London Outlaw...

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Ralph
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: London Outlaw...

Post by Ralph »

It's a 912 then?
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

This isn't that geezer that did that well poncy video of him driving a 964 a couple of years ago? String back driving gloves and cravat or something? Or was that Bootsy?
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Nige wrote: String back driving gloves and cravat or something? Or was that Bootsy?
You're getting confused. I did do a video a couple of years back but I was wearing string back chaps and Cubist had a carvat as a leash
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Burma-Shave

Post by Burma-Shave »

Nige wrote:This isn't that geezer that did that well poncy video of him driving a 964 a couple of years ago? String back driving gloves and cravat or something? Or was that Bootsy?
No that was Frank Perriere. Black Betty on 964 Forum, not our Black Betty.
1990 964 C4, 1999 Boxster 2.5
'89 BMW E30 325i Touring. '83 Mercedes 280E. '84 Citroen 2CV. '16 BMW i3 REx. '03 BMW R1100S. '99 Yamaha R1. '79 BMW R100 scrambler.

Member#0336
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

That grey one looks good though compared to this abomination

Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

I really like many aspects of that. I've certainly seen much, much worse.

Some of the aesthetic choices, particularly those which must surely impair the driving experience, wouldn't be the way I'd go.
But
- born of experience - this fellow's 10th 911
- creativity, quite a bit of craftsmanship, hands-on work by owner, done properly
- dude had an R8, Aston and 964 - sold the Audi and Aston because he liked the 964. Good taste.

Good luck to him, I say. The write-up is rubbish, though.
I think I shall slam my 70 S when it's done, and wrap it metallic gold. Surrey Outlaw.
KS

Post by KS »

inaglasshouse wrote: - creativity....hands-on work by owner...
I don't think that's quite the case...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

inaglasshouse wrote:I think I shall slam my 70 S when it's done, and wrap it metallic gold. Surrey Outlaw.
I too could be a Surrey Outlaw - or even a Greater London Outlaw.....
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Creativity or style over substance?.....the car's not to my taste but then each to their own.......

....we all like stuff that looks good but in my mind what makes anything 'cool' is when the object or execution has a (sports) purpose.....

Jonny Hart

Post by Jonny Hart »

Ain't it funny how all these fads that are based on the notion of being 'individual' end up being, well, 'samey'? Hipsters all wear the same uniform, just like the punks, the goths etc.

In twenty years (if we're stiil here) we'll be rolling round poking fun at the 'used to be' hipster generation who still have the tattoos of croissants, semi colons and coffee cups.

Anyone round here got a 90’s Celtic symbol or Hindu saying scrawled on their arse? :)
Jonny Hart

Post by Jonny Hart »

P.s. Apart from the silly narrow beam, the wheels are all wrong. it needs something like a five spoke ATS classic.
murph2309

Post by murph2309 »

He's got nice sugar scoops though.
1971 2.2 S Targa viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37364
1978 3.0 SC Coupe
1970 VW Type 2 viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62339&p
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

I'm off to get some tats - grow a beard and sit on the window sill looking longingly/lovingly at my 911 ( whilst pouting of course !) - and then going to nip out and buy my girlfriend a knuckle duster ( before we sign up for the East Yorkshire Massssssivvvvvvvveee )

Oh the paradox of stereotypical individualism etc !
sladey

Post by sladey »

Darren65 wrote:Creativity or style over substance?.....the car's not to my taste but then each to their own.......

....we all like stuff that looks good but in my mind what makes anything 'cool' is when the object or execution has a (sports) purpose.....
Agree totally - stuff that is functional or used well develops it's own look that others see as cool - and then try and re-create it as just a look. But IMHBCO it's only cool because of what it represents.

E.g. Sports purpose represents racing which is cool. Rat look represents someone driving their ratty old car long beyond when most would have resprayed it which in turn represents a look that says your don't care what others think (which ironically develops into a look for people that only care what others think)

I think a 'nod' to the various stuff is cool, but without any reality to back it up means you just create an empty husk that doesn't have soul.

So the artfully created rat-look with fake rust etc - it's just trying too hard. Die Ratte on the other hand - preserving what nature already did - love that.

You car Darren, Andy Haas' car - both celebrate the quirky little stuff that came from racing, and while they aren't strictly racers they both walk the talk and are all the cooler for it.
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Jonny Hart

Post by Jonny Hart »

sladey wrote:
Darren65 wrote:Creativity or style over substance?.....the car's not to my taste but then each to their own.......

Agree totally - stuff that is functional or used well develops it's own look that others see as cool - and then try and re-create it as just a look. But IMHBCO it's only cool because of what it represents.

E.g. Sports purpose represents racing which is cool. Rat look represents someone driving their ratty old car long beyond when most would have resprayed it which in turn represents a look that says your don't care what others think (which ironically develops into a look for people that only care what others think)

I think a 'nod' to the various stuff is cool, but without any reality to back it up means you just create an empty husk that doesn't have soul.

So the artfully created rat-look with fake rust etc - it's just trying too hard. Die Ratte on the other hand - preserving what nature already did - love that.

You car Darren, Andy Haas' car - both celebrate the quirky little stuff that came from racing, and while they aren't strictly racers they both walk the talk and are all the cooler for it.

This got me thinking 'What is the coolest thing in the World?'. After much consideration I couldn't think of anything cooler than Al Green.

I'm gonna be looking for a pair of these seats for the 911.