Got some funny looks at Corley services at the weekend

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

moggy
DDK rules my life!

Re: Got some funny looks at Corley services at the weekend

Post by moggy »

Timo - The Current Racing guys set another world record for an electric drag car 0-150mph in 8.5 seconds. Now that's nuts :shock: :cheers:

Keith - It is automatic. I just leave it in 3rd gear, press the accelerator and away you go, break to stop, no need to press the clutch pedal or change gear. 8)
orkneydave
DDK slapper chatter

Post by orkneydave »

moggy wrote:It is automatic. I just leave it in 3rd gear, press the accelerator and away you go, break to stop, no need to press the clutch pedal or change gear. 8)
Could you do away with the gearbox altogether? Also, is reverse selected on the gerbox or electronically?
Dave Neil

1972 Land Rover Series 3 (Instagram @alfredthe109)
1972 MGB GT (mostly in bits!)
Wanted: Half decent early 914
Magnum
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Magnum »

Thanks Moggy

I shall read and learn. :wink:
BTW I did think of the PV panel way to "fuel" your car - has to be the best way and simply brilliant.

Thinking ahead - the way Paris has gone, and doubt many other cities in the coming years, surely us classic car lovers are unquestionably going to be getting more familiar with this?

Medium-long term are only the most "deserving" and/or limited numbers of our fossil fueled classic cars going to be exempted from future draconian laws limiting or even banning usage? What happens to values then? How long will this be in for instance the more highly regulated first world countries?

Regards
Magnus

1972 3.2 RS lightweight. Still a bit scary...
1987 3.2 Carrera. Sold..
1972 Alfa 1750 GTV. Sold...
1971 911E in Silver. So lovely, sold..
1971 911S. sold....
1972 BMW CSL. Stupidly sold...
1968 Land Rover SIIa SWB..rusted in half...
CQuest8
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by CQuest8 »

Moggy, that Beetle looks awesome!

What is required to get the 1303 upto the 200 mile range? Is it just more batteries?

Chris
(Tesla Model S owner)
1966 VW Splitscreen Camper RHD walk-thru (never selling!)

1984 3.2 RSR Replica (sold)
1975 911S 2.7 - fitted with a 3.0 SC engine (sold)
2003 996 Turbo (sold)
2007 997 Turbo (sold)
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

Thinks. Both Teslas and Beetles have separate flat floor chassis. Beetle on a Tesla chassis anyone?
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

Nick
Have a look at the Little and Large thread. That may give you and an answer...

Magnus
I think we'd end up with a limited number of days/miles a year limiting useage
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
moggy
DDK rules my life!

Post by moggy »

Nick - already looked into this. See below the similarities. Unfortunately the Tesla is MUCH wider than a bug, also availability of said Tesla chassis makes this an impossible task.

Dave - Yes, you can do without the gearbox but it's easier to retrofit into classics when you retain the gearbox. I've run the numbers and the weight saving of getting rid of the gearbox vs extended range isn't worth the hassle. I have the option in the motor controller to have a reverse motor direction switch so you can reverse in 4th if you like. However, I've not bothered as you can change gear into reverse without needing to use the clutch (as the motor is not turning when you are static).

Chris - 200 mile range is possible with more energy dense battery solutions. I'm using Tesla batteries in the 1303 to achieve the 200 mile range.
sladey

Post by sladey »

Absolutely brilliant
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Tony
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Tony »

Moggy,
leaving it in 3rd obviously makes it very simple to use but could you use the gearbox? Would that further optimize range/performance?

Tony
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

moggy wrote:The red beetle will be available for sale end of August
So I have to ask...how much will it be?
Graham
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Nicely done. It looks a very elegant installation.

I understand the desire for range but using Tesla batteries without the structural protection offered by the floor is highly questionable due to the risk of damage and thermal runaway. I'm sure you are aware of the different lithium battery tech.

Sorry to be a bit negative about the next step you are planning, but it's a huge one.

I wish you every success with your venture but please stick to your current batteries :)
orkneydave
DDK slapper chatter

Post by orkneydave »

moggy wrote:Dave - Yes, you can do without the gearbox but it's easier to retrofit into classics when you retain the gearbox. I've run the numbers and the weight saving of getting rid of the gearbox vs extended range isn't worth the hassle. I have the option in the motor controller to have a reverse motor direction switch so you can reverse in 4th if you like. However, I've not bothered as you can change gear into reverse without needing to use the clutch (as the motor is not turning when you are static).
Thanks for you answer Moggy, makes sense to keep it simple when retro-fitting. I guess I like the switch on the Morgan EV3! I remember reading about an MGF that had been converted a few years ago albeit with a 40 mile range I think. They too had left the gearbox in but removed the gearstick (after putting it in 3rd) and switched to reverse via the motor.

Would love to do this with my MGB but suspect cost may be an issue. I also think I would need closer to a 200 mile range to be practical as a daily driver and also have concerns over winter useability.

Very impressed though and look forward to seeing updates on the 1303!
Dave Neil

1972 Land Rover Series 3 (Instagram @alfredthe109)
1972 MGB GT (mostly in bits!)
Wanted: Half decent early 914
moggy
DDK rules my life!

Post by moggy »

Tony wrote:Moggy,
leaving it in 3rd obviously makes it very simple to use but could you use the gearbox? Would that further optimize range/performance?

Tony
You're absolutely correct Tony. Yes, you can indeed use the gearbox as it was intended, which then optimizes range and performance. There's a battery monitor I've put on the dash, which blends in as best as possible with the vintage look to the dash, that tells the driver how efficiently they're driving, how much is left in the battery, how long you've got left to drive and how many Amps the motor is taking. That last one is used to decide whether or not it's more efficient to drive in 3rd or 4th e.g. at 60mph the motor might be pulling 120amps in 3rd, change up to 4th and you might see the amps drop to 85, therefore at that speed it's more efficient to drive in 4th.

One word of warning though, around town skip 1st and just use 2nd, the instant torque of the motor means that 1st is just for burnouts and doughnuts :lol:
revo
DDK slapper chatter

Post by revo »

That's great looks fantastic, and very good work well done would love to see it.
Bertroex
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Bertroex »

Wow. Seriously impressed by this development! Suddenly, there is a future for classics in a way never imagined before!

1 question though: what safety implications are there in case of a crash? Are these batteries sealed and securely fastened?

Cheers,

Bert
-1968 912 SWB Targa LHD
-1976 911 Carrera 3.o Targa RHD
-1983 944 190bhp (augment automotive enhanced) RHD
-1979 280SLC manual LHD, 1989 500SL, 1997 SL500, 1989 Jag XJ-s 3.6, old BMW’s
-Ex 1976 911 2.7 Targa, 1979 911 SC, 1983 930,1993 964 C4 Jubi etc