DDKers at Centre Gravity today !

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

oldtimer
DDK forever

Post by oldtimer »

A great visit organised by hot66 ( James).

Centre Gravity do suspension setup aka 'geometry' and are adept at Porsche old and new , theme of this visit was understanding torsion bars , so any 911 pre 1990 was relevant. Anyway heres a few pictures of the cars and people gathering outside....starting with the organiser who was not the first to arrive...

..and a lot of interest in a black targa....

then switching to inside , needed a volunteer vehicle to be vibrated.....

...following the testing of Sanjay's 2.7RS , another vehicle was given the shakes

....a quick discussion followed , Chris Franklin , Mr Centre Gravity , had kindly allowed us to muck about with his 911 , a hands on removal and replacement of front and rear torsion bars....simples.....then a vote taken to try it out on Sanjay's car
(NOT)
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Many thanks to Chris and all at Centre of Gravity. A very generous and enthusiastic demonstration of 911 suspension torsion bar suspension setup.
Very interesting to see my corner weights
1074 kg for a targa isn't bad :) but 51.2% cross corners wasn't quite right. so Chris tweaked the front torsion adjusters...Image
and 50.2% was spot on and cross axles spot on too :)
It felt pretty good on the way home too :)
Many thanks CoG !!
and to Hot66 for starting the whole thing off. Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: DDKers at Centre Gravity today !

Post by Bootsy »

Sounds like an informative and productive day. Would love to have been there
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by markm »

What a cracking day, very informative. Thanks Chris & Peter for giving us the lesson and to your good lady wife and daugther for feeding us and keeping us watered. The cookies were fab. Also well done James for organising it.

Being a complete novice in car mechanics and the in and outs of the car, i found the day very interesting and informative to understand the torsion bar/ geometry/ suspension set up. I will definately be going back with a car in tow.
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card
Uk911
DDK forever

Post by Uk911 »

My first ever ddk day and I have to say what a great bunch of guys, a really informative day and coffee and bacon buns, well done to James for organising it and Chris for having us brilliant...Mark..
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Uk911 wrote:My first ever ddk day
Hope losing your virginity was pleasurable. It gets better the more you do it!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

I had the suspension on my 993 C4S fully "serviced" and "set up" by Chris and Pete a few months ago - can't recommend them highly enough, extremely thorough and very professional.

Interesting to see one of my old cars on the same ramp ! hope it's going well Sanjay.

Steve
Peter
I luv DDK!

Post by Peter »

A great day and of course I echo all the praise to Chris, his wife and daughter and Peter for all they did, as well as James for organising. Many thanks. 3hrs with the heated seats on and I was just about thawed out when I got home.
Peter
'72 911T
'52 80” Series 1
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

A big thanks to Chris Peter Jane and Sophie for a great day. A very warm welcome and a tasty bacon bun to start the day. A great introduction to the black art of geometry and a few quid raised for charity. Another succesful DDK event. Thanks to Mr hot66 for organising the day.

Kind regards.
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Huge thanks to Chris, Jayne, Peter & Sophie :) . They put on a great event for us all. I learned a lot & really enjoyed the day. I'll update later with the amount of money raised + I'll have details of a very generous offer that is going to be auctioned on DDK for our £10K for 10 years 8)

A few photos of the day :)

Chris welcoming everyone with a brief history on Porsche suspension design

Sanjay's loverly RS

Front Suspension

Dampers being tested

Jayne spent half the day outside in the cold stuck in a small cooking tent preparing bacon & sausage butties, which were fab ;) Lunch time :)

Back to work .. I always thought Sladey was taller ;)

working on the rear suspension .. feeling the subtleties of re-indexing

Tim's Targa having it's corner weights measured

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

A big thank you to everyone for a superb day. The whole thing was put together extremely well and is was great to meet Chris and the team and catch up with DDKers. The chat was great with old friends who I haven't seen for ages and with those guys met for the first time. It was great to finally meet Sanjay and his lovely RS and reacquaint with Ian and his immaculate S and Tim who's targa is really a very nice car (never seen it in the flesh before).
The curry night before was full of chat and a great idea to kick things off.
Biggest thanks to Chris at Centre of Gravity for presenting such an informative day (the enthusiasm is obvious) and to James for organising and for the interesting drive down and back. Well worth the trip. Managed to get home right on midnight on some very quiet roads.

Here's to the next one!

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

What a great way to spend the weekend. Couple of hours nattering in the hotel then off for a curry and more chin wagging. Up the next morning for a full English and on to spend the day learning about suspension set-ups inter spaced with more banter.

And on top of that a few more quid for the charity.

As they say over here all Good Craic.

Big thanks to Chris and the team and also to James for organising it and finding a good place to stay.

What's next?

Cheers
Jon
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

73SJM
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 73SJM »

Thanks to everyone involved with organising the day, Chris and his team presented everything at the right level to learn and understand easily which was interspersed with lots of refreshments. It makes me realise that I should be able to do a bit more work on my car myself.

Good to see some familiar faces and meet new ones too, as always a great DDK atmosphere.

Look forward to another one.
Regards

Simon
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Great day - really enjoyed it all. Big thanks to Chris, Peter, and Chris' wife and daughter for everything. Really enjoyed the craic. I've done my own suspension front and rear previously so it was interesting to find out where I'd gone wrong. Also the whole idea of re-indexing the bars was shrouded in mystery to my - I wouldn't be afraid to have a crack at it now. Chris comes across as someone who really really really knows his stuff but who is also a real enthusiast and a nice guy. I also learned a bit about the correct grease to use on alu parts and also on my nipples. Finally I was able to relieve Chris of some leftover black interior bits and pieces - thanks Chris

A great day and hopefully we raised a bit for 10K in 10 years and also the charity Chris was collecting for

Forgot to say thanks to James for pulling it all together as well
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah