Am i mad

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

saxon
DDK forever

Am i mad

Post by saxon »

2010 mini mayfair cooper s
1999 mini cooper works s

Peter
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

Quite mad I`m afraid.

But then look at that marcasite dashboard and the ashtrays in the sills, the headlamps made of clarks shoe boxes and the fact you have to lay on your back to drive it.. and it all starts to make sense.

I nearly bought one 30 years ago but found out how much rear tyres cost just in time. I have always hankered after one... that and an Interceptor but let`s not go there... for there truly does lead the road to madness. :)

Mike.
Fitz
DDK above all

Post by Fitz »

Hi Peter,

How about this one...

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C186195

and you won't have to go over the water to look at it.

I don't think you can passit off as a Porsche though :wink:
Anthony.

'66 RHD 912
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Don't you need to take the engine out to check the oil level?

A freind had one back in the day and Bell and Colville looked after it. The bills were eye-watering!

Graham
richkaz
DDK rules my life!

Post by richkaz »

If it's anything near as expensive as my old Lotus Excel to own - run a mile !
This non turbo 2.2l car is an interesting comparison to a 2.2 911 as a classic 'toy'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfq0cE17JX8
“Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three
decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good "..

1971 911 2.2T sold
1970 911 2.2S Sold but remains within DDK
1959 Lancia Flaminia PF Coupe
Sam

Post by Sam »

I toyed with the idea for a while. They seem very cheap compared to any other equivalently peforming classic and I love the way they look. I viewed four 70s and 80s cars before deciding they weren't ever going to be cheap enough and that a 90s car would probably be a much better bet. I looked at two of those before giving up completely.

One of the 90s ones was a GT3 and was a proper hoot to drive.

I'm sure a nice one must exist somewhere, but I couldn't be arsed to spend my life trying to find it. :(
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
alfacat
I luv DDK!

Post by alfacat »

Hi Saxon
What a great looking car, love the colour, wheels and interior.
I think the cars an S2 (as opposed to an S2.2) with a 2.0L engine (great to drive but not that fast), the thing to remember with an old Lotus is that they're 'very hand made' and suffer from all the low volume production issues that come with this, so don't expect that Porsche hewn from stone feeling.
I've owned (and loved) a couple of Elans and they require constant maintenance, however my +2 was restored by Daytune (part of the Lotus classic network, officially sanctioned service/restoration agents for older cars, what a great idea) and if maintained to the stated levels was totally reliable but miss a service at your peril.
Oh and while Esprit bodies don't rot the chassis can and do, so have a good poke around underneath if you get the chance.

All the best
Ian F.

Ps. Don't let any of the above put you off, a sorted Lotus is a pleasure to own and a joy to drive.

Gone but not forgotten
72 2.4 T in Sepia (Charlie)
60s, 70s, 80s, 90s & 00s Alfas
Caterhams (one fast & one very Fast!)
and a few old Lotus.

Still with us
997 C2S (Alice) & M&W 550 Spyder (Lil Caesar)
saxon
DDK forever

Post by saxon »

Thanks all

i am aware they can be high maintenance cars i just really love the looks
of the s1 s2 s3 cars i don't think i would really want to buy one, being not (mechanically minded) and as you all say the costs of keeping one on the road
could be very expensive.

Best stick with bullet proof porsches :wink:
2010 mini mayfair cooper s
1999 mini cooper works s

Peter
louis356
I luv DDK!

Post by louis356 »

I've also been looking at these cars and just wandering why they are so cheap!

but I suppose that as you all say they're expensive to keep on the road. but I remember when I was going to swap my Suzuki SJ410 for a Merc pagoda and everyone said noooo!! keep the new car. that old merc will cost you the earth to keep on the road.

I bet the Merc is still going strong and the Suzuki is a can of beans.

Still fancy a Lotus tho' how expensive really?
-Macs speed shop-
V dubs and Porsche tubs
87 924S (Now dead or is it?)
62 356 (Working on it!)
66 912 (Sadly gone - but have you seen the price of it!!)
Apal speedster (Sadly gone)
BSA Bantam in bits
A35 Race car in the making (peanutracing)
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

The other problem for me is that I really didn't get the driving experience. I know it's a Lotus, but felt like a bit of a bus to me!
Graham
alfacat
I luv DDK!

Post by alfacat »

Hi Guys
I think part of the problem is that as Lotus were not the best built cars in the first place, they gained a reputation for unreliability and resale prices dropped.
The price of an Esprit Turbo new was a lot less than a 308 GTB for example and manly owners where unprepared/unwilling to pay for the race car levels of care a performance car needs, this men't latter less well healed (like this little black duck) owners tried to run them on an insufficient budget and the circle continued.
So what all the above means to say is it's catch 22, they're cheap because they were always cheap!
Still find a good one (well worth the effort) and they're a truly great drive.

All the best

Ian F.

Gone but not forgotten
and a few old Lotus.

Still with us
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

alfacat wrote: Still find a good one (well worth the effort) and they're a truly great drive.
Couldn't get more diverse views than me n Ian!
alfacat
I luv DDK!

Post by alfacat »

Hi Graham
Just a question, what model Esprit did you drive? Its just that the S1, S2 (inc 2.2) and S3 cars feel a lot lighter and more pointy to drive than the Peter Stevens cars (the V8 especially is very different to drive than the early four pot cars). Its like comparing a 2.2 with Carrera 3.2, similar yet very different!
The Esprit (to me anyway) always felt far more neutral and balanced than an impact bumper 911 but not as much fun as a pre 73 car.
I guess it depends on your point of reference my Alfa Sprint GT (1964) felt like a bus after an Elan (67), almost anything feels like a bus after a Caterham 7 (except a Lotus 7) and my current GTV makes me wonder why I ever sold my 2.4T, but thats another story!

All the best
Ian F.

Gone but not forgotten
and a few old Lotus.

Still with us
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Two good points Ian. I drove my bosses turbo of early 90's vintage. I suspect my daily transport at the time was a Caterham!

Graham
alfacat
I luv DDK!

Post by alfacat »

Ah Ha!
Nice one Graham. Its that Caterham thing again, I ran a 1700 Super Sprint followed by a Superlight R (the factory development car with a few trick bits), thats 6 years of daily fun/insane motoring.
I still think the 1700 was a better daily drive (for the sane anyway) but the 'R' was such a blast, I spent half my time just hang on and the rest trying to breath!!!!

All the best
Ian F.

Gone but not forgotten
and a few old Lotus.

Still with us