Dannyboys 914 goes hillclmbing in 07

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

dannyboy
DDK addict

Dannyboys 914 goes hillclmbing in 07

Post by dannyboy »

Well after looking at various ways i can give the 914 a good thrash i've decided to be an occasional weekend warrior and get into hill climbs/sprints. Many reasons why really. It all seemed to boil down to money , time and how serious i want to get. I don't really want to take the car too far away from stock. It's nice as it is and removing interior etc , etc will wreck it.
So after doing some homework it seems i can run my car pretty much " as is" , few minor tweeks and thats it. The main thing for me is that the motor is far from stock and this will throw me into a certain class , ie not stock. Until i see the regs i don't know what else i can / can't do. Only applied today so will have to wait. Think at most for me it's all about rim size and tyres allowed. A choice of slicks or road legal ones. Pretty easy to be honest. Only other mods are a haness bar ( currently being made) harness , set of anti roll bars.
I'm lucky have use of a trailer and a van to tow should i need it ( thanks work! ) , have all the camping gear etc . That brings costs down and the costs aren't too bad really. I'm planning on doing hopefuly 5-6 venues and will need some tech support which is another small cost but so long as the motor holds up hopefully all's good. My club membership ( Nottingham Sports Car Club) is £30 , MIA racing license £30 , 2 sets of tyes , £60-£100 for each meet , few bits and bobs and should be not far off. Just got to keep it on the road and in one piece which i know won't happen :? Hopefully the biggest cost is racing overalls , boots helmet and gloves and doing it right thats a grand gone! Ouch!!!
The thing that appeals about the racing side of it is that i'm racing against myself really. There is no way i'll be able to compete , especially if i end up in a pretty wild class. Just gives me the chance to thrash the 914 , legally for a change. Will keep you posted :wink:

Right then where's my xmas list

Dan
:)
Last edited by dannyboy on Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
75 2.1 914 owner
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Sounds like fun, I used to do a bit of hillclimbing and sprinting in my old Golf. I was in the modified clas because I had very minor engine and suspension mods so was hopelessly outclassed by the competition, but as you say you compete against yourself and if you throw it off you only have yourself to blame :lol:
dannyboy
DDK addict

Post by dannyboy »

Well the way i look at it is this. The 914 is a weekend car only. There are only certain places , at certain times i can welly it and as we know public roads are not the place to be a hero. To me there is little point in owning a fast 914 if i can't flog it every now and then.
I've as much chance of stuffing it doing a hill climb/spint as i have bombing down a country lane on a early Sunday morning. I know my limits and it will take time to get used to the car so i'm using the year to find my feet and have some fun. Sure if it gets stuffed or goes pop i'll be miffed but hey thats what happens when you play silly buggers.
I'm off for a weekends training before anything. 2 day course with all the theory , practice etc etc. Been told it's the best way to get started so i'll take the advise. Looking forward to 07 , should be a laugh if nothing else.

Dan :wink:
75 2.1 914 owner
904GTS
Married to the DDK

Post by 904GTS »

Hi Dannyboy,

Have you considered the PCGB Speed Championship http://www.msdpcgb.co.uk/pages/speed04/speed04main.asp with a 2.1 you should be reasonably competitive in class P4 (up to 160 bhp). Wayne Eason runs his Gulf liveried 914 in P4, the last round is at Longleat this Saturday. Wayne lives near Nottingham I can put you in touch if you want.

Barrie
www.904GTS.com
www.technic-motorsport.com

Factory built Safari 2.7 RS
Too many projects not enough time !
TheMonkey
DDK Seasoned Poster

Hmmm!

Post by TheMonkey »

Just had a look at that link that Barrie put up.

Makes for interesting reading.

However, check out the list of cars suitable for Class P4. I knew the Rothmans Porsches were quick, but how the hell did they do so well with just 160bhp?????!!!!! :shock:

See below!

Michelin Porsche Speed Championship 2006
Eligible Models

Class P1 - over 250 bhp Minimum weight 1000kg <330bhp, 1100kg > 330bhp

Eamples
935 / Turbo
996 GT3
993 RS

Class P2 - 206 to 250 bhp Minimum weight 1000kg

Eamples
3.2 Carrera
968 Club Sport
944 Turbo

Class P3 - 161 to 205 bhp Minimum weight 1000kg

Eamples
924 Turbo
911 SC
911 Carrera 3.0

Class P4 - up to 160 bhp Minimum weight 980kg

Eamples
924 S
911 T

I reckon my 924 could 'ave 'im!!!!!

Mark

(Barrie, if it's okay, Dad will pick those wheels and spares up on the way to/from Spa - next weekend. Sorry!)
dannyboy
DDK addict

Post by dannyboy »

I'm looking into this as a possibility. Need to know alot more , i.e what , if any mods are required etc etc. I like the idea of being with cars of similar power and type. Went to Thoresby Park on Sunday , ran by the NSCC. Had a great day there. After lengthy chats with some very helpful, experineced racers it seems the 914 would end up in a class with some extremly quick and modified cars. With mods to suspension set up and motor size my 914 isn't stock production or even modified.As mentioned this is not about competition for me but it would be alot better to share a paddock with porsches 8) 904gts if you can put me in touch with Wayne that would really help.

Cheers Dan :wink:
75 2.1 914 owner
autohausdolby
Married to the DDK

Post by autohausdolby »

How do they measure the bhp? Does everyone have to go to the same rolling road or is it estimated?
dannyboy
DDK addict

Post by dannyboy »

Still waiting to hear from the Porsche GB Motorsport folks. I would say a dyno pull would be the only way. No probs as i due in to get the carbs set up nicely anyhow :wink:

Dan
75 2.1 914 owner
autohausdolby
Married to the DDK

Post by autohausdolby »

I'm interested to know because I'm told that different rolling roads read differently ;)

John Maher once said something along the lines of "I can get my dyno to read whatever I want but I always tell the customer the truth." (or words to that effect)
904GTS
Married to the DDK

Post by 904GTS »

Basically it's done on trust, no-one has been tested in the two years I've been involved, having said that if someone was obviously too fast they could be checked. which I guess is a deterrent. There's nothing at stake oher than the satisfaction of beating the competition, and where's the satisfaction of doing that with an illegal engine ?
www.904GTS.com

autohausdolby
Married to the DDK

Post by autohausdolby »

I dunno, that's just what some people are like :)
904GTS
Married to the DDK

Post by 904GTS »

Dannyboy I've sent you a PM with Wayne's contact details.

Barrie
www.904GTS.com

IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

I have been running in the PCGB Club Champ (circuit racing) this year and there is a designated dyno for power testing (Bob Watson near Oxford). I suspect Speed Champ uses the same.

We are all encouraged to get a power test at Bob's pre-season (which is good anyway to make sure the car is making the power it should). They usually pull one of the top finishing cars each meeting (in Club Champ anyway). The other way they can test you is to fit a data logger (the car has to be pre-wired to accept it) and they monitor your runs looking for stuff like acceleration curves beyond what you should achieve.

I have a couple of friends who compete in the Speed Champs and I am also thinking of having a go at it next year. The feedback I am getting is what fun it is and how friendly everyone is.

I have looked at the regs and it seems you can basically do what you like to the car as long as it falls within the power/weight band for a class. Some changes will move you up a class (eg running slicks) so you can choose whether to do that or not.

Ian.
dannyboy
DDK addict

Post by dannyboy »

Barrie thanks i have pm'd you. Ian , i'm up for this for many reasons. I'm still waiting to here back from PCGB , may drop them another mail. The 914 will hopefully be wearing some glass panels , be caged and run some very sticky road legal semi-slicks. After i have managed to have a chat with Wayne things will be clearer and i'll no what other mods the car will need. Can see this winter will be spent in the garage then!

Dan :wink:
75 2.1 914 owner
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

Dan.

The best way to get in contact with them is to ring Steve Kevlin directly and have a chat as sometimes emails can take a while to be answered.

The contact details are here http://www.msdpcgb.co.uk/pages/main/contact.htm

Ian.