DDK to LeMans ....

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

hot66

DDK to LeMans ....

Post by hot66 »

As you know, a few ddkers made a last minute decision to blast down to LeMans to hopefully experience a Porsche win :)

So there we were .... Myself, and sjm73 in my 964 , and JohnM and a caterham owning interloper, Paul in Johns 2.2E ......all getting up at 4am to travel from just outside Cambridge with the plan of arriving in LeMans mid afternoon.

.... And as can always be expected with these trips, I started my car, drove it on to the road to wait for Simon to get in and the engine promptly died and wouldn't re start ! It was at this point I had decided me and LeMans is jinxed :(

So , quick panic fiddle about with the relays and she fired back up .... And luckily she continued to be fine for the rest of the 1000 miles + trip .
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
hot66

Re: DDK to LeMans ....

Post by hot66 »

Onwards to the tunnel, ..... Was amazed though at how busy the roads are in the south at 5am

The intrepid travellers .... Feeling slightly weary having already been up for 3.5 hours

We were expecting heavy rain for the drive down, but things were on our side :) . We took the motorways down towards Rouen then a new route I'd planned taking us cross country and travelling east of Rouen to cross the seine without having to drive through the city ..... Turned out to be a superb option, which led us to accidentally stumble across an amazing little restaurant where we had the most amazing 3 course meal incl a drink for 16 euros each

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

hot66 wrote: So , quick panic fiddle about with the relays and she fired back up ....
Hope you have the obligatory spare DME relay in the glovebox?

Looking forward to the rest of the report.
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

DustyM wrote:
Looking forward to the rest of the report.
Me too, wonder how they get on.
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
hot66

Post by hot66 »

We'd decided to camp at LeMans away from the more traditional and rowdy sites and instead camp at Mulsanne Corner, knowing we had one of the best viewing points and for old boys like us less of the chav crowd banging on all night

To be honest, we'd expected it to be heaving but it turned out to be just right with plenty of space in the trees .

View from our tent ... Nice and close to the action .... But had forgotten just how much he trees deflect the sound back at you .....

Track getting prepped ready for action :)

The more lively end of he campsite right on the corner facing the big screen

Don't ask

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

hot66

Post by hot66 »

Now it was at this point car problem no 2 occurred ..... One of JohnM s fancy sticky tyres decided to go flat, the offside rear. No problem you'd have thought, so john gently drove it up onto the Tarmac track so he could jack it up and swap on the spare .....which would have been fine if john hadn't brought a jack that worked perfectly when there are no oil cooler pipes fitted.... Unfortunately John had fitted a front oil cooler ! I could remind john at this point the exact words of advice I gave ;) .... But let's just say johns idea of loosening the oils pipe clamps on the sill so he could get the jack on worked fine to allow the wheel to be changed .... Flat tyre sorted , massive oil leak from the thermostat area now problem no 3 :(

Unfortunately the slight movement of the return pipe had highlighted a weak area where the pipe olive / flange had split. Not good and looking like game over for the 2.2e :(
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

I bet the air was blue!
hot66

DDK to LeMans ....

Post by hot66 »

So, Saturday morning came and so did the crowds

We watched some of the support races, The Aston Martin race and the classic race

Video here of the astons

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/hot66/m ... k.mp4.html

The it was time to jump on the free bus and head into the circuit for the start of the race :)

Bumper crowd this year, and you could tell

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

hot66

DDK to LeMans ....

Post by hot66 »

And in all the crowds , I heard a voice I recognised , and there was Alan and his wife from Scotland ( Alan with the 964RUF that joined us all for the Scottish Ddk trip)

Were Audi going to win again ?

Girls :)

More girls :)

Superb Lego RSR

Meat for breakfast, meat for lunch , meat for tea .... The LeMans diet

Back Mulsanne and back to the racing .... Was convinced this wasn't going to be the winning car

thought Webber had it in car 17

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

hot66

Post by hot66 »

Some of us managed to stay up later than others , but to be fair by sat night tiredness was starting to catch up with us all .

Appolgies for photo quality, hope they shows the atmosphere though

Photobomb by a strange woman :lol:

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

dean1057
DDK forever

Post by dean1057 »

Great report James, any more to come?
964 C4 1990, Metallic Black
3.0SC 1978 Targa Imported from California, Guards Red
3.2 RS Replica, 1984 GP White & Blue
997 gen 2 Gt3, 2010 Aqua Blue
996TT Riveria Blue.....sold to Geebee but not forgotten
and a few Motorbikes!!!!
hot66

DDK to LeMans ....

Post by hot66 »

Unlike the classic, the noise is relentless .... Which from my point of view actually made it easier to sleep , .... Which was useful as Sunday we were leaving before the end of the race to make it up to the tunnel for 16:30. It did mean though that conversation was nigh on impossible whilst sat watching and ear plugs were needed . He big screen was superb and unlike the classic you could actually follow the race :)

So what about johns car ... John and Paul headed into Mulsanne and found a friendly garage that repaired the puncture in johns tyre and then tried to seal the oil leak using a jubilee clip and some rubber , unfortunately this didn't work :(

Back at the campsite, a few beers in and armed with he old inner tube and a pair of scissors john fashioned and array of rubber strips and managed to come up with a nifty modded version of what the garage man had tried to do ... And this time it was successful :)

The big test was going to be Sunday on the 6 hour cross country drive up to the tunnel .... We drove a short way and checked all was fine, then continued on with a couple of extra stops making sure all was well .... And it was :)

Only issue we had was my attempt at ordering some food at a local patisserie where we ended up with a weird folded pizza thing to share between us all and then discovered it had anchovies init .... And I hate fish !

So they we are, set off from Cambridge 4am fri, back in the UK 5:30 on Sunday, with both me and John having another 5hours driving ahead of us :)

I got home just as the sun was setting

Amazing weekend with great friends.... 2000 Km's in total for me door to door, a bit of oil used , a bit of petrol used and some great French roads and another great bonding road trip for me and the 964. It has really got under my skin and the perfect car for his kind of road trip ....... Next year the Classic again ;)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Darren65 »

hot66 wrote:..... Next year the Classic again ;)
.....and very much looking forward to that.

Great report James........happy days :)
Burma-Shave
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Burma-Shave »

Brilliant stuff, 964 looking good, great news that John's car got fixed. :cheers:
I had no idea you could just camp in the woods at Mulsanne..
As John would put it..well jel. Def up for the classic again too. :)
1990 964 C4, 1999 Boxster 2.5
'89 BMW E30 325i Touring. '83 Mercedes 280E. '84 Citroen 2CV. '16 BMW i3 REx. '03 BMW R1100S. '99 Yamaha R1. '79 BMW R100 scrambler.

Member#0336
hot66

DDK to LeMans ....

Post by hot66 »

To answer questions .... John, yes I have a spare dme in the glove box, not fitted it though. Only had that problem once before , exactly the same weather, early morning fresh yet damp ... Rennlist reckon it could be the dme playing up I those conditions. Also had a slight hot,start issue exactly when the car needed to start as it was in the que to get on the train but again seems a common thing.

Johnny , don't tell too many, it was superb camping at Mulsanne as it was quiet on the Friday, and on the Saturday / Sunday you were right there in the action. Lots of spectators coming and going of course , but as there were not that ,any campers the toilets and showers were clean and no ques. Downside was the distance to the centre of the track, but there is a free bus service, although the ques for that were huge at certain times

For the classic, it's not really given as an option as there is no bus service running although I do remember a few campers there last time

Darren, the classic in the Mongral ;) ..... I might even see if I can break my run of CLM bad luck and take the S again
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster