My year with my Lola-Porsche 2022

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

My year with my Lola-Porsche 2022

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thought a few of you would like to see what happened this year with my hillclimb Lola Sports Libre car.

The year started somewhat awkwardly with the build of the 300bhp/ 8000 rpm engine based on the stock 3.2 I put in the car over a decade ago.

This engine gave 298.7 bhp at 6800 as a virgin 'tight' engine fresh off the engine stand, and some will remember, it was a lot of grief to finish it.
The season was kicked-off in the Midland Hillclimb Championship which I have done for 30 years, my most success has been in this Lola car and the intent was to win the class for the 5th time, i oddly felt very competitive about this as I hit 70 at the end of March, a month before the first event.

Plan was to win the Class, to better previous PB's (person bests) and keep the new comers behind me, and above all to keep the engine and car in one piece.
The newcomers were in the form of Mike Luck in a 5 litre TVR Championship car and a few others. Mike planned to do all the events for 2022. There is usually between 3 or 6 in the class, each event has 2 race runs, and each run is awarded points depending on numbers starting the event and positions.

First event was at Prescott, a venue I like a lot in the Cotswolds in late April.
The weekend was fine and dry and went well, the new engine taking some getting used to as I could now hear it screaming...

Beat the TVR and came 2nd in class behind the might MiniEVO but the gap to this car was far closer than before, all good!
However, the car handled poorly, squirming about and definitely not like it was in 2021. Tyres?

Indeed, the slicks were in their 3rd year and had gone off, and a new set fitted after (£1400) and I took the opportunity to change the fronts to A20 grade compound rather than the super soft A92, much better!

The engine started to loosen up. There is a lot of friction in this build but it all started to ease off nicely.

Events came along as the year progressed, Shelsley Walsh and then to my favorite, Loton Park, but no PB's despite the engine, probably my age and the shoulder injuries I sustained building the engine(!) hampering progress.

With the TVR still behind me on points we went on holiday. The TVR did well and suddenly he was right there with me.

Back in the seat for Loton again my PB fell! The whole car felt like it had come to me and I suddenly felt very comfortable even though injuries continued to invade my poor body, I felt like an 80 year old.

The fresh slicks were on the job too and all went well, DRY weekends (that is most unusual) and a string of PB's, one meeting at Prescott I cut it 3 times in 4 runs which got up the nose of the TVR and at times the MiniEVO.

Points built up steadily, and the car's reliability was 100%, but I could not better my times at Shelsley Walsh with one or two lurid drives into bottom Esse which is tricky to run as a few on here know.

The engine opened up more and I think it is now around 320 bhp, rock steady tick over (at 1250 rpm) and a good starter, hot or cold. Fuel consumption got better, around 6 mpg to about 10 mpg!

Prescott in September was simply The Best, and the most pressure. The TVR could gain some ground if I cocked it up and the practice runs I did were not the best...

Feeling determined, all risks were taken resulting in more PBs and even a Class win. Been a long time since I won the class, a special feeling and although I was forgetting the pain of the engine my 90 year old body was in trouble!

As I went into the event at Loton in Sept I thought I had done enough to win the Class, but as I have learnt many times; do not count your chickens too soon, there are points to drop and a few other rules that can irritate.

After a storming Loton, the Class Win was confirmed, so my name will be stamped in silver for the 5th time on the Trophy, the TVR came in second, so we will all assemble in December for the fancy Lunch and collecting the glassware on the silver base.

A great great year, there has been many ups and downs and challenges and a real need to focus.
The TVR gave me a great incentive to push, and I'm sure he will be back next year with a vengeance and a score to settle!

The car will get some TLC (already started), lots of tinkering to ensure reliability (good fun) and in a few weeks the suspension geo will be checked by Sean at McClurg Motorsport who did a superb job 10 years ago.

Have a mod in mind for the engine to get more power and torque, but that is a story for 2023.

Anyway, just a quick precis of my year with my little club race car. :drunken:

I think I may have another 5 years left in me, maybe more! :alien:
I have seen many DDK'rs at these meeting and others too from my past and I especially thank FCD, Rob, Chris, 491, and Wayne, oh, and the Master, Jonathan and Gary and Neil for lots of encouragement and taking interest.
Most of all, my wife of 44 years who has only missed one event in 32 years of this all consuming motorsport.

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
hot66

Re: My year with my Lola-Porsche 2022

Post by hot66 »

sounds like you've found the fun again 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Great stuff and pleased to hear you're already looking forward to the next year
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
KS

Post by KS »

Sounds like you're starting to get the hang of the hillclimbing lark! :lol:

A great read, and congratulations on a brilliant season!
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Brilliant stuff, I’ll have to get to an event at Loton or Shelsley next year and see it in person as it’s been a while!
andytat
DDK forever

Post by andytat »

A great summary Graham. Looking forward to next year.

Andy
Now Porsche less and sad.
3.2 Carrera Speedster (Sold and sorely missed)
3.2 Manual Cayenne (Sold)
73 2.4S (Gone to Singapore)
75 3.0l 914 (Sold)
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Great write up. I'm interested to hear the engine mod. Also 20hp from a run in engine?

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Brilliant Graham.
Rust Never Sleeps
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thank you all.
Possibly my most enjoyable year in the Lola esp after the war with the engine.
Ref Neil and 20 BHP
The gain is as much from getting into the 7500 rpm as the friction.
The rollers were running at about 6800 for 298 BHP.

I need to crack on with making the larger choke sleeves for the carbs now and then back to the rollers for a test.
Ben thought now it was revving, it could manage more air flow and still keep the bottom end access.

Geo check now booked in for early November. Will be interesting to see if that has changed in 10 years.

Have some bits to do on the car, very minor, similarly on the 911.

Lining up a few mini projects for the winter, taking it easy for the first time in 40 years while my body heals!
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Great story Graham, and I'm sure you have a few good years in you yet, Bill Drysdale is over 80 and still at it!

This quote made me laugh, I would have to have it the only way round :lol:
911hillclimber wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:24 pm Most of all, my wife of 44 years who has only missed one event in 32 years of this all consuming motorsport.
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I am very lucky with her.
Very few drivers and wife couples in hillclimbs.
She takes care of many things to do with the season all weathers and puts up with a lot.

She does actually enjoy motorsport which is handy, but she also knows every trick in the book to me getting my own way, so I'm doomed to total transparency, and I recover quickly most times.
I think Bill is wired-up a bit differently to anyone else I know!

Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

Very well done Graham, just remember 'old guys rule' and I absolutely love your car.
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

Well done Graham. The car doesn't drive itself!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

Great write up Graham, love the way you get older as the season progresses!

See you for more next year!
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
chris68
DDK slapper chatter

Post by chris68 »

Great post Graham. Terrific result as well after all the ignition woes. You stuck at it where I would have spat my dummy out :wink: .
Cheers
'68 swb 911L
'62 Lotus 22
100cc Historic Karts