Anyone driving an EV?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Anyone driving an EV?

Post by gridgway »

Sam wrote:None of our 3 Zoes is jerky. 2014, 2015 and 2016. It’s possible your one is duff...
I don't think so. For example the demo drive from the sales person was effing uncomfortable!
Perhaps, I'm just getting old. I like torque to build, instant torque is not a nice thing.

Now where are my slippers?

Graham

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerk_(physics)
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

rhd racer wrote:Our eGolf is not jerky. It does require a smoother driving style on the full regeneration mode, as a mere lift of the throttle sticks the brakes on, which takes a little getting used to. I
I drove an electric smart which had re utilised the paddle shifters to alter the regeneration. From full medium to no engine braking.
As you all say, no reason why it should be anything other than smooth.
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I’m the same graham.. prefer torque build rather than instant

Our gravel drive is testament to this as every morning without fail my wife spins the rear wheels reversing and then again accelerating off the drive in her 330e .... I can’t complain really as when ever I drive it , unless I let it creep off the brakes , any slight touch of the throttle spins up the wheels on the gravel :roll:

More annoying is the transition between electric and petrol though ... sometimes seem less ... other times you get an annoying hesitation as the engine kicks in but the electric has been cut . Also can’t help but think the motor is getting some abuse when i full throttle it after 6 miles or so on leccy and the petrol engine kicks in and thrashes upto the the red line whilst stone cold
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

hot66 wrote: More annoying is the transition between electric and petrol though ... sometimes seem less ... other times you get an annoying hesitation as the engine kicks in but the electric has been cut .
Again, just calibration. I can name at least one V6 PHEV that is genuinely imperceptible in transition other than a needle moving on the dial and eventually engine note. Not that I’m biased at all, but it is actually true!
BMW just need to try harder :)
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

Such a shame they didn't stick closer to the concept car which looked brilliant. Had it launched with a three door / big wheel option as displayed even I would have started to ponder a PCP to get one on the drive.
Couldn’t agree more Barry, I’ve been watching this cars journey to production for some time and loved the original concept, body styling was lovely, I could see lots of influences coming through in the design, Peugeot 205 gti, original Honda Civic etc. The final design looks terrible in comparison, sooo watered down! Definitely a bean counters influence! Hopefully not a modern day allegro!
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Gary71 wrote:
hot66 wrote: More annoying is the transition between electric and petrol though ... sometimes seem less ... other times you get an annoying hesitation as the engine kicks in but the electric has been cut .
Again, just calibration. I can name at least one V6 PHEV that is genuinely imperceptible in transition other than a needle moving on the dial and eventually engine note. Not that I’m biased at all, but it is actually true!
BMW just need to try harder :)
Well her new 2020 330e comes in 6 weeks so let’s see if that’s better ( test drives are not really long enough to really get a feel ... although I know the god awful lane departure system is being switched off as soon as it arrives ! )
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

mycar

Post by mycar »

Sam

Post by Sam »

Timo wrote:
Such a shame they didn't stick closer to the concept car which looked brilliant. Had it launched with a three door / big wheel option as displayed even I would have started to ponder a PCP to get one on the drive.
Couldn’t agree more Barry, I’ve been watching this cars journey to production for some time and loved the original concept, body styling was lovely, I could see lots of influences coming through in the design, Peugeot 205 gti, original Honda Civic etc. The final design looks terrible in comparison, sooo watered down! Definitely a bean counters influence! Hopefully not a modern day allegro!
I reckon NVH is the culprit too. The glasshouse is the change that really ruins it. I’d imagine the original roof detail where it meets the screen made a lot of wind noise.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

I'll have one as soon as possible for daily duties. As we've discussed Barry, modern cars (in my case usually BMWs) are super boring anyway, might as well accept it and save a polar bear.

I need 5 proper seats and refuse to buy a Tesla until they design an interior better than the 90's Renault with iPad stuck to the dash they currently offer. Getting close to plausible now, I think - e-tron perhaps?

Also Honda - completely agree. Most disappointing journey from concept to car in ages.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Re: Instant torque. Should we be worried over how sharply EVs get off the line without making a sound? If you accelerate hard away from the lights in a combustion car you’re very conspicuous. Teslas and Taycans quietly testing their 2.9 second 0-60 times in town could end badly for pedestrians who don’t hear them coming and/or aren’t expecting them to gain velocity so quickly and misjudge crossing.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

As Matt farah (smoking tire) says, you can be a total hooligans in traffic in a Tesla as no one is offended by noise etc etc... but he also has major issues with Elon Musk !

Good podcast worth a listen

Listen to Ed Niedermeyer (Author of "Ludicrous: The Unvarnished Story of Tesla Motors") from The Smoking Tire on Apple Podcasts. https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/t ... 0459175332
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Latest range of Ford Mustang EV’s for pre order

https://www.ford.co.uk/cars/mustang-mach-e

Does it really cost £10k to go for a bigger battery from 76 to 99 kWh, are they that expensive ????

With some interesting EV’s launching this year

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... -2019-2020
Last edited by Nine One One on Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

2 years, 30,000km in a Golf E. As others have mentioned as a car to commute or traffic in it is a game changer, trail braking using regen, driving like a hooligan from the moment you pull out the drive. But it is an appliance, airport shuttle, station or shops it is treated as such.
I have found that it is making me look at other cars to do something different rather than everything. I am looking at a used Mulsanne to replace the Q7 instead of another suv

As a side note I would never electrify a sports car as I am finding that I am doing long journeys/Italian tune ups this is still the role of petrol car to enjoy. Motorways or high speed stuff the Golf is lacking.
Scene tax
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

sisu wrote:I am looking at a used Mulsanne to replace the Q7 instead of another suv.
This is a most fabulous decision. Image
Borrowed this one recently as a last chance before the end of production.

Sam

Post by Sam »

Imagine how many batteries you could fit in a Mulsanne. It’d be great to convert to an EV. It wouldn’t matter if you added 500kg since it already weighs a bazillion.