Hypothetically speaking...

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

left4dead
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Hypothetically speaking...

Post by left4dead »

... if you had £40k to spend on a nearly new modern coupe (and I'm not saying I do exactly :wink: ) what would you go for?

911 (997) Carrera S? AMV8? Jaguar XKR?

These are all GREAT cars and very similarly priced for good, one owner, low mileage examples.

Are there any others that you would add to the list for consideration?

:?: :?: :?:

:) 8)
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

if it was my money, I'd be looking at a 996 GT3. Not much depreciation & muchos fun 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

How about a Continental GT? (but I would say that wouldn't I?)

£37K on Autotrader

As fast as you could ever wish for in absolute comfort 8)

..and that is mph not kmh :wink:
912uk

Post by 912uk »

I have to say I think for £37 K that's a lot of motor ALOT of motor

The Aliuminum guy has one near me, I asked him what he gets.. 12 to the gallon :shock: fills up once every 5 days :shock:

good job Ali sales keeps him in toys
58A - 71E
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by 58A - 71E »

912uk wrote:The Aliuminum guy has one near me, I asked him what he gets.. 12 to the gallon :shock: fills up once every 5 days :shock:
Try running a 911 as a daily commuter, every 5 days you say - luxury :wink: :lol:

Gotta say though, didnt realise those GT were that price now - but if it were me I'd be looking at the AM or Jag
James

'58 356A 1600n
'71 911E 2,2

IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

A second hand Cayman S and pocket at least 10K in change. If it has to have four seats then I am stuck. I can't think of one I'd actually want to buy.

Ian.
abash914
DDK slapper chatter

Post by abash914 »

Cayman S for me too. Modern day 914. Just right, unless you need room for other humans.
AA
Member # 323

914-4 KGV 25K
944 S2 G900 TGS
BMW 318 Touring - K9 Transport
MG ZT-T 260 SE V8.

BASS - the final frontier...
Paul_Revere
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Paul_Revere »

I'm ashamed to say it (Given the present company), but it would have to be the XKR- I had the pleasure of doing a palmer sport day last year with work and drove both the 911GT3(JP3) and the XKR, along with a multitude of other lovely motors- I had always expected sooooo much from the porker but found it to be quite bland to drive- The XKR however was a complete attack on the senses- The noise, the power, the balance, the outright speed of it! It just felt Perfect!! It completely changed my opinion of Jags! I alway's thought they were only fit for the golf club! anyway- I'm a fair way away from buying either of them so I can always dream can't I? :roll:
if this is my real name????
paulyb
DDK addict

Post by paulyb »

I'm a big jaguar fan - have a very early E-type and a MkII in the garage, and love the XKR.
But the Jonathon Palmer XKRs aren't exactly as they came off the dealer forecourt! Stripped out interior, lowered and stiffened suspension, uprated brakes...etc
That said it is where my hypothetical 40k would go 8)
Helen
Events Organiser

Re: Hypothetically speaking...

Post by Helen »

left4dead wrote:... if you had £40k to spend on a nearly new modern coupe (and I'm not saying I do exactly :wink: ) what would you go for?

911 (997) Carrera S? AMV8? Jaguar XKR?

These are all GREAT cars and very similarly priced for good, one owner, low mileage examples.

Are there any others that you would add to the list for consideration?

:?: :?: :?:

:) 8)
gosh, now you go me thinking. thats actually quite hard.
think i would proberly end up with an audi estate.
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

what about the maseratti thing? is it a grandsport or something?.. anyway there was one at auction a couple of weeks ago (dark grey, dark red interior, one owner, low miles) went for about £43k if i remember correctly..

love the AMV8, its gorgeous, but would never buy one for fear of it falling apart (we had a press demonstrator for a weekend just before the launch and they had to come fix it twice and took it away 1/2 way through sunday! )

jag?.. not for me, but they're not bad motors (although see above)

M6 coupe anyone?.. I think they're getting down there now, although i would prefer an M5 Touring as im a big estate car fan (god only knows why :lol: )
Although rather than the rattly V10 (M5 or M6) I'd probably go for a 650i and keep the change, get it chipped and waft my a$$ off!.. My old 545iSE touring did 27mpg, went like stink and was one of the most comfortable cars i've ever sat in)
sjm
DDK rules my life!

Post by sjm »

Interesting Steve - very interesting! Back in Nov I was having pretty much exactly the same thoughts, looking for good daily runner, bit of fun/ comfort and no more than £40k. Also had to be a convertible to my son really wants me to get one! As it happens I put plans on hold for a couple of months as prices started dropping like stone and I didn't want to get too burnt, but I drove the following...

335i M Sport convertible - very good, fun playing with the paddle shift (but not as good as my ex-Maser 4200) , solid, comfortable etc..

New shape Jag XK convertible - was gorgeous! Reminded me a lot of my Maser - very comfortable, great place to be sitting, felt very special. Sounded lovely as well.

I previously test drove a 997s and found it a little boring, and in fact that's what led me to try the Maserati. My only regret about the Maser is that I sold it! :cry:

For me it will be a close thing between the 335i Sport conv and the Jag. The BMW will be easier to live with as it has that much more room in the back, and is still a quick car - very smooth. But the Jag will always be the more special car to own... 8)
Simon Moore
1958 356A
1978 Aston Martin V8
1988 Jaguar XJS 3.6 manual
1959 Lambretta Li125