911 fan for VW

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

a1coalboy
DDK Seasoned Poster

911 fan for VW

Post by a1coalboy »

This post may upset a few but im pulling the engine out of my 356 and replacing with a vw type IV. For me its a cheaper way to more oomph and I want to do some track days without selling a kidney and upgrading the porsche lump (the porsche engine is fine and will probably sit in the garage looking sad).

As the cars an outlaw I want to fit the upright porsche cooling but am not sure which model has which fan, Im after the deeper fan which I think is 260mm diameter.

If anyones got one I need it complete with alternator and pully (in working order) or some advice on which fan is which??

Cheers Simon
Jeremy 356 (Jez 356)
DDK above all

Re: 911 fan for VW

Post by Jeremy 356 (Jez 356) »

I remember putting a type 4 onto a Chesil Speedster but got all the bits through Steatside Tuning - I think they are still working?

Might be the best route??

All the best and good luck

Regards Jeremy
KEVFITZ
Married to the DDK

Post by KEVFITZ »

HI,

Just to confirm Stateside is still going strong....James Calvert is the man...I believe he sells all the kits/shrouds and even turnkey engines on Type 4 ...v knowledgable man

Regards,

Kevin
MdR

Post by MdR »

KEVFITZ wrote:Just to confirm Stateside is still going strong....James Calvert is the man...
sales@statesidetuning.co.uk
Martin Rogers
+44 (0)7812 167547
'69 Ossi blue warmrod 3.0 911T
[sold & sorely missed]'67S '70 Targa T '75 914/4 x 2
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

You'll need to have the breather block on the crankcase milled down to accept the fan shroud you know! You can get kits that fix above the breather block but it pushes everything up which maybe something to consider so that your engine lid still shuts.

Otherwise Ebay is good for the fan, shroud and alternator, anything pre 1989 is suitable for the application.

Only thing to consider which I have mentioned before on your other post, Type iv power isn't that much of a cheap option.

Bag of info here:
http://www.tunacan.net/t4/
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/
http://www.laperformance.co.uk/blog/?page_id=260

You'll need to consider clutch, induction and linkage (carbs or EFI), custom exhaust, engine mountings, ignition, etc. It isn't a bolt on option and can be anything but a cheap alternative to rebuilding a 356 motor. Is your 356 6v or 12v?

What's your source Type iv off? Bus, 914? If the type iv you have is pretty much standard then 911 cooling can be a bit too much cooling and saps more engine power to turn. OK it looks good when you lift the engine lid though.
KEVFITZ
Married to the DDK

Post by KEVFITZ »

Hi,

Good option is "hot " VW T1: 1776 gives about 102bhp ( all new +built up about 5000 pounds.)

Can go up to 130,160 bhp with stroker cranks ...parts cheaper than Porsche + keep 356 engine stored for refit when required.

As been discussed on forum before 356 rebuild upwards of 8000+ pounds
Regards,
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

5k for hot type I 1776 where you buying your motors from! You've got to be joking, no way that much unless you are buying top Gene Bert kit or similar.
a1coalboy
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by a1coalboy »

Thanks for the advice. The tricky bit on the extra horsepower is when you have a 356 engine which doesnt need a rebuild!! And to make matters worse between my mechanic friend and I we have most VW bits for the hot typeIV engine inc the milled case. Just need the cooling bits.

Cheers
KEVFITZ
Married to the DDK

Post by KEVFITZ »

Nige,

I don't think 5000 quid for an all new complete turn key,blueprinted T1 with twin dells built by John Maher Racing is a bad price.

At least it will run well,perform and be reliable....I'm sure you know there are many not so "expert" vw engine builders around!!

I had a JMR engine in my 912 in the early eighties and it was so good and smooth that I didn't replace the 912 motor until I sold the car...and then I was able to sell the 1776 Vw engine with very little loss :) :) .

Regards,

Kevin