D'Eser seats - still a good option?

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

ross.mcw
DDK slapper chatter

D'Eser seats - still a good option?

Post by ross.mcw »

Hi all,

I looked into getting some replica Recaro seats from Cesare at D'eser a couple of years ago for my '72 2.4T but never actually got round to going through with it (story of my life these days it seems!).

So I've got in touch with Cesare again recently and have a price to get a pair of his 'Sport S' models in black leather with 'pepita black/white' (ie. houndstooth) fabric inserts (approx. EUR 2800 incl. fixing brackets with sliders (non-tilting) with delivery).

So I have a few questions if that's okay:-

1. Are these seats still a good/recommended option or are there others that I should also be considering?

2. Anyone any feedback/experience of dealing direct with Cesare at D'Eser. I'm obviously keen to not see EUR 2400 vanish in to the ether.

3. Is fitting these a reasonably straight forward process? I just have the bog standard squishy fabric seats at the moment.

4. Should my existing seat belt fittings all work okay with the new seats?

Many thanks in advance for any advice provided!

Cheers, Ross.
1972 911T in metallic Gemini Blue
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: D'Eser seats - still a good option?

Post by mycar »

Looking down through your questions, I'm not sure how helpful I can be but I bought a pair of D'eser sports seat six years ago and was/have been very happy with them. They are comfortable seats, quite firm when new but easing with a bit of use. After the standard early Recaros they were very supportive and made the car feel like a proper sports car.

I bought mine through Nick Moss at Early 911 so there were no money transfer problems but D'eser have built such a good reputation, I'm sure you would have no problems dealing direct if that's the way you would prefer. I think dealing with Cesare is better done with emails than telephone calls.

As for fitting, all should be perfectly straightforward. I found the seats sat too high in the car for me and my head touched the head lining so brackets were made up to drop the frames below the cills and all was well.

Seatbelts should be fine.

Not sure who else is offering sports seats of this quality, maybe somebody will step in with a recommendation.

Here are mine box fresh.

yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Hi Ross

I have a set of BF Torino equivalents in black vinyl cord and have found them to be very good. Reasonable weight and very comfortable (I have done 1000 miles in a day in them without problems). May be worth a look, I think they are quite readily available and perhaps a little cheaper.

I'm interested to hear how you get on as I am in the market for another set for another car. As it happens, I also want Recaro reps in Black with Pepita. I looked at Deser seats for a project a few years ago and wondering whether to give them a go or stick with the BF Torino seats.

Depending on where you are but perhaps try and sit in some broken in ones to see how you like them.

Regards

Feroz
The force is strong in this one ......
KS

Post by KS »

+1 for the BF Torinos. Had them in my '74 Carrera and loved them.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
ross.mcw
DDK slapper chatter

Post by ross.mcw »

Many thanks for the feedback - I'll check out the BF Torino ones as well before placing an order.
I found the seats sat too high in the car for me and my head touched the head lining so brackets were made up to drop the frames below the cills and all was well.
Did you have their tilt and slide brackets or just the sliding ones?
mycar

Post by mycar »

Tilt and slide.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

mycar wrote:Tilt and slide.

Coincidentally that's how I dance
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Zim48
DDK Fanatic

Post by Zim48 »

Came across this company online the other day. No idea on the quality (or UK pricing) but the range looks decent and the seat is also called a Sport S. They list Adrian Crawford down in Cornwall as their UK dealer.

http://www.classiccarseats.com/sports-seats.php

cheers

Paul
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

That company - GTS seats - is run by Stefan Schleissing & has been in operation for many years with a good reputation ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
ross.mcw
DDK slapper chatter

Post by ross.mcw »

Ta for that link to GTS Classic's site - those look interesting as well.

Cesare sent me a link to their Facebook page where they've got a load of recent photos of various seats they've sold:-

https://www.facebook.com/Deser-Vintage- ... 175352119/
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Another well-know supplier is vintage seats:
http://www.vintageseats.com
Based in the US.
As used by Darren in the Mongrel, I believe.

I have BF Torino versions of Recaro buckets (not Recaro reclining sports seats) in my 69 car. That's how it came, I didn't buy them. I sat in the Vintage Seats version and had a good chat with the company owner, Michael, during last year's California trip.
I think the Vintage Seats are nicer (more carefully finished, more authentic in construction method). But quite a bit pricier, especially when shipping and duty have been paid.

Cheers, Richard.
911SE
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 911SE »

ross.mcw wrote:Hi all,

I looked into getting some replica Recaro seats from Cesare at D'eser a couple of years ago for my '72 2.4T but never actually got round to going through with it (story of my life these days it seems!).

So I've got in touch with Cesare again recently and have a price to get a pair of his 'Sport S' models in black leather with 'pepita black/white' (ie. houndstooth) fabric inserts (approx. EUR 2800 incl. fixing brackets with sliders (non-tilting) with delivery).

So I have a few questions if that's okay:-

1. Are these seats still a good/recommended option or are there others that I should also be considering?

2. Anyone any feedback/experience of dealing direct with Cesare at D'Eser. I'm obviously keen to not see EUR 2400 vanish in to the ether.

3. Is fitting these a reasonably straight forward process? I just have the bog standard squishy fabric seats at the moment.

4. Should my existing seat belt fittings all work okay with the new seats?

Many thanks in advance for any advice provided!

Cheers, Ross.
I bought a pair of Sport S (also had other bits and pieces recovered by him) directly from Cesare a couple of years ago. I picked up the kit at his shop and he and his wife came a cross as very serious to deal with, he even accepted me delivering the leather to be used. I'd say that chances of you loosing your money are minimal.

I've used the seats for some 30000 km and there are a couple of issues, not necessarily caused by the seats.
A) the driver side bolster foam has lost its shape and the steel tube can be felt through it, one could argue that this is quality related or I'm just to big for these seats.
B) I went for the tilting frames which feels a little bit to high for me, will probably exchange these for just sliders in the future.

He's easy enough to deal with over the phone as long as you speak Italian, had my wife to sort that for me, else email is the way to go.
Magnus
1971 911 2.2T
1995 993
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

Fitted Rennsports Classics into our 356 and 914 historic rally cars. Very good quality, good fit and very comfy. Good value too but they take ages to arrive.
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Am I correct in thinking Rennsports seats and BF Torino are one and the same?
The force is strong in this one ......
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Yes - formerly made by Bielstein
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”