356 big European Trip

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: 356 big European Trip

Post by neilbardsley »

I'm not completely sure that Mrs B meant the car?Image

Sent from my 22011119UY using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

The first day in Vienna didnt fill me with optimism. As the drove into the city more than 1 sign have 'f*** cars' spray painted onto it. Then we stopped at The Museum of Applied Arts. One of the back exhibitions was on how to be an Eco Warrior (I support the cause but wish the great unwashed didnt party on Waterloo Bridge once a year and leave a horrid mesh). Then we got to the hotel (booked by me) and it was crap. The only interest feature was a seat in the lift!

We went to a concert in the very beautiful St Peter's Church. Good playing but not better than Prague but 25% more expensive. As we walked to the St Peter's we passed all the usual high end shops. When I checked we have paid about 25% more for our food tour for the next day. I was starting to build a picture of this city as being unfriendly and over priced.

However, all that changed when we started the food tour and our guide immediately took us our of the centre to places were would of never found or visited. The first place was,Café Prückel. Which we had walked past the day before (https://maps.app.goo.gl/xKBc8Md7sqBGz3za)

A traditional cafe there people come to talk and read newspapers. The couple we got talking at a Jazz concert (that night) had meet there. We learnt that proper places in Vienna will always serve coffee on a metal plater with a cup of water (https://www.cafe-wien.at/en/coffee-hous ... he%20taste)!

We learnt that full access to the public transport for a year is 365 eur! The entire system is on an honour basis. There are no barriers or machines at any stations. You buy a ticket, Validate it to set the start time then use any tram/bus/train.

The food tour containing too many stops and we had too much.

Another place we would walked pass is Tichy (https://g.co/kgs/tBG4oYT). Perhaps the most interesting ice cream I have tasted. Almost not sweet. It has to be tried to be understand.

The tour ended at this food stall (https://maps.app.goo.gl/yNdK6HCJ7wXsqriSA). Run by Thomas. A 2nd generation owner.

We attended a Jazz Concert in the evening at Porgy and Bess. Allen Harris' band which was super and much better enjoyed by Mrs B. We had seen piano player in 2023 with Gregory Porter. However, this time we paid 1/4 of the price for the tickets and I was sitting 3m from him not 100m.

We spent the next day trying to visit some museums. We are reminded that most places are free in London here you can spend quite a lot. The scale and grandeur of the buildings in District 1 is quite overwhelming.

They seem to have a strange habit of not putting wires/water pipes in the ground but overground. Using fragile structure to take the wires over roads??

This evening we wandered around our local area and enjoyed it more. Mostly because after loosing the holiday pool match to Mrs B in Tokyo I won tonight on the last ball. In the end we ended up loving this city too. Some people are grumpy and terse but the majority are friendly/knowledgeable and, of course, speak better English then me.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Certainly sounds like you're packing a lot in to your trip - must have taken a lot of planning/organising - well done ... 8)

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
KS

Post by KS »

Brilliant itinerary. I bet the car got a lot of attention out on the road!
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

Don’t forget to do Orson Welles Ferris Wheel!!
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

A wet start to our drive to Salzburg.

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Well Salzburg is stunning. The mountains are amazing. I didn't realise that Mozart spent the first 25 years of his life here.

A wet but trouble run to Munich. The road through the mountains is amazing

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

One of the top favorite places for us; Salzburg has it all, fab indeed.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

No prizes for guessing where we are today ImageImage

jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by jeremyg »

Any BMW 319 roadsters there Neil? Pic please.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Sry I think there where but we left before your message

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Jakki took this one but not much detail Image

jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by jeremyg »

Perfect - the yellow and blue one is a 315 or 319. Nice one Jakki. Is this in Salzburg or Munich? I’ve lost track of where you are. Great trip you two.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Munich BMW Museum. One more night here and Trier tomorrow.

misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

Really enjoying this thread!