RHD conversion?

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

richardb
DDK Newbie

RHD conversion?

Post by richardb »

Hi everyone,
I'm new here and am wondering about picking up a 914 as a restoration project, but I'm a bit concerned about them all being LHD. I understand that a few 914's have been converted to RHD so obviously it is a possibility, but how difficult is it in practice?

I've done a little bit of welding and I'm quite happy to get my hands dirty and wield a spanner, but I'm not a professional mechanic, so could it realistically be a DIY job? Any thoughts or tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks...

Richard
middlefour1
DDK rules my life!

Post by middlefour1 »

Hi Richard,

Driving from the other side is no real problem, I've had my fourteen for getting on for 12 years now and I have never had any problems. A converted car will always be worth a lot less and frankly I can't see any benfit at all in doing the conversion. Keep it LHD and enjoy it. :thumbup:
Steve
1970 Silver 914 - Gone but never forgotten........
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Agreed!

Driving LHD is fine.

I drive a 60s Split Screen VW Camper LHD most days and in traffic - no worries!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

I've driven on the wrong side for years and not had any problems or feel that I'm missing out.

The effort, time, aggravation and potential cost far outweighs the advantages of converting to RHD

Save yourself a bunch and stick with LHD
tomgoodwin3
DDK addict

Post by tomgoodwin3 »

Also agreed,

My expereince of LHD has been limited but I can say it's very easy to get used to from a driving perspective. You have to be a little more careful when overtaking obviously.

Of course you can encounter problems when you need to use driver side services.....parking ticket machines, etc......jus carry a litter picker in the car! :-)
Tom Goodwin

....currently car-less...deciding what to buy....
richardb
DDK Newbie

Post by richardb »

Thanks everyone - that sounds like a pretty resounding 'don't bother' :lol:

Now I've just got to find a good car and persuade the my wife that it's a 'good investment' ...
Nige

Post by Nige »

actually you might find a RHD conversion easier than the justification to the wife :lol:

I tried to justify buying a set of new alloys for a Karmann Ghia years ago, I found it easier just not to let her know and fit them secretly, she never even noticed!!
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Agree with everyone else LHD is no problem. Unfortunately I think converting the wife may be a bigger problem :( :(
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
Barry

Post by Barry »

Hi Richard, I've got a 914 (LHD) and agree with all of the above, but since I'm on my second RHD converted 911, perhhaps I can offer my thoughts on converting a 914?

Firstly, as you may have noticed, the steering input goes to the steering rack via the centre of the car, therefore the rack, and front suspension remains unchanged. The dash is basically a straight line across the car, and I believe is detachable. With this in mind, theoretically you should be able to remove the dash, and cut/shut it around, to end up with a more or less mirror image, which you would then have to find a way of covering again (insulation foam plus vinyl??) to look original. The steering column mounts would have to be removed from the bulkhead, a reverse version made, and fitted into the RHD position.

The loom reaches the dash from the current driver's side, and returns to the engine bay via the centre of the car, therefore each of the switch, lighting and instrument wires will have to be lengthened used very high quality fittings (not cheapo DIY ones).

The handbrake obviously has to be swapped. You would need either a RHD 911 pedalbox, or heavily modify the existing one. The pedalbox would sit in a well that is not currently there on the 914. This has to be let into the O/S footwell: this has implications for the fuel tank, that has to be removed, gas-cleared, and then have a RHD footwell shape chunk removed, and blanked to a very safe standard ( :shock: ). Ideally the gearlever mount would be moved across the centre tunnel, as it sits slightly to the left of the car (nearer the driver).

If you had a centre console fitted (not all cars do) it is not symetrical (sp? sorry), and the classy way to do it would be to make a replica in mirror image.

Conclusion: Crayford converted a small number od 914's, as have a few other British owners. A RHD 914 would be a rare car, but not necessarily worth any more, unless undertaken in a very highly engineered fasion, with substantial photographic and documentary evidence to proof the quality of any work. I suspect that if the work was carried out on a DIY basis, the actual costs would be quite low, but the hours count could easily equal a medium restoration. Like the folk above, I've quickly got used to LHD, despite my first choice being firmly RHD. I was intent on converting my '14, but now don't feel the need (especially as it's now for sale anyway :wink: ).

HTH, and good luck finding a suitable project: would love to see pictures of what you buy :) .
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
kevster
Married to the DDK

Post by kevster »

i would go with the concensus of LHD being not a problem at all - driving round town quite alot doesnt cause me any problems plus you get to hear the 'what the f*@^' is that? comments easier!

You can get wife conversion kits if you do a search on google... 8)
'74 silver 914 2.0 US import
'91 944 S2 cab
renault scenic dci
trek Y22 OCLV FS
GT dyno deuce cruiser
sarasota cruiser
not enough toys - too little time...
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

kevster wrote:plus you get to hear the 'what the f*@^' is that? comments easier!
That's so true Kev :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was bit worried about buying lhd at first but you'll find that you get accustomed to it very quickly, i'm think i actually prefer it to rhd now :)

Good luck
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
timmyboy
DDK above all

Post by timmyboy »

LHD rocks 8)

I too prefer LHD and I've only had my car 5 mins. The only problem I've found is my passenger window doesn't open, so car parks scare me more that anything! :shock:
Philw
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Philw »

Richard,

I have owned both a rhd converted 914 and a lhd. The rhd was not a Crayford and took a long time to iron out the problems arising from a less than diligent conversion. However it was nice to have the convenience of rhd. However the first time I sat in a lhd 914 I realised that they were better left original. The pedal clusters are rarely moved to the correct position on the rhd conversions as it involves re-shaping the fuel tank. Getting the dash to a true mirror image requires significant cutting and shaping. The radio slot for instance will never be deep enough when the dash is swapped. I mounted my stereo upright in a centre console which I re-made repositioning the guages. It looked fine and worked well having said all of that. The way you need to shift gears on a 914 also seems to work more sympatehtically on a left hooker allowing you to properly roll the shift. Although the gearchanges on '14's are all so individual its hard to make a direct comparison. Anyway in short I would never bother with rhd 914's again and you quickly get used to lhd particularly if it isn't a daily driver, when the roof is off and the sun is shining you won;t worry about rushing at car park entrances etc. :wink:

Phil
Steve C
DDK Seasoned Poster

RE: RHD conversion

Post by Steve C »

I have recently started a 914 resto. project - 1975 california car 1.8, very solid body & mechanics, poor interior.
I am debating on whether to carry out a RHD conversion.
As an engineer, I will have no problem in actually converting the vehicle, (I am even going to mould a new rubber dash to an exact mirror image of the original, modify the bulkhead to enable fitting of the stereo in the dash panel etc)
My real dilemma is whether or not the car should remain as originally intended - LHD. (I intend painting the car in its original colour - Palma green).
I intend keeping the car when completed and driving it regularly around the Norfolk country roads, therefore, would much prefer to drive RHD.
However, will this conversion (assuming it is carried out to a very high standard) affect the value or desirability of this car?
Your comments would be valued.
914-6
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914-6 »

Hello, I find this thread very interesting as I own both an original Crayford, some believe to be the first, plus a lhd '6 race car.

The Crayford conversion is very good in some aspects but not so good in others. It is believed that only 11 cars were converted , 7 for UK mostly for Malaya Garage in sussex.

the gear change arrangement in a 914 definitley favours left hand drive, I find it takes me sometime to get used to it again after not driving for some time (been about 3 years now since I've had it out of storage.)

I say leave it lhd, apart from the fact it makes the crayfords more exclusive --not sure about value, I really dont think it's worth all the hassle.

The only real problem with lhd is overtaking, and that you easily get used to by modifying your driving style and leaving a bit more room between you and the vehicle in front.

Have fun
Ian