforated leather as well so you can have perforated leather centre panels etc).

All I would say to anyone that would like us to quote for cars manufactured by other suppliers is that we will be happy to quote, but 'if' you are you are looking at developing a car to be proud of that holds its value and inspires people, choose colours wisely.

How many people installed brown, pampas or avocado bathroom suites because it was fashionable (for a while).

Also remember that quality hoods normally have a lining colour (typically sand or black?) so it may be worth considering this when making your interior choice of colour. In addition, as well as matching the body and hood exterior colour, what colour do you want the hood stowage cover to be and what will this look like in conjunction with the interior seating colours when down.

We can do contrasting piping as well AND make up to any ‘style’ but we do need to be absolutely clear as to what that 'style' a client has in mind (Plain, vertical panel, horizontal panels, map pockets, piping etc etc so pleased DO be pedantic about what you want – It will help us to get it right for you. Photographs help a great deal as well!

Same with carpets – Nearly ALL 356 manufacturers make their cars with DIFFERENT floorpan sizes and shapes (sometimes even from the same maker!!) so again PLEASE be pedantic.

You ‘can’ make your own patterns out of brown paper but if the car is driveable, then I would strongly recommend getting the trimmer to take a look (always at his premises – it’s the way they work!) if possible.

We would simply ask you to be patient with us while we are dotting the ‘I's and crossing the ‘T's. Once we're in full flow with the guys, it will be normal service

Hope that is of some help?
Martin Craven
Classic Roadster Limited
www.ClassicRoadsters.co.uk