Meagsquirt EFI on a 2.2T - Real time data view with iPad

An archive of any Porsche 911 technical threads

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

I thought you people without kids went out partying on a Friday night!!! :lol: :lol: Ahh the myth is shattered 8)

Got yourself a DDK grille badge ordered yet? 8)
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

How's the wiring ? Want me to give the diagram a once over ? Email it to me if you like.
Cheers
Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Hi Tim, wiring diagram is a blank sheet at the moment :) Bill is sending a pin out of the ecu on Monday, so hopefully I can lay it out then. I'll certainly send a copy for your expert eye to be cast :)

I made the bracket for the VR sensor last night, all good :) However one of the terminals on the EDIS6 coil pack I have is badly corroded and they have supplied the wrong connector for the EDIS6 ECU. Apart from that it's fine :(
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Hi All,

No pin out drawing as yet and still no reply from the scrappers on the dodgy EDI6 parts... however work is in progress on other matters....

The lump of plate that may one day look like a decent manifold adaptor:

I marked the ports on the Triumph side with a severely extended propelling pencil lead pass the butterflies, then followed up with a scribe. The other side I was less scientific and squirted some spray paint down the manifold :lol:

I've marked the overlapping areas between the ports so I can drill / jigsaw this out, then the fun porting begins to blend the two! Then I have to do it all again for the other side...

The plate showing what is supposed to do:

Some severe profilling is required to make this look more engineered solution than scrapyard challenge, but I will get there! 8)
Derek
DDK rules my life!

Post by Derek »

Gary, Any progress?
1970 911 3.6T
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Hi Derek, I'm still cutting my bits of plate!

Due to a couple of weekends away and slightly poorly kids the EFI project has briefly stalled, full steam ahead next week though!

The blending of circular Zenith port to oval triumph through this plate is entirely possible, one port is now finished. I drilled out most of the hole then started to attack the blending with a file. hmmmm :( This doesn't work :shock: Guess this ali plate was somewhat harder grade than I had planned!

5 minutes later I was on the net buying a tungsten carbide burr and borrowing a flexi drive die grinder from a friend :)

Tuesday night I cut out one port completely to finished state in 15 mins. Knife through butter? More like red hot knife through margarine!

A replacement EDIS6 coil pack turned up, but still no connector. Main Megasquirt ECU should be here on Monday.

The timing plan is both plates finished by Wednesday night, as I need to put the manifolds back on and fit Tim's carb for the following weekend. I need to get out in the car for a bit! There is only so long you can drive a Passat without going mad. :lol:
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Aren't all the EDIS connectors 12 pin? EDIS 4 and 6 are the same layout, if the pin definition is slightly different at the coil driver end. I seem to remember splitting a connector down, I think you can get the contact out and re-distrribute them . Or have you just got completely the wrong connector.
I got my old MS V2.2 up and running the MSnS-Extra code last night. The development since I last looked in depth is awesome ! Looks like the Imp is not going to be running carbs for long :) (Single GSRX tb and edis 4 )
Keep up the good work Gary, whilst not on Porsche, I'm trying to stay with you on the Megasquirt front.
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Hi Tim,

Yes it is a 12 pin, so this may give me more scope for a source, maybe two EDIS4 ones to collct enough pins? Although the scrappy said he would be getting one in tomorrow and he came good on the replacement coil pack so hopefully he will do the same on the connector. It will be easier for me to connect up if all the wire colours match :) I don't know the pin out of the EDIS6 so I guess I'd have to copy the units that you or Ian have?

The connector he provided before was just totally wrong and didn't go in the hole! :shock:

The MS extra has all the toys doesn't it? :)

I thought you were practicing welding on the Imp not EFI systems :lol:
shambly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by shambly »

Gary71 wrote:I don't know the pin out of the EDIS6 so I guess I'd have to copy the units that you or Ian have?
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

I don't know the pin out of the EDIS6
Or I could just look in the Megamanual a printed copy of which is on my desk :lol: :lol:

Cheers Shambly, this may save me some hassle 8)
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Latest update:

One of the manifold adaptor plates is now complete, just have to do it all again now :shock:

Not my most precise bit of porting ever, but within 0.5mm or so of a flush blend to the ports. Should be more than adequate to get me going, I'll start worrying about the last 2 bhp when I've found the first 130 :lol:
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

More porting!

Both plates now finished. Carbs going back on tomorrow so I can drive it!

I think with the aid of a bellcrank mounted on the plate and a few rose joints I can use the standard throttle linkage :). The end of the spindle has a flat to take the throttle position sensor, but I'll put the TPS on the back of the LH throttle body instead. The other end of the spindle on the RH set is a bit short to pick up on, but I can work something out. Maybe turn up a new longer spindle if I really need to.

MdR

Post by MdR »

Fantastic work Gary. Keep going, I am intrigued!
Martin Rogers
+44 (0)7812 167547
'69 Ossi blue warmrod 3.0 911T
[sold & sorely missed]'67S '70 Targa T '75 914/4 x 2
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Cheers Martin, I'm intrigued as well!

It's hard work putting all the detail in when you have no idea if it will actually work when the day comes :shock: But do it right once I guess otherwise I'm going to build in the next breakdown, and I've had enough of those :oops:
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

After several weeks of trying I abandoned hope of getting the correct EDIS6 connectors from the scrapyard, but luckily Chris at http://www.trigger-wheels.com has helped me out! top bloke 8)

Now I have all the bits, all I have to do now is wire it up.... :shock:

I've designed the harness, so I just have to convince a friendly electrical technician to put it together for me! I will just end up with lots of smoke if I do it.

However now I have the EDIS6 kit and my Megasquirt programmed with the digital equivilent of the distributor advance curve (thanks Andy :)) I'm going to make up a basic temporary loom just to get it running on spark only. First step is to make it run on EDIS6 only, without control from the MS ECU. Ignition advance will be stuck at 10degs (limp home) but it will prove the bits work and that my VR sensor / trigger wheel are all set up OK.

Then hook in the two wires to the MS and the vacuum hose to the MAP sensor and I'm off! Finger crossed. 8)