72 Hotrod - my new project

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Re: 2.7 Hotrod - my new project

Post by squirdan »

Neil - because I already have a 2.7 engine in bits and because I'd like as many parts interchangeable with my rsr. Also because I prefer more torque for a road car. Saying that, I haven't ruled out making this 993 powered yet.
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
but sadly no Porsches any more
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Re: 2.7 Hotrod - my new project

Post by squirdan »

have had some post blasting photos through. which is always a sobering moment. but on balance no worse than I expected.

floors and sills are shot with some interesting previous repair work...but I already knew they were fit for the bin!

on the other hand, rear seat area and parcel shelf are amazingly good

overall the usual curates egg. more to follow next week
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Re: 3.6 Hotrod - my new project

Post by squirdan »

I have now finalised my spec. had to ask myself some questions because of the intended use (day to day in London and south east all year round) and the budget.

As anyone who has been through it will know, a full 2.7 rebuild with a smattering of new parts, timecerts and some Nikasil thrown in, is not cheap. I have ruled this out, simply cant make the budget work :(

Its not all bad though as I have ruled in a 3.6 DME engine sourced from a 964 tip (handy side effect is its impossible to over-rev an auto) with loom and ecu.

this is cost effective / easy to get to 280bhp / torquey and will mate up to a 915 with oil cooler, and requires no mods to the shell. not exactly period but v much in keeping with the hotrod. A home grown Singer if you like

the other handy thing is the one I've bought has aircon compressor fitted giving me the option should i wish, for a discreet SVP engineered a/c system to be fitted

like this:

work on the shell is continuing, will post some more photos as and when
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
Highfield
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Highfield »

Hot Rod indeed - hide away all the modern bits and nobody will know :-) Next you will be showing us the proposed Hi-Fi with rear seats used as a speaker and sub housing connected to a bluetooth hands free iPod Sat Nav system.....and intermittent rain sensing wipers from a 997 :-)
Ian Highfield
Pre 73 1964 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT MSA Category 1 Rally Car
1992 964 C2 with RS Suspension setup and Sport Interior - SOLD
1973 911T (2.7 Carrera engine and loads of period mods - all steel) - SOLD
1986 Carrera Coupe (256bhp) - SOLD
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Have you see Nick Moss's racer build on IM? I think he had bought an 80 sc and remodel to RSR look alike. It's also appears he had had a 3.2 engine rebuilt to give 320+. I'm not sure if that is an option for you and how the costs weights against each other. Perhaps you already have the 3.6 engine? I'm sure Nick will be along to correct me and point out I've got everything wrong about his car!
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

Highfield wrote:Hot Rod indeed - hide away all the modern bits and nobody will know :-) Next you will be showing us the proposed Hi-Fi with rear seats used as a speaker and sub housing connected to a bluetooth hands free iPod Sat Nav system.....and intermittent rain sensing wipers from a 997 :-)
HI Ian, funny you should mention it....

it has ocurred to me that I have the TomTom satnav app on my iphone. plus music. and the internet radio app is q reliable as long as youve got a half decent 3G connection. So, I am wondering about integrating an ipod dock side-on into the dash, which would connect to 12v supply, front speakers and maybe a hidden signal booster. would still be lighter than a traditional radio

and. I am investigating whether a hidden HiWave (nxt as was) "exciter" could be used to turn the entire door panel into a speaker, rather than using pistonic type traditional speakers which are heavy and unsightly.

re sleep Q car... the rear badging will be:

Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

neilbardsley wrote:Have you see Nick Moss's racer build on IM? I think he had bought an 80 sc and remodel to RSR look alike. It's also appears he had had a 3.2 engine rebuilt to give 320+. I'm not sure if that is an option for you and how the costs weights against each other. Perhaps you already have the 3.6 engine? I'm sure Nick will be along to correct me and point out I've got everything wrong about his car!
Close, but let's put a few facts in there. It's a 1986 3.2, with the motor taken out to 3.5, with throttle bodies, Omex ECU/EFI, RSR cams, twin spark, etc. etc. giving 320 bhp. The cost will have been several times the cost of a 3.6, and around the same as a full 2.7RS engine build.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Thank you. May I ask ball park costs for the two options?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Nige

Post by Nige »

If you are lucky you can DIY install a 3.6 for under £5k ish, inc engine and parts.
shoestring7
DDK rules my life!

Post by shoestring7 »

Nige wrote:If you are lucky you can DIY install a 3.6 for under £5k ish, inc engine and parts.
One reservation I have about this sort of approach is around the state of the 964 engine. They will all be 20 years old or more, and the things weren't exactly known for their oil-tight dependability in period (DMF, distributor drives etc...). Really there's no reason why a 3.6l will be any less knackered than any other 911 motor. I can remember following a friend's 964 through the streets of Le Mans. It had about 130,000 well maintained miles on it, and after 20 minutes in traffic the smokey, oily fumes started to make me feel very ill. He subsequently spent >£15k on a rebuild, albeit to 3.8l spec, RS flywheel etc.

I'd suggest you should expect to add ~£3.5k for a top end re-build to that £5k ^.

Charles
968C/968CS/'92 964C4/944t/924S Trackday shed/Cayman/964C2#2/'73 hotrod (gone)
Mini JCW buzzbox
Audi A2 Piech edition
BMW R1250GSA

http://thecarlistblog.blogspot.co.uk/
shoestring7
DDK rules my life!

Post by shoestring7 »

Some engine weights (from Impactbumpers.com):

SC = 200kg
3.2 = 219kg
964 = 276kg (this would be with the power steering pump and the full dual mass flywheel)
964RS = 226kg (this would have a lighter flywheel)
993 = 232kg (this would be with the power steering pump and the full dual mass flywheel)
993RS Vram = 221kg (this is with the lighter flywheel)

I been told a mag cased 2.4 is around 30kgs lighter than a 3.2, making it about 190kgs. Quite a difference between this and a 3.6.

Charles
968C/968CS/'92 964C4/944t/924S Trackday shed/Cayman/964C2#2/'73 hotrod (gone)
Mini JCW buzzbox
Audi A2 Piech edition
BMW R1250GSA

http://thecarlistblog.blogspot.co.uk/
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

squirdan wrote: HI Ian, funny you should mention it....

it has ocurred to me that I have the TomTom satnav app on my iphone. plus music. and the internet radio app is q reliable as long as youve got a half decent 3G connection. So, I am wondering about integrating an ipod dock side-on into the dash, which would connect to 12v supply, front speakers and maybe a hidden signal booster. would still be lighter than a traditional radio

and. I am investigating whether a hidden HiWave (nxt as was) "exciter" could be used to turn the entire door panel into a speaker, rather than using pistonic type traditional speakers which are heavy and unsightly.
I followed a similar route on my car by integrating an iPhone dock into the ashtray:

It feeds into the back of the original Blaupunkt radio for tunes and works as sat nav (via Navigon app) at the same time, muting the music nicely for directions.

The speakers (6" Alpines) are super subtle in the doors behind punched vinyl.

Image[/url]
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

neilbardsley wrote:Thank you. May I ask ball park costs for the two options?
ballpark

engine purchase 4-5k preferably with loom and ecu
rebuild costs 2-3k depending on whats needed
incidentals 1-2k patrick motorsport or similar subj to what parts needed

its not the right comparison though. Nick is building a trackday car. I am building a roadcar and am prioritising torque, low down power, and ease of use, start on the button every time etc.

in my case its come out of an 80k miles car with FSH.

also it wont take a year to be built, ahem.

heavier yes. but i'll be amazed if the car is much over 1000kg with fg bumpers, lwt interior etc and hence power to weight should be highly respectable.
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

Gary71 wrote:
squirdan wrote: HI Ian, funny you should mention it....

I followed a similar route on my car by integrating an iPhone dock into the ashtray:

It feeds into the back of the original Blaupunkt radio for tunes and works as sat nav (via Navigon app) at the same time, muting the music nicely for directions.

The speakers (6" Alpines) are super subtle in the doors behind punched vinyl.

Image[/url]
like that a lot Gary..thx for the pictures
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Post by dragonfly »

Gary71 wrote:
squirdan wrote: it has ocurred to me that I have the TomTom satnav app on my iphone.

A friend just pointed out to me that the latest iOS6 upgrade includes the new Apple Maps (in place of Google), which has TomTom routing built in. Even works on my old 3GS

Great project, Dan
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea