Early Porsche Track Day at Goodwood Circuit (Sat 14th Aug)

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Ferry Man
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Early Porsche Track Day at Goodwood Circuit (Sat 14th Aug)

Post by Ferry Man »

I just wanted to start a fresh thread to discuss the ‘Autorevival’ track day at Goodwood on Saturday 14th August.
I’ve no financial interest but I think it will be a fantastic track day and you’d be wise not to miss it.
This event is being organised by DDK’er Stephen (TheBaron) and – bless him – he’s doing his best to keep it exclusively for early Porsches.
I’m certain he’s reluctant to use the forum as an advert but I’ll talk it up for him.
I have to say I think his vision will provide us with a great day at the circuit.

I’ve booked and so have several other DDK’ers but I’m surprised there’s not been more talk and enthusiasm. We ought to embrace this opportunity.
Now, I’ve organised a few exclusive track days myself and I know how difficult it is to make it all happen successfully yet this one holds considerable promise.
Apparently there will be trade stands and quite possibly a big overspill of spectators from the nearby ‘Vintage’ event at Goodwood. Nick Faure is even scheduled to fly in from Spain in order to drive folks around the track in their cars.

Goodwood is a lovely circuit and seems to suit the early cars. It's fast and fun so if you Soft Southern Nancies want to squeal your tyres click on that banner ad next time you see it go by or try this:

http://www.autorevival.co.uk/

Apologies for starting a fresh thread in ‘General Chat’ but here’s the earlier one in events:
http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29574
Paul

'74 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 (MFI) - Lime Green
'94 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (993) - Mexico Blue
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

i seem to have volenteered to man a DDK stand it would be good to have a good display of cars around it. so if you don't fancy throwing your car around the track (and Goodwood is a lovely track for older cars) then you'll be able to park your car and enjoy the show.

Have to say this appeals to me alot more than Castle Hedingham where it's just a static display. here you'll be able to see and hear these cars doing what they were built to do :P
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

I couldn't agree more Paul. This has the promise of becoming a great event for early Porsche owners. I can't make this one as I am over in the USA on business, which is a real shame for me as I was looking forward to it.

This is an event that is definately worth supporting, having a good balance between track day and static day. Being on a Saturday as well should give more people the chance to go. And there's the Vintage show to visit as well so plenty to do.

Ian.
TDK
DDK slapper chatter

Post by TDK »

I'm definitely interested in coming along and hopefully tracking my car.

I see the noise limit is 105dB, but how is this measured? I think it's from 1 meter, but at what revs? I've got a sound pressure meter, so I can test myself.

Can we hire helmets on the day?

Simon.
1973 Gemini Blue 911
Vic Cohen
I luv DDK!

Post by Vic Cohen »

Goodwood strict but reasonably fair , abt a metre ,3/4 max revs............sometimes been asked to warm up by driving up and down the lane !

i ll bring a couple of spare helmets if that helps?

Should be available on the day though
Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

TDK wrote:I see the noise limit is 105dB, but how is this measured?
Simon, you'll be fine at Goodwood on a 105db day.
They'll probably test at 4,500rpm.
I've also got a spare helmet if you want a borrow.
Paul

left4dead

Post by left4dead »

Tempted, very tempted....

Yellow car is spitting flames at the mo' though. Would need to get it tuned prior to any circuit activity and I'm desperately trying not to spend any dosh :roll: :(

Dammit.
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

left4dead wrote:Yellow car is spitting flames at the mo' though.
That doesnn't sound like it needs tuning. Sounds about perfect.
Get it on track Steve. :lol:
Paul

TDK
DDK slapper chatter

Post by TDK »

Ferry Man wrote:Simon, you'll be fine at Goodwood on a 105db day.
They'll probably test at 4,500rpm.
I've also got a spare helmet if you want a borrow.
Fingers crossed, but the combination of carbs, high-flow air filters and a 7200 rpm redline don't make for a quiet car! I'll test it at the weekend, so we'll see! :)

Thanks for the offer of a loan of a helmet - I may well take you up on that.

Simon.
Last edited by TDK on Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1973 Gemini Blue 911
Jez 356
Married to the DDK

Post by Jez 356 »

I would love to go on this in the 356 but will be abroad then

So will have to hope it is a big success and then try again next year

Good luck anyway

Regards Jeremy
Jez
1956 356A
www.356registry.org/Members/Mardle/index.html to see my car but the pics needs updating.
High mileage workhorse 02 Chrysler PT Cruiser CRD
early2.2S
DDK addict

Post by early2.2S »

I meant to sign up for this a few weeks ago when i saw the original thread - i didn't then but have now!!
Looking forward to it
Regs
Stuart
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

That is good news Stuart if you will be in the Targa. It should make at least two there.
TDK
DDK slapper chatter

Post by TDK »

Tested the noise level of the car today - 99dB at 1 meter and 4500 rpm, so all good! :)

Simon.
1973 Gemini Blue 911
TheBaron
DDK slapper chatter

Post by TheBaron »

Thanks Paul for your kind words and all who have shown an interest.

Regarding noise levels, I have had a tip from Nick Faure, if your at all concerned (Most cars will be fine), when the car is being tested he has suggested that putting a blanket over the engine making sure there are no tangly bits to fowl the belt will reduce the noise considerably, when car has passed test remember to remove the blanket.

I will have a couple of spare helmets on the day too.

Once again thank you for all your support, I really hope that this can be built into an event to be remembered and repeated.

Regards

Stephen
Last edited by TheBaron on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBaron
DDK slapper chatter

Post by TheBaron »

Forgot to mention, if anyone wants to go to the "Vintage Festival" up at the house I have a special promotional code that gives you 25% discount off your tickets, just PM me and I can give you the code, you can then either phone Goodwood up or go online and use the code to purchase your tickets.

Stephen