please help Dangerous petrol smell

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

wilkie
DDK Seasoned Poster

please help Dangerous petrol smell

Post by wilkie »

I have a 68 912 which runs well but when I park up or put the car in the garage I have real strong petrol smell. If I leave the garage door open for an hour the smell isn't so bad and after a day of sitting in the garage unused the smell goes. This gives me the impression that it isn't a leak. If it was a leak I would expect the smell to be constant. I have changed all the fuel lines in the engine bay.
Does anybody have suggestions of where to start looking. I don't like the smell and I don't like explosions. I'm going to Halfords to buy a fire extinguisher, but I'd like to solve the problem before I have to use it.

Please help
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

I'd check the petrol tank breathers are OK, is the fuel hard line that runs through the chassis tunnel good? The hose under the tank, has that been replaced?
revival-cars
DDK forever

Post by revival-cars »

As Nige says > Also worth checking the cork gasket under the fuel tank sender unit, as well as the gasket on the fuel cap.

The tank drain plug is worth a look. Check the fuel pump over for leaks & weeps, and ensure the flexi line behind the fan housing has been changed.

Good luck :)
Ian Gunney
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Ian Gunney »

are there any visible signs of fuel leaking around the carbs?
1966 912 Karmann Coupe - polo red.
1972 914/6 GT replica - 2.7 - signal orange.
1961 Standard 217 Tractor.
2003 Boxster S.
1967 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.

http://www.redcastleclassics.com
lewis
DDK above all

Post by lewis »

As Nige says > Also worth checking the cork gasket under the fuel tank sender unit, as well as the gasket on the fuel cap.
had the same problem with mine, replaced the gasket on the sender unit and all was fine. Couldn't find the correct gasket so raided my plumbing box and adapted a rubber one, worked a treat.

lewis
68 912
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

I know that this is stupid but is the filler cap on correctly, this was my problem when I had a smell of petrol :oops:
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

Yep, check for leaks on the carbs as Ian says, mine had the float levels all wrong so they weren't shutting off correctly and were overflowing through the gaskets. Was noticable by the yellow colour on the carb body.
wilkie
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by wilkie »

Thanks all for the quick response. I'm wondering if it is more likely to be the carbs because if it was a leaky fuel line or a damaged gasket or seal wouldn't the smell linger all the time not only when the car is driven?
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

Does the car require some persuasion to start from cold or from sitting for a while? if so then I'd agree with the above and say to take a good look at the carbs, nip up all the brass fixings

... or even better change all the fibre washers before you do as they can become dry, crack and cause leaks and make your car stinky and dangerous, an engine fire can really ruin your day

good luck
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor