Are you really Insured

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Are you really Insured

Post by mdmax72 »

My insurance is up soon and thought i'd test the market place to see if any pennies could be saved by switching. As we live in a society were being loyal to one insurer provider does not pay anymore???

Phoned round and with all the usual questions, waiting for a few to call back.

Hagerty on the other hand did bring something to light. They asked all the usual questions, what year it was "65" etc etc but also went on to ask when the car was registered or what was the title on the log book or does it have Historic status?? after confirming the log book states it was first registered in 2010, he asked if it had been throught the IVA. Yes l replied, he then went on to tell me my car cant be insured as a classic as it was registered in 2010. Ok, he told me this is coming up alot now not just with Speedsters but other kits. So he said he could only quote me as a new car and wanted £548 f/comp and if it had Historic status it would have been £138 f/comp.

So you guys that went throught the IVA and are insured with Hagerty did you come across this?? Would be really intrested to here...

So what he said basically is, if you have a prang and you claim, your insurance will walk away as you will have Classic insurance in place when you have a Newly registered car. We know what Insurance firms are like for finding excuses to pay out. This is really worrying. As we all drive round thinking were covere but Not....
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
Le Samourai
DDK addict

Re: Are you really Insured

Post by Le Samourai »

I thought you could keep the donor cars title with a VW based kit? Or does the iva test automatically mean a new title?
Got the 911 itch.......and the 356 itch.......and the..
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Mine has the title Chesil on the logbook, nothing stating Vw.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

bonerp
DDK slapper chatter

Post by bonerp »

Mine is registered Pilgrim Speedster. I reinsured last week with Hagerty and increased the agreed value now its finished. They know its been re-registered (I forgot to give them the new reg after DVLA inspection last year as had a note from DVLA saying its not registered through the MIB - I rang them about this in Feb when the tax disc came through and gave them the new reg) and they know its been IVA'd as this was confirmed last year. Cost me £158 as I said from last week (18th). Confirmation of agreed value came through yesterday.

New boy maybe?

Its registered with an age related plate too. Although tbh I suspect this doesnt give the right to use and black and silver number plate...as the actual registration was 2011?!?
Built a Pilgrim Speedster...only down one kidney

My build: https://sites.google.com/site/bonerp356/home

http://www.Speedsterclinic.co.uk

Now for sale! Next project looms...
kitchens
DDK slapper chatter

Post by kitchens »

Interesting ...my V5 has the car registered as VW 1500 Sports Historic Vehicle reg 28/8/1969 and is on a H plate black and silver .I just got tax last week and the disc says the same on it .
I am with Hagerty think it is around £138 and that is an agreed £25k value as i send them pics as part of the quote .
Brian
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

It was elderly gent on the other end of the phone. So took it for granted he new is trade?? Will call again tomorrow for another quote and see what happens
Rich

DDK Member 0547

shambly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by shambly »

kitchens wrote:Interesting ...my V5 has the car registered as VW 1500 Sports Historic Vehicle reg 28/8/1969 and is on a H plate black and silver .I just got tax last week and the disc says the same on it .
I am with Hagerty think it is around £138 and that is an agreed £25k value as i send them pics as part of the quote .
Brian
That's not good news.... There is nothing that legally indicates that the donor Beetle has been converted into a speedster replica and an MOT station is within its rights to refuse to MoT it... Not to mention if you ever had an accident...
bonerp
DDK slapper chatter

Post by bonerp »

but what should the V5 state then and where/what are the guidelines? Bit worrying if DVLA and VOSA can't align their processes!?

Maybe we should submit a challenge to parliament :drunken:

kitchens
DDK slapper chatter

Post by kitchens »

Passed its MOT no problem last week not one advisory showed the MOT station the V5 and the last certificate, and all the old V11 forms show the same details.Also found the application form to register the car V627/1 and the old V55/5 and it describes it as a VW Speedster all the subsequent V11 have all described it as a VW Historic Sports vehicle . I take on board what has been said but the DVLA shows it as same i suppose it is the interpretation of what a historic VW looks like What is in a name Chesil. Beck .Pilgrim. Americanna. Apal .Martin Walker .Vintage speedster .
Brian

Ps Just phoned McGurks who sell the Vintage speedsters and asked the question and they said there vehicles as registered as VW
stevesprite
DDK above all

Post by stevesprite »

Mine is registered as a Pilgrim California in section 4 on the V5 with Convertible as the body type and Historic Vehicle as the taxation class. There is also the following in section 3 (special notes) on the front page

1) Was registered and/or used. declared manufactured 1972.

2) Rebuilt assembled from parts some or all of which were not new.
Pilgrim "California" Speedster
stevesprite
DDK above all

Post by stevesprite »

Do Mcgurks put their cars through IVA ? I thought that you could no longer get tax exemption on a newly built speedster ?
Pilgrim "California" Speedster
kitchens
DDK slapper chatter

Post by kitchens »

Importers of Vintage Speedsters http://www.mcgurk.com
bonerp
DDK slapper chatter

Post by bonerp »

mine says 2011 registered using re-used parts. Says nothing about historic vehicles...wonder if I'd have a problem with claim...

seems to be an issue developing here

ims101
I luv DDK!

Post by ims101 »

Hummm this is an interesting one!
Mine is registered on the V5 as a VW and I have trid to get it changed to a Chesil (but I haven't tried very hard, note to self must contact DVLA :lol: ) it is also a historic car so free tax! My MOT also says VW but I insure the car as a Chesil Speedster? I have had a claim and it wasn't a problem.
McGurk don't IVA their cars so you don't have this problem but I've never heard of this before!!
Ian
356 Replica with 911sc
Rita the Queen of Speed!
shambly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by shambly »

kitchens wrote:Passed its MOT no problem last week not one advisory showed the MOT station the V5 and the last certificate, and all the old V11 forms show the same details.Also found the application form to register the car V627/1 and the old V55/5 and it describes it as a VW Speedster all the subsequent V11 have all described it as a VW Historic Sports vehicle . I take on board what has been said but the DVLA shows it as same i suppose it is the interpretation of what a historic VW looks like What is in a name Chesil. Beck .Pilgrim. Americanna. Apal .Martin Walker .Vintage speedster .
Brian

Ps Just phoned McGurks who sell the Vintage speedsters and asked the question and they said there vehicles as registered as VW
The good news is that it sounds like you have the documentation to prove that you reregistered the car after it was converted to a speedster. Dubious manufacturers don't bother, leave the car as a VW, and technically the car is not legal to use on the public highway. Even worse are some of the importers who register the car in a friendly US state as a genuine 1957 Porsche, and reregister it based on those credentials in the uk. Based on what mccgurks say I'd stay well clear of their cars.

My car is typically of early Chesils and is registered as a VW Chesil Speedster on the V5

But the key thing is evidence it was correctly reregistered after conversion