Fuel Problems ??

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

dlampard
DDK Seasoned Poster

Fuel Problems ??

Post by dlampard »

Got the 912 out today for a run. Initially the drive went well. A quick blast for about half a mile. On returning home the car conked out and wouldn't start. I checked some things and then unscrewed the jubilee clip to the fuel filter.....No fuel was evident at all. I syphoned some fuel out by sucking on the fuel hose. When some eventually came out, I reconnected the filter etc and cranked the engine over. After some turning over the car gave an almighty backfire and then started.. After another short drive....................the same thing happened again. (sounds like fuel starvation)
I looked inside the fuel tank and all appears resonably clean.

Has anyone got experience of this type of thing ?? I am thinking of replacing/repairing the fuel pump or possibly fitting an electric pump.

Any suggestions
nickT
DDK forever

Post by nickT »

Hi,

there is a gauze filter at the outlet of the tank, this may be blocked.
It could be old collapsed rubber fuel hose causing a blockage or restricting flow.
The diagphram in the pump may be split.

I ditched my worn out mechanical pump and fitted a Facet pump at the front of the car and pressure reg. in the engine bay. All works well.

I think you'll need to go through the system and find the problem.

Cheers, Nick.
dlampard
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by dlampard »

Thanks Nick,

Is it easy to fit a pump etc as you've decribed ??

I've ordered a fuel pump repair kit today, to see if that helps.

The car runs fine at first, but once warmed up (or after a mile or so drive) it conks out - need to leave it about 15mins before it starts again......

Dan
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

Had the same problem with my 914.
The problem turned out to be a bit of plastic tape getting sucked in to the outlet of the fuel tank.
atomman
Married to the DDK

Post by atomman »

Have you checked the fuel filter, it may be blocked restricting flow ?

If the pump diaphram is split it may explain why it conks out after a while as the pump wouldn't keep up with the carbs fuel demands when driving but will be allright at idle sat there.

i had this problem on my old squareback after alot of investiagtion it just turned out to be a blocked fuel filter tucked away above the gear box that i hadn't found. I had already changed the one i did find.

hope this help

Gary
dlampard
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by dlampard »

The car has a new fuel filter- in line in engine compartment before the fuel pump - so don't think it's this filter (do 912's have another filter hidden away somewhere??).

Will check the pump diaphram at the weekend, but from recognition this was replaced not long ago.

The last time it conked out, it was idling and just cut out dead. I thought it had run out of fuel, but after adding some it still wouldn't start. This is when I removed the fuel filter and sucked some fuel through.....then the bang - My uncle is still complaining he can't hear properly.

Took the fuel sender out to see if the tank was 'dirty'. The tank looks resonably in good nick and the gauze filter in the tank looked clear.

I'm trying to get the car ready for June 8th for the London to Brighton Classic Car Run - Highly recommended it if anyone's interested.
dlampard
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by dlampard »

Is there a link as to how to replace a fuel filter/repair one. The repair kit arrived yesterday and it says it must be pressured correctly as per workshop manual..............Anyone able to help ??
nickT
DDK forever

Post by nickT »

Hi Dan, what repair kit have you got, and what exactly are you repairing ? Pump or filter ?

Nick.
dlampard
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by dlampard »

I'm going to be attempting to replace the fuel pump. I've purchased a repair kit from Roger Bray and a label attached says to ensure that you adjust to the correct pressure..........???...............
nickT
DDK forever

Post by nickT »

Hi Dan,

i think the fuelpump will regulate it's own pressure, but what would be a good idea is to prime the system with fuel so you are not pumping air.
Nick.
dlampard
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by dlampard »

Can anyone help.....I'm now going to try and inspect the gauze filter at the outlet of the tank (also the breather). How do I go about this task ? Do I need to remove the tank?

If I do need a new tank, has anyone got any recommendations as to where I can find a well priced example.
nickT
DDK forever

Post by nickT »

Much easier with the tank out, easy job and you can give it a good clean.
I doubt you will need to replace it.
Nick.
dlampard
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by dlampard »

Are there any links etc as to how to remove the fuel tank ? Hoping to get it all done in half a day - is this realistic?
Evil J Guano
DDK forever

Post by Evil J Guano »

Had a similar problem at the last Classic Le Mans…

I'd start at the tank and work back.

My tank was full of crap, this had passed the gauze and blocked the fuel filter. The gauze in the fuel tank is pretty coarse and your tank would need to be very cruddy to block this. It's a pain to drain your tank and remove it if you don't have to.

Have you replaced the fuel filter? Mine was full of crud, which you could see as it was a transparent one, try blowing through it if you have steel one. Air should pass freely. Mine was impossible to blow through. Modern petrol is full of additives which seem to precipitate out over time, especially if you leave it for a long time. Double check the fuel filter as it can be a very fine brown deposit.

I also rebuilt my fuel pump, pretty easy job, not much evidence of any crud in there though. I did it just to make sure my whole system was cleaned out.

Idle jets did need a thorough clean too.

I'd try all of these before I thought of removing the tank.

I replaced my tank in the end as it was pretty rusted out, long and boring job. Had to be repainted/stonechipped as new tanks are only primed, I bent the fuel finger/gauze fitment too and had a real pain finding a new one.

Check fuel lines as suggested elsewhere.

Have you tried blowing from engine end to see if you can hear any bubbles tank side?

Fuel system is pretty simple so you should be able to find the culprit easily enough.

Good luck.
Cheers
Gavin
Gavin Joule
dlampard
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by dlampard »

Thanks Gavin,

I've ended up removing my fuel tank at the weekend as a magnet dropped inside, proved that there was a lot of metallic debris!!!!!
Can you remember where you sourced your tank from and fuel finger/gauze?

Dan