Die Garage der Schande

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: Die Garage der Schande

Post by RobFrost »

911hillclimber wrote:Went through this in the 70's!
No repeat buying of tools as you almost remember where you placed them before
You can always find something to make something from
Rob, good luck with the 6 pack and your quest.
I'm getting to the point where I know I own something but have to buy another because I can't lay my hands on it. Part of my illness, is pushing myself too hard. Sometimes when you finish at 10pm it's enough to simply throw it far enough into the garage for the door to close, before collapsing on the sofa.

Just had an interesting chat with head office over lunch... If I don't get rid of some stuff, she's going hire a skip and get rid of some herself. Still plucking up the courage for pictures.
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

I am afflicted also. My cardboard box collection is second to none, and when considering thinning recently I went into the house loft (they are in the garage loft, because you just can’t have too much storage if you are afflicted) and discovered 20 years of my wife and I’s hoarding through 4 houses and two children. The boxes might come in handy…..

I have done a number of jobs where I cut some random bracket or piece of something or other and re-purposed for something else with huge satisfaction. I have big storage boxes marked plumbing, electrical, hardware etc and many, many more for automotive stuff. I have it pretty bad. Despite having a large garage I am still very anal about the archiving. So much so, that I can remember all those little bits and pieces I saved and usually lay my hands on them pretty easily, though I call most people mate because I can’t remember names for the life of me. How does that work?

Anyhow, thanks for sharing and making me feel more normal. I did take a car load of carpet to the top from the loft because I know that even my repurposing skills cannot piece it together into something useful. It felt good.

Oh, and thanks for the Jack Olson video as something to aspire to. I didn’t know who he was, but now get what Brendan meant now when he likened my car lift to his!
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by gridgway »

Ah, what a lovely thread to share the same problem.

I am good at many things and I am bad at many things. One of the things I am bad at is "design imagination". I just can't envisage and figure out how to store all my stuff. So take spanners, I have loads in many different places. I thought I'd put them all together and sort them and find a way to store them in a toolbox or something. I got them together, but now I just have a big pile of spanners in a cardboard box waiting for some inspiration on how to store them!
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

gridgway wrote:Ah, what a lovely thread to share the same problem.

I am good at many things and I am bad at many things. One of the things I am bad at is "design imagination". I just can't envisage and figure out how to store all my stuff. So take spanners, I have loads in many different places. I thought I'd put them all together and sort them and find a way to store them in a toolbox or something. I got them together, but now I just have a big pile of spanners in a cardboard box waiting for some inspiration on how to store them!
Because I've been working outside I've adopted a "bag per type of work" approach. So e.g. I have a welding holdall, containing snips, grinder, goggles, hammer, clamps, etc. Then when I tackle a welding job I simply pick that bag and take it out to the car and it has 90% of what I need the most.

Spanners are tricky. They always seem to look most organised when in one of those metal trolleys with lots of flat drawers. That's what garages and mechanics use so it's probably a good solution, assuming you work inside the garage and have enough room to wheel it around. As you will see when the photos come... I haven't solved the spanner problem for my garage yet :(
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

ah yes, my conundrum gets worse in that I have a big Halfords cabinet full of tools that actually belongs to a friend who used to share my garage, but who has moved away, but left his stuff.

I like the bag idea. One bag for metric spanners and one for imperial (Caterham and Reynards).
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Listen! :wink:
A place for everything, and everything in it's place.
I use endless used margarine tubs and alum sheet food trays (M&S do the thickest ones)

When I work on the Lola, there is a flat part on the body by the cockpit.
Lay out a large towel, spanners you NEED (not all my spanners) and then the plyers types of things, then the screwdrivers and then the allen keys.
That sorts the tools I need to do most things for the day.

Halfords low 5 draw cabinet:
Top surface, trays of new nuts and bolts, 3/8" socket set, 1/4 socket set, Vernier calipers.
Top draw, fliles hacksays, plastic hammer blades and other wire brushes.
Next, all the taps and dies and such like.
Next: 12 tubs of screws and weird stuff like injectors, motorcycle spoke spanner and so much more.
next, tools of all descriptions little used
next boxes of things like compression tester, valve spring compressors and hot air gun
Bottom draw: absolutely anything else I might need.

Lots of shelves all around the walls, top to bottom for rattle cans etc. Bound to fall down one day.

One Machine Mart bench and the vice attached I had for my 21st birthday.

I can put my hand to anything anywhere.

Huge roll ofpre-cut stockinette, micro fibre cloths (tut tut), garage towels for spillage emergencies.
Lathe, MIG and engine hoist all along the one wall.

Two best mods I did to the garage in recent years, remove the two single garage doors, add a big RSJ to span the wide opening, install a roller shutter door, plastic tile the floor and keep it clean (ie free of debris and dead fasteners that cripple the knee caps.)

Get organised and stick to it. :)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

Lots more space for me soon, almost finished my third garage, no cardboard boxes full of incredibly useful parts in this one though, it's just for parking the 911 and the Harleys.
Attachments
IMG_0440.JPG
IMG_0439.JPG
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Nice Graham. How many garages/sheds do you have? If you include the bike collection?

Ps all ok I was hoping to catch up with you at the Swap met, after you arrived, but couldn't find you

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Neil, not sure if you mean me or the poster above is called Graham.
If me, then I have 2 sheds.
Small one for the Garden stuff
Bigger one, about 12' x 8' for all the car/bike stuff.

The Honda lives in the car garage, the little Peugeot BIMA moped in the big shed with the nice GIANT cross-over bike I try to ride, but rarely do.
Everything is boxed in there along side some Lola bodywork and the small grit blaster and a few other boxes of dead motorcycle parts which really have little value and should go to the tip one day.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

The other Graham with the museum quality bike collection :)

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Sorry, toooo many Grahams on here! :)
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I'll get my coat :lol:
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

I've just spent the morning moving ammo boxes of shagged Austin Seven bits into my field shelter..(The Austin 7 Dept) in attempt to get more space in the workshop....which i will fill with more stuff......calling it a disease implies that there's a cure.....it's not its a condition, it needs to be managed, one needs to live with it....I'll show you mine if you show me yours......W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

Graham no.2 here, can't compete with Mr.Loakes 16 hundred or so posts, phew. And I was at the swap meet - dark blue Macan but the weather ruled on the day, yes I know I'm a bit lightweight but I don't do mud, I don't do rain when I can help it and I'm not a fan of cold for that matter. I should never have left Escondido but I did miss meeting up with a lot of good friends. Now garages and the latest is a 7.2m by 2.5m which will be solely for parking the 911, the Harley chop, my Buell, monkey bike plus all my classic racing bikes or at least half a dozen of them. The main double will be for the 356 and my Cobra and all the tools and kit for tinkering.
This third garage is the last bit of construction I have been involved with, it started with clearing the rear end of the garden where I felled six trees then moved 26 M3 of earth to make way for a 4m by 3m summerhouse and a 3.5 by 3m recreation room. Unfortunately my cycling has had to take a step back whilst all this has been going on but I'm reliably informed by an estate agent friend (rare I know but he's not a bad bloke cos he has a 964) that I have put a nominal 100k value on my property so that can't be too much of a sacrifice, but I will be back banging the pedals round very soon.
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

PS There is NO WAY I would allow a washing machine in my garage!!