Ultimate 911?

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Ultimate 911?

Post by sladey »

For those of you not on pelican or Impact bumpers, this car has generated a lot of discussion

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=492416

It's certainly impressive, not entirely to my taste but also not my money
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

OK, I'll be brief because otherwise I may not be polite.
I like Rob's old car. I don't like this one.

I do like the clock, but nothing else.
I hate those tyres that don't appear to fit the rims.

That's all. :roll:
Paul

'74 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 (MFI) - Lime Green
'94 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (993) - Mexico Blue
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I agree with Paul - doesn't do it for me ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
KS

Post by KS »

I love it! But then I would... :)
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Peter
I luv DDK!

Post by Peter »

Doesn't do it for me...a few too may modern touches...although I do like that mirror 8)
Peter
'72 911T
'52 80” Series 1
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

i like it.. there are things i don't realy like for example the radio and the rev counter, the headlights and the little lip spoiler under the front bumper, but as an overall package it looks good and has obviously been done to a very high standard..

the engine?!.. what a piece of work!

personaly i'd have done similar but more period looking cosmetically (possibly more 911R than RSR in the looks department) but overall its a great piece of kit!

b :)

ps.. is that tag chrono an original/period part or something he's had made?.. if its something he's made/added its a very nice (if slightly tongue in cheek) take on the new chrono-package option
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

This is the prototype - further versions will be available in the $275-$295k ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Project 911
DDK above all

Post by Project 911 »

Extremely nicely done but bit hard to see the point of this car.

(and for price; sorry to say but IMO it's just modified 911, not supercar or some historically important car...)
1967 911 resto-project
Luke
DDK rules my life!

Post by Luke »

Agree with the sentiment here, nicely done, some lovely touches (the clock is exceptionally cool) but at $250k (c.£150k) I really can't see who their market would be?
Porscheless but still aircooled
sladey

Post by sladey »

I don't think it stands up to pure financial examination - someone said on impact bumpers that he could have almost bought a carrera GT for the money.

If I had pots of money, then I'm not sure whether I would be buying a carrera GT - my money would probably go on a project like this - or like Chris Harris' green machine. My own version of the car would have a fair number of differences but that's just down to personal taste.

I would be comfortable driving something like this around because people will look at it and think 'stupid car/weird car/nice car' (all of which I'm fine with) but unlikely to think 'rich barsteward/Evil capitalist pigdog/Cock on a stick' (which I'm not so happy with) - driving a carrera GT you're in a different ballpark.

I quite like the idea of driving something that I know is the absolute nuts, but other people can't tell.

So the value is irrelevant to you and I, but for people who live in mad money land I can actually see the point.

You must get to the point though where you're spending an extra £10K on something that's only marginally different to something you can achieve for a tenth of that price. Like putting those neat thin black trims along the bottom of the bodywork (esp at the rear)

But if we're holding up overpriced stuff here then just compare some original tin from an RS with some original tin from an S or T or E - chances are they're all from the same foundry, and could easily be off the same production line. The only thing saying one is £5,000 and the other is £500 is a mystical thing called provenance and originality.

Is that any less ephemeral than custom-making those tidy little bits of black trim around the bottom of the body on this car? At least he can point to where the extra money went.

Oh god I'm off on one again. It's a good job I don't drink much - I can't imagine what crap would come out then. I really ought to go home now.

Anyway I suppose I'm saying

1. Ultimate 911? - well it's his ultimate 911 and that's all that matters
2. Value for money? If you've got the money and want to spend it on this then yes
3. Is there are market for it? Probably a small one - some folks have got plenty of money
4. Would I have this one? Nope. But I'd have my own version
5. What's the fastest living animal? The Cheetah

I'll get me coat
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Bobboloo
DDK Newbie

Post by Bobboloo »

This car sends me mixed signals. Is it a Cafe Racer, Bling Bling, or Kustom Hot Rod?

I prefer the old car. It was a simple Cafe Racer with warts and all.

I'm sure this new car is a blast to drive and for Rob it is the ultimate 911.
73' T Irish Green Targa 3.2 EFI
71' S Signal Orange Targa 2.2 MFI