1987 3.2 Carrera Backdate project - Sladeys hotrod

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

I've posted this on the 911 forum as well, but can anyone tell me where to get a rear numberplate light?

I need to fit some sort of light - the garage are insisting on putting one in just in case there is any comeback on them, so we're fitting something as a stopgap in the meantime.

I want to fit something to the rear underside of the engine cover so that it can't be seen from the outside.

What & where was the original fitment? - if anyone has got any pics that would be really useful

Many thanks

Mark
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

KS has a couple of nifty little one's on his backside.

You can just make out the left hand side one on this pic

1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
912uk

Post by 912uk »

Have they tried moving slightly the bonnet Pin. This will only help alittle but then you would need to push alittle on the opposite edge of the bonnet ( eg wheel side ) to move it over slightly. I had this on my 12 after I painted it. I did spend a fair amount of time getting it sorted it's about 95% where I want it now.

Yours looks just like mine did when I did it. the gap you have on the left there is equal all the way down so it should be able to shove it over a tat.. all helps.. But it is looking great..

:lol:
sladey

Post by sladey »

KS has a couple of nifty little one's on his backside.
Thanks for that - I didn't want to put anything on the bumper itself though - I wanted to put something on the underside of the engine lid so it won't be seen. What was on the originals?
Have they tried moving slightly the bonnet Pin
Thanks for that 912uk - I'll perhaps have a fiddle with it when I get it home

As the actress said to the bishop....
MdR

Post by MdR »

sladey wrote:I wanted to put something on the underside of the engine lid so it won't be seen. What was on the originals?
The standard early 911 placement is on the underside of the engine lid.
Martin Rogers
+44 (0)7812 167547
'69 Ossi blue warmrod 3.0 911T
[sold & sorely missed]'67S '70 Targa T '75 914/4 x 2
sladey

Post by sladey »

D'oh! - if I'd just bothered to look on the Roger BRay site they are there. Eejit! :oops:

Ordered them now
912uk

Post by 912uk »

do you need a pic of the underside of the early engine lid to show the sort of cut out you will need ( I am guess in later lids don't have the cut outs.
) carefull of that new paint as well...ekk! :? as I can take a pic of my silver 65 in a bit if you like.

Mark
sladey

Post by sladey »

Yes please - that would be absolutely brilliant - I popped down to the garage today and thankfully they hadn't started putting the light in yet.

I've ordered two proper ones now and they'll fit them when they arrive so a picture would be brilliant thanks

Cheers

Mark
912uk

Post by 912uk »

OK give me ten mins

8 to find my camera and 2 to post it :wink:
912uk

Post by 912uk »

OK here we go..nice big images for you to zoom in on.

These are from my 65 912 Project as far as I am aware there is no difference in models.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/9 ... C01973.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/9 ... C01974.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/9 ... C01966.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/9 ... C01967.jpg

there hope it helps ....

Oh when I said in my post " took months to do I ment years " here is mine after 6 years of owner ship ops I need to crack on..

:wink:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/9 ... C01952.jpg
Nige

Post by Nige »

you're just lazy Mark(912uk), I see this being DDKs Charity Auction for 2007! :lol:
912uk

Post by 912uk »

ha ha ... Well as far as I am aware as soon as I have done the floor area's I am talking to Terry for the final gaping and then back to me for the paint. I asume Terry from Gav's words can take along time so as long as I get it back for Mid June /Early July it will be painted this year and I can start the refit.. to have it on the road for 2007...

I am not lazy, you bugger I have in the mean time done a 69 912 from start to finish Built a 20x 10ft workshop, done a 912E up and half way though a 65 912 as well and all this work to the 54 ..... what you done?? in 6 years.. :wink:

:lol: :lol:
Nige

Post by Nige »

Well, where do I start? OK, I've climbed Everest twice, second time without oxygen support. Developed a cure for the common cold (still in testing stages), last year I even built a time machine (I actually travelled forward 12 years and paid a visit to your good self and you were still working on the pre A). Oh yes I nearly forgot I swam the English channel a few times.

All that within the last 12 months, I haven't got time to explain what I've been upto for the last 6 years.

Beat that chump!
sladey

Post by sladey »

Mark, thanks a million for those images - I've printed a montage to take down the garage with me tomorrow

Cheers

Mark
sladey

Post by sladey »

Just about there!!!!

I collected the car from the garage about 3 weeks ago. I was very pleased with the work but had to do some negotiations on the bill. Steve at the Garage was very good to deal with on the whole thing and we reached an amicable compromise. The worry at this time took some of the shine off the car for me though - hence no posting.

Then the tappets started to sound very loud. Neither me nor my wallet felt I I could put this back into the garage so I had a go myself. This was a learning experience and they ended up just as loud. I then re-did them the following week and now they seem to be OK. There is still some noise on the go but this seems to be diff-related (or drive-shft - dunno - it relates to vehicle motion not engine speed) but that was there before it went in.

Yesterday I dropped the fron by half an inch - surprisingly easy job which only took about 20 minutes. Would have taken 10 minutes if I hadn't raised it first ( by turning the screws the wrong way :lol: ).

I got some Swissol for Christmas so also spent yesterday waxing it. My intention was to finish off the wheels this morning and then take it out to a nice location for some smart photos. Woke up this morning ande it was pissing down with rain. On the basis that it won't be this clean & shiny again for a while, decided to take some pictures in the garage, and when I get another dry day post-waxing I'll do another set.

Anyway - here they are:_

I'm really pleased with the swissol stuff.

Jobs still to do:-
1. Fit Chrome door handles - I've refurb'd a set but will do this when I get time - Going to swap lock barrels over but my original ones are a bit dented on the alu trim on the locking bit itself - are new barrels from porsche reasonable?
2. Fit Chrome rear grill - still need to suss out how to fit this as grill only has holes - not bolts
3. Fit decals - looking for 'reverse' porsch across engine lid - a la RS, and looking for Porsche script down the side between the two lines - a la 'R' - going to contact Bootsy on these.