Trolley & Welder

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

Philw
DDK Seasoned Poster

Trolley & Welder

Post by Philw »

After another long break due to job & family committments I am back in the garage struggling with my '74 2:0 litre 914..... To recap I took her off the road 4 years ago when I swopped wheels with pablo to go 5 stud and also to address "some rust" which had led to an MOT failure. Anyway, front struts are all swapped, and the rear is stripped down to allow for the rust repairs which are all batttery tray related. I have ground/wire brushed all the surrounding areas and the repairs are doable although as is usual more extensive than initially thought. I have decided to get the drivetrain out to make sure access is good for the welding. I was going to do the old way of dropping the engine from a raised car but having searched the posts here and the pelican site can now see that the lowering the car method is the way to go. Hence my first question which is: has anyone any reccomendations of a suitable trolley to sit the engine & box on? or should I make one??? Secondly I recognise that the welding is beyond me so have an offer of help to do from a friend but am also thinking of getting a pro to do it. As the 914 has no rear wheels getting it out of my garage is not really possible so I wondered if anyone knew of a decent welder in the Reading/Bracknell area who would come to me and do the work in my garage??? Long shot but if you don't ask.... I was a little downhearted when I revealed the last bit of rust and seriously considered chucking in the towel, but when I calmed down I realised the damage is not terminal and the rest of the car is good so worth persevering with. I have little time these days but desperately want to get the 914 back on track. My other option would be to find a garage that is willing to try and get a 914 with no rear wheels up a sloping driveway onto a low loader to take it away to do the work, but that seems less likley...
Anyway DDK keeps me motivated, hope someone can offer advice on the above.

Cheers
Phil
p.s. its not all bad so long as my daily driver remains a 968 but that may change in the near future so I will be even more desperate to get the 914 on the road :)
abm914
Events Organiser

Post by abm914 »

Phil

Keep at it. Whereabouts are you based?? (may be able to come round and give you some encouragement!!!

Also, do you have any picks of your rebuild?

Ad
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Hi Phil,

I dropped the engine out of my 911 onto a homemade wooden trolley as I don't have my own welding plant. A few lengths of 2"x4' and a 1/2" MDF top, four castors from Screwfix and jobs a good 'un :)

Sounds like a project worth completing so good luck 8)
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Re: Trolley & Welder

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

Philw wrote:my first question which is: has anyone any reccomendations of a suitable trolley to sit the engine & box on? or should I make one???
Phil I have one that i used, I bought it from an office supplies type place but for the life of me can't remember what they're called, all i can remember is that i went to KaiserKraft near Watford and they didnt have what i needed in stock and recommended this other place around the corner. I had to switch the handle mountings about but it certainly worked for me, you can just make out the trolley underneath the rear box in the pictures on this thread:

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... light=drop

I'm in Nth London, if you're anywhere near me you are very welcome to borrow it.
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
Philw
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Philw »

Thanks Gilbert, I have picked up a general purpose job that can be either a sack truck or a trolley, with a few mods should do the job nicely.

I have some pics of the car as she is and will try work out how to post them soon. I'll keep snapping and share the progress. For those that asked I live near Bracknell in Berkshire.

Thanks for the encouragement.
JB-L
DDK forever

Post by JB-L »

I have always found old roll cage bases are very useful, more than man enough for the job. If you fish one out of your local river/pond/canal you can even congratulate yourself on your environmental contribution!
I love the smell of burnt rubber and hydrocarbons in the morning, it smells of......victory.
abm914
Events Organiser

Post by abm914 »

Phil

You should try and hook up with Rob (Robster on here) - he's based in Wokingham and is one of the biggest 'spanners' :lol: that I know of when it comes to 914's!

Also, you should come up to Stanford Hall this Sunday as there will be a load of 914'ers there.

Ad