Winter driving - what car?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Hello

Was reading Graham's thread about salt and thought I am not quite ready to give up the weekend drives just yet. I love the early morning drives around A / B roads and want to continue doing them. Agree an old 911 might not appreciate it though and things like salt, weak headlights etc put me off.

I was thinking about a more modern car that could be used and rather boringly, my default choice was another 911. The idea of a 997 GT3 on winter tyres really appeals for some reason but it's a fair amount of cash and I would ideally want to garage it and look after it properly etc.

I was reading an old copy of Evo and they had an article on hot hatches. I am also thinking of going down to Hot Hatch Sunday at Goodwood which got me thinking a hot hatch might do the trick! Looking for ideas and main criteria (in priority order) are fun to drive, reliable, can park / leave outside and under £10k.

Would love to hear from people who have owned something fun or just ideas.

Thanks

Feroz
The force is strong in this one ......
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Winter driving - what car?

Post by 911hillclimber »

Tin top or open to a Mk3 MX5, folding steel top on winter tyres?
RWD, enough power to thrill and robust.
Lots of them, £10K will buy a very nice high-spec car.

Resell easy next spring.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Feroz - don't you own a 993?
Tore Bergvill's HID conversion, or LED H1s (work quite well on the 993 - already quite a sophisticated lens design). Job done.

If you must go hot hatch, you might be interested in Michelin's newish Crossclimate tyre:
http://www.michelin.co.uk/GB/en/tyres/p ... imate.html
Has the winter accreditation (as required in Germany) but also claims to require little compromise as a summer tyre. We've got a set on one of our cars - don't know yet about snow, but very good in the dry and excellent in the wet.

Something Renaultsport? (Clio in Viper Green?). Not owned one, but one or two DDK-er's like them.
Don't forget the baseball cap.

Cheers, Richard.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

All these were bought specifically for winter use :

993 C4 cab
996 turbo
M3 csl

Most fun in the winter was the 993 with the roof down . Just seemed to have some great winter drives in that car

Is year I've not got a winter fun car ( yet ) , but if I have been re looking at cheap boxsters, mx5's etc .... Ideally you also want cheap and reliable running costs if it's just an extra winter toy. Both my 911's will be coming out regularly though
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Great minds, James! I use my 993 in winter and it's perfect.
I also used to use my CSL. Here we are in Guildford, ready for the London commute, early one winter morning:

(CSL was, honestly, not a great winter car!)

But reminds me: my old B5 RS4. Now that was a good winter car. And a good car full stop. Underrated I think:

Image[
Last edited by inaglasshouse on Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
targa/red
DDK slapper chatter

Post by targa/red »

you can get the tail out on those pick up trunks
have you seen what Mercdes are planning an off road version and a road version my son showed me some pictures he found the other day looked awesome and you can bet expensive also
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Backdated 911 with Lumetek lights
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
targa/red
DDK slapper chatter

Post by targa/red »

how about this on e-bay 192016868231
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

911hillclimber wrote:Tin top or open
Either is fine although now you mention it, an open car with a decent roof could be good fun and economical if sold again in spring. Good idea.
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Richard - I did have a 993 but sold it as most of the year, I much preferred driving my 911E. Found I wasn't using it much and a trip to Wales confirmed it. Also sold the SC.

Renaultsport and cap sounds like a good idea although there are so many to choose from (sporting Renaults and caps) I would prefer to start with a shortlist.

Thanks for the steer on the tyres, they sound ideal.
shoestring7
DDK rules my life!

Post by shoestring7 »

About 5 years ago I was running a new Cayman and looked for a set of cheap winter wheels to save the Porsche from salt and poor winter driving. I found a nice low-miles, one owner Golf VR6 for sale for a couple of thousand pounds; heated leather seats, a/c, smooth (and very heavy)six-pot sitting over the driven wheels. It was filthy dirty (the owner used it at weekends to go to the golf-course and it was full of dried grass!) and the suspension was knackered. A thorough service, a set of Bilsteins and a weekend's clean and it was transformed.

The problem was it was nice clean, rust-free manual 30k VR6 Highline, pretty much unique and too good to use in the salt and snow, so I ended up using the Cayman. :roll:

Nowadays I just put a set of winter tyres on the ugly hatchback:

C>
968C/968CS/'92 964C4/944t/924S Trackday shed/Cayman/964C2#2/'73 hotrod (gone)
Mini JCW buzzbox
Audi A2 Piech edition
BMW R1250GSA

http://thecarlistblog.blogspot.co.uk/
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I'd have thought unless the car you get offers something g radically different to your daily.... you'll end up taking the daily instead .... that's why I'm not convinced a hot hatch will get used as much as a cab .... even though it's winter you still want to have something that makes the trip special / memorable

If you really want a hot hatch how about a modern fiat 500 abarth ... just jump in and drive
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

yoda wrote: Renaultsport and cap sounds like a good idea although there are so many to choose from (sporting Renaults and caps) I would prefer to start with a shortlist.
Good point. Here is my cap recommendation:
An excellent match with most of Renaultsport's products, having the same broad aesthetic of taste and subtlety.

You're welcome.
R
scalino65
DDK rules my life!

Post by scalino65 »

Lotus 7.
THE END
alastairp
DDK above all

Post by alastairp »

Are there any heats for the Fuckin' Championships?