Very O/T: Trailer tent advice...

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Very O/T: Trailer tent advice...

Post by KS »

As we can't afford to run a campervan, we've been thinking about a trailer tent to lug along behind the daily. We don't want a regular frame tent... Looking at eBay, there seems to be a vast number for sale at under £600, and it doesn't take long to realise that some have been lovingly cared for, and others are f••••d, to put it mildly.

We don't need a huge 8-person one, but wondered if anybody here had any experience with the different makes that are available? Also, looking at various videos on line, am I right in thinking some you need to put the canvas over on separately (as with a regular frame tent), while others unfold with the canvas already attached? Or are they all the same?

Any words of advice based on experience gratefully received.

PM me if you don't want to admit publicly that you own such a thing! :lol:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
hot66

Re: Very O/T: Trailer tent advice...

Post by hot66 »

Went on holiday to Spain in one when I was 17 ... Basic unit was fold out with all canvas already attached, then added a frame tent awning ...... From memory Not really much better than a tent to be honest but with all the hassle of still towing something
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
middlefour1
DDK rules my life!

Post by middlefour1 »

Hi Keith,

Why not get an Eriba? If it's raining putting up any sort of tent is a right pain, with an Eriba just drop the jacks, pop up the roof, plug in and open a bottle, much simpler. They are well made and very well fitted out.
Steve
1970 Silver 914 - Gone but never forgotten........
KS

Post by KS »

Nice idea but simply don't have the money (see budget above). Also, TBH, dislike any kind of caravan with a vengeance. ;)
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

Back in the early '80's we had a Conway Corniche trailer tent and went all over with it, including a few forays into France. It was the only way that I could get my late wife to 'go camping' as you sleep off the ground and on a mattress. The Corniche was considered to be the best in its' day.
There was a 'built-in' kitchen, awning and seperate 'living' areas. Loads of room in the trailer for everything you needed, plus could store the push bikes on top when travelling.
You do need somewhere dry for storage as you WILL need to dry it out or air it between escapades. With a bit of practice could be pitched and kettle on inside 10 minutes. Packing away took a bit longer!
Only sold it to buy a caravan (that never happened as I didn't fancy clogging up the roads).
http://www.blueskyholdings.co.uk/Conway_Corniche.html

HTH
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

I also have many (happy?) memories of my Dad dragging a Conway Corniche around most of Europe. Four up in a 1.6 auto Cortina... If you do do it I'd recommend something with more poke as we all had to get out once on a hill in Cornwall as it couldn't make it!

I think a big roof box and a proper modern frame tent would be a much better option than towing and the storage issues that the trailer gives you.

It did provide some funny memories though, who is going to forget a wheel dropping off and my Dad running back down the road to rescue it from a ditch.
KS

Post by KS »

My Merc C-Class ought to tow it OK. Storage isn't a problem (to be honest, it would be easier than having to store a frame tent and roofbox) and I have space to open it out to dry off if wet. What appealed was the 'fold-out' nature of the trailer tents – easy to erect and sleeping up off the ground. I just wondered if they are all as quick and easy to use as the videos make them look (being a whimpy 5'6", 9 1/2 stone – but still a full 5ins taller and 1 1/2 stone heavier than Sarah!).
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
majordad
I luv DDK!

Post by majordad »

We had one for many summers in the 80/90's and did many French and German trips. As said above the test is how long it took from parking up to drinking that cup of tea. I'd recommend the Conway or any one that folded up with the frame/canvas attached. The advantage with the trailer tent is speed and lightness, and you can store stuff ( wine ! ) in it. Also re the asking prices, this does not always reflect condition or care, some people like myself just got out of that phase of life when the kids got bigger and wanted rid of it fast.
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard
Bewildebeest
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Bewildebeest »

Go for it - we had one for a while and had fun with it - a lot less of the 'where does this bit go' like you get with normal tents.
Some of them are pretty slick the way they unfold - they almost erect themselves. Parking to 'brew up' time is usually good because when you undo the first straps/clips whatever the thing kind of explodes out of the trailer by itself (because you had to squeeze it in) and someone can get inside and fire up while the other goes round the outside sticking pegs in etc.

I'm always surprised how big they can be - almost the footprint of a caravan and even when folded they come level with the roof of some cars. I guess a 2 berther should be more manageable.

Getting a good used one shouldn't be too hard if you study the owner first. Somebody with OCD would be good. :wink:
Somebody with 3 kids and a dog - not. Perhaps a wanted ad might work - they do tend to get laid up and forgotten.

Don't forget to post.......err...... 'Trailer tenting to the Targa'
desert rat
DDK addict

Post by desert rat »

Agree with majordad. Had a conway when the kids were young and had some great holidays with it. Was sorry to see it go.