Changing Cars

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: Changing Cars

Post by RobFrost »

jeremyg wrote:
911hillclimber wrote:Nice video, pity about the UK bit!
Having just watched tonight's SKY news the start of the video was great, the ending only added to the real world depressing state of this Nation...
Glad you ‘enjoyed’ it Graham. Didn’t set out to be depressing, it’s just the way life unfolds, sort of like a road trip!
I still think it's still the greatest place on earth, despite a bit of economic and moral decline, which will probably continue for a few years to come.

The people who voted for it said they didn't care if it made them poorer. At least now they're poorer they're grumbling about what they've lost instead of sanctimoniously telling me they won, get over it.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Yes, France is a very nice place and we have always commented about the way of life out there in all it's different regions. I was asked to go to work in the Alsace and to live there in 1987 as we had a very big factory in St Die right in the wine areas.
Wife was fluent in French, daughter just 3. Refused at the last moment and did huge travel to St Die, Paris, UK and Detroit.
Talk about stressful.
Doctor told me to jack it all in and change my job which I did in 2000, and got the 911 on the road too!
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by jeremyg »

I didn’t know all that Graham. Life’s choices. Who knows what would have happened?

We had an old barn in South West France until the late nineties. Sadly we sold it when our teenage children stopped wanting to go there. Now they chastise us for selling it - they have wonderful memories of it and they’d love to take their own children down there right now!
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

RobFrost wrote:
jeremyg wrote:
911hillclimber wrote:Nice video, pity about the UK bit!
Having just watched tonight's SKY news the start of the video was great, the ending only added to the real world depressing state of this Nation...
Glad you ‘enjoyed’ it Graham. Didn’t set out to be depressing, it’s just the way life unfolds, sort of like a road trip!
I still think it's still the greatest place on earth, despite a bit of economic and moral decline, which will probably continue for a few years to come.

The people who voted for it said they didn't care if it made them poorer. At least now they're poorer they're grumbling about what they've lost instead of sanctimoniously telling me they won, get over it.

I admire your faith in the future Rob.

We’re in for a very difficult time, and obviously those in greatest need are likely to suffer the most. Not many on DDK I fancy, but obviously you never know quite when difficult times may hit you, for whatever reason. Which I suppose why I started my initial post. Funny that it should end with a road trip movie with such a bleak ending.
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

The market has an uncanny way of sorting things out. Sure, there will be some economic decline and we'll all be poorer - monetarily and culturaly, but markets will adapt, the sun will still shine, the land will still be green and pleasant.

1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

I am planning on getting an early Twingo with a sunroof as a summer car for the kids to learn to drive in. The budget is €350-500 and broadly we are looking at Germany/Holand. I have set a travel budget from Helsinki and the initial plan is €16 flight to Berlin, €8 August train ticket. A ferry from Tallin in Estonia is only €6 but its 800km extra. So i am lashing out on an overnight cabin from Stockholm to Turku in the East of Finland for €20 and the car is €40.
I have used the bottle return money as a budget, we get 10c for a can of beer, 20c for a bottle of wine, 40c for a 1.5l coke from the reverse vending machines. So this hot summer has not been in vain. The kids paid for their bikes this way and although the average time to Stockholm is 12-14hours i don't think we will do it in one hit. We will stay at a hotel halfway, i haven't got down to a packed lunch and a thermos of tea. But a hotel with a breakfast is doable. The car uses 6l/100km and the kids are scouring Mobile.de for potential cars.
Meanwhile I am drinking beer... for the kids obviously as a way to strech our travel budget to broaden our reach around Europe. Should be a fun few days for us all
Scene tax
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

Sounds fun Sisu,my son and I have just train/cycled to Narbonne to buy a 1968 Peugeot 404 pickup, his next project. 4.5 days to drive home camping and fixing as we went. What a great adventure it was, and will continue to be.
We then 3 days later went back en-famille to our house in SW France, bought as a truly derelict wreck buy my mum in 1971, thank goodness she kept it......We all love it there and I hope Pat will use it too. W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Winston Teague wrote:Sounds fun Sisu,my son and I have just train/cycled to Narbonne to buy a 1968 Peugeot 404 pickup, his next project. 4.5 days to drive home camping and fixing as we went. What a great adventure it was, and will continue to be.
We then 3 days later went back en-famille to our house in SW France, bought as a truly derelict wreck buy my mum in 1971, thank goodness she kept it......We all love it there and I hope Pat will use it too. W
The Peugeot project sounds great Winston. And back in the 80’s we bought a derelict barn in SW France - in Aveyron, Tarn and Garonne, nearby St Antonin noble Val.. Your place around that area at all?
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Winston Teague wrote:Sounds fun Sisu,my son and I have just train/cycled to Narbonne to buy a 1968 Peugeot 404 pickup, his next project. 4.5 days to drive home camping and fixing as we went. What a great adventure it was, and will continue to be.
Now that sounds like a proper road trip 8) . Any more of the story to tell us all
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

hot66 wrote:
Now that sounds like a proper road trip 8) . Any more of the story to tell us all
Agreed my type of road trip.

While we are talking about bike Evie Richards from , nearish to you, Malvern has a good chance of doing well in the Commonwealth MTB race. Being the WC.

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP