Transfering number plates.

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Dingbat
DDK slapper chatter

Transfering number plates.

Post by Dingbat »

Good evening all,
I have been trawling around to clarify something I have in my head in regard to taking number plates off old cars, now I have found the obvious as in tax and mot, or taxed in the last twelve months, and that there must be a V5 and what not but what I recall is that if the vehicle had been in the same ownership for many years , I think thirteen for some reason, does anyone know for sure, thanks Bill
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Transfering number plates.

Post by KS »

I don't quite understand what you're saying/asking.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
C3s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by C3s »

Have just transferred (retained in this case) a reg no from one of the Porsches on line, it took 5 mins and had ti clarify some info from the V5C. Easy peasy
Dingbat
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dingbat »

Me again, my question is what are the criteria, it used to be that the donor had to be mot'd and taxed or at least recently taxed or if not road legal that it had to have been in the same ownership for some rc time it was basically so dealers could not drag anything with an interesting number out of a field and make money on it. Now I have had a look at the official places and can find no reference to the long ownership clause, is it still in force ?
mean_in_green
DDK above all

Post by mean_in_green »

Never heard of that before, would seem unusually generous of
DVLA not to take the opportunity to charge...?

I thought both vehicles had to be eligible in terms of relative ages (unless plate is dateless) taxed and tested, or the mark put on retention.
Simon
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Not heard about length of ownership

But yes needs to have an MOT

I believe they can still elect to view the cars which have to be driven to the inspection address although guessing this is becoming less prevalent given the closing of branches
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Pre 60 ( or whatever the cut off date is ) don't need an mot ... How does that effect things?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

Bootsy wrote:Not heard about length of ownership

But yes needs to have an MOT

I believe they can still elect to view the cars which have to be driven to the inspection address although guessing this is becoming less prevalent given the closing of branches
I believe a SORN is adequate now.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Grindon
Married to the DDK

Post by Grindon »

hot66 wrote:Pre 60 ( or whatever the cut off date is ) don't need an mot ... How does that effect things?
Hi, the DVLA told me that all pre 1963 (dateless?) vehicles WILL be inspected by their newly appointed private agents (no longer VOSA). This can be done at your home or workpace by appointment, and at no cost.

Cheers,

Kevin
1962 356B S90 (1710cc, RHD)
1969 911T (with 73 2.4 911S motor, LHD)
1976 911 Targa 2.7 (fully rebuilt as 1988 3.3 Turbo Cabriolet (proper job), RHD)
1985 944 2.5 (early dash)
1988 924S (sold)
Dingbat
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dingbat »

Me again.
I am a bit crackers that's for sure but I am sure there was a clause that allowed a number to be removed from a vehicle if it had been in the same ownership for many years regardless of condition, I will ask a chap I know who deals in numbers and let you know, it's not for me , there is a project I am after and the number on it belonged to the present owners late brother , he has owned the car for years and the number means something to him, and its going to be some time before the car gets back onto the road if at all.