72 911E Track Car

A place to discuss Porsche cars (and others) for sale in the general market
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

squirdan wrote:i had Tuthills take a look at it on my behalf. they came back with a long list of remedial work. My max bid was £10,500.

To be made perfect I think it would be q expensive (needs new sills, sections of floor, various other areas of corrosion like doors+ B pillars+rear qtrs, lacks a complete interior etc and hard to believe many people want a yellow and blue car so thats £7k worth of colour change)

But the car is definitely a runner and has a T engine with S cams c. 180bhp been recently serviced, new fuel lines etc. , hence perhaps not bad value given plenty of "restored" cars advertised at £30k +

good luck to the winner...not many RHD 72's with oil filler flap around
But you'd spend easy over the budget getting that to a 30K car (if you ever could). Best spending 10 on it max and having a nice track mongrel.

Ian.
hamishf
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by hamishf »

I bid up to 13k and was second highest bidder. Like the Ian's suggested, it was a tatty old race car and perfectly good for HSCC...so rather gutted I didnt go a little higher. Oh well.
Hamish Franklin
r-gruppe 613
73E hotrod (2.7MFI); 74 Carrera; 69 280 SL; 924 Carrera GT
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

I bid £12800, without seeing the car. The seller wasn't very forthcoming with good pictures and the guy storing the car went away over the last week end. I'm sure it could have fetched more if it had been properly marketed.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
hamishf
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by hamishf »

FYI - I have picked it up - the guy who won it decided he didnt want it (got a better drive in GTs) - so once I've had a look will keep you posted on its progress.
Hamish Franklin
r-gruppe 613
mrsimpson
DDK Fanatic

Post by mrsimpson »

Any progress on this one Hamish?
MT
DDK rules my life!

It's mine!

Post by MT »

I am now the proud (?) owner of what is not so affectionately referred to by my other half as the 'IKEA car'. I bought it from Hamish (via Alan at Canford Classics) and am just about so start its restoration as a road car in its original colour (I have yet to establish which code 2323 refers to - Tangerine or Blood Orange, or indeed if they are different!).
I plan to replace most of the outer panels after a full body strip and repair - the majority of which I plan to do myself. In the process I expect it to lose its sunroof, and me to lose at least one shirt, but both will depend on how much rust I find!

Anyway watch for the resto thread under IKEA car if you have any interest. I am aware the car has quite a bit of history and I'd like to know more of it. If anyone has anything relating to its past or can point me in the right direction please do.

If anyone has interest in any of the 'racing legacies' - tank, oil coolers, hoses, fire system and lap timer, cage etc please let me know. It might be a month or two before I get them off the car, but you can get your name on them at least.

Mick
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

2323 is blut orange or tangerine = the same. its a great colour

http://www.356-911.com/modelinfo/911col ... rs7173.htm
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
but sadly no Porsches any more
MT
DDK rules my life!

Post by MT »

I'd also appreciate any informed views on how best to assess the engine. One of my many dilemmas with the car will be the extent to strip/check the engine. Clearly it would be abit of a downer to refurb the car only to find the engine needed a full going over, but equally a lot of time and money to strip it right down just to find everything was in order.

It will start/run once I've unstuck the throttle which appears to be jammed open, so I can check oil pressure etc. Driving it will be tricky given the lowered suspension - not sure it would even go down the drive!

It has oil fed tensioners. One of the messages in the thread implied it has S cams.

Any advice/views welcome.

Mick

Mick
hamishf
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by hamishf »

Hi Mick - go you for kicking it off. When I had it I got Bob Watson to run it over the dyno - have got the sheet - and he seemed to think all was mechanically fine. He even gave me a leak down test, which was good as I recall. The dyno line was bumpy - i.e. it needed a tune, but he suggested the MFI looked like someone had re-done it recently. His view was that it still had plenty of life. HP was about 150 or so as I recall. Nothing a tune/timing wouldnt fix I would guess.

And Mr Simpson - sorry I missed your post. Have been busy with other (hopefully) cars less in need of work that this one (my skills extend to cleaning, replacing pads that sort of thing). Have a 'barn-find' 69 280SL which needs a lot of cleaning, but otherwise looks quite nice, so will post some photos of that in another thread sometime soon (the barn is a Holland Park mews house where it has sat for the last 5 yrs with a sheet over it, so a rather nice barn I suppose)
Hamish Franklin
r-gruppe 613
MT
DDK rules my life!

Post by MT »

Hello Hamish - a copy of the dyno would be much appreciated. Do you still have my e-mail address/or house address? If so please send a copy to either please. If not let me know.

Mick