86mm pistons?

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

andy rowe
DDK Seasoned Poster

86mm pistons?

Post by andy rowe »

ok my 912 lacks power so im going to have alook on thursday so a compression test first and give it a proper service,im guessing it needs a top end rebuild so if its going to be stripped i thought i would get some 86mm pistons the NPR set seems reasonable on ebay and i seen the shasta ones for double the price,what do people recomend to use.
where is james deans porsche 550 spyder?
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

Shasta.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
Ian Gunney
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Ian Gunney »

get saving!

NPRs are a very heavy piston compared to the shasta product - saying that, it all depends what you want (and how deep you wallet is)

if the whole motor is going to be stripped, the costs of the barrels and pistons aint your biggest concern....

price up a set of original Mahle's - that'll make the shastas seem good value!

Ian
1966 912 Karmann Coupe - polo red.
1972 914/6 GT replica - 2.7 - signal orange.
1961 Standard 217 Tractor.
2003 Boxster S.
1967 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.

http://www.redcastleclassics.com
atomman
Married to the DDK

Post by atomman »

I rebuilt my engine over the winter and it aint cheap, well compared to the VW engine's i was used to,

I started by finding a couple of broken piston land's so thought it would just be a new set of barrels and pistons :roll: , but once i started getting deeper new mains,big ends etc etc ......

My advise is if your gonna strip it you need to check/measure tolerance's on everything.
I did'nt want to spend my hard earned cash and then have it go bang a few hundred miles down the road.

If you just bolt on some barrels and pistons it mite be fine or it will probalby just show up some other weak point on the engine.
MartinP
DDK forever

Post by MartinP »

I put Shastas in my 912 and I think they were a great choice. Not cheap of course, but worth it.
ex-Porsche 912 owner, currently making do with a 1971 Volkswagen Beetle
1964 Series IIA Land-Rover
http://www.thatchamclassic.co.uk
andy rowe
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by andy rowe »

may go the extra for shastas,will find out tomorrow what the problem is,hopefully it will work out ok and i can collect the parts i need over a longer period,will keep you all posted.
where is james deans porsche 550 spyder?