London .. help on where to live

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: London .. help on where to live

Post by neilbardsley »

anglophone1 wrote:Have to read whole thread to get that Neil- most haven.t time - sadly.
Or you could just read the previous post!!

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by 23e Heure »

Darren65 wrote:.....mmm, suggestions from a bunch of old and middle aged blokes! :blackeye: :
Just about sums it up :lol:
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
satan
DDK above all

Post by satan »

Hey, I resemble that comment!

My 911 lives 10 miles away from me and since I’ve lived here I’ve had very little need for a car as public transport is generally very good. There’s plenty of car clubs with hourly rental if you need it.
1971 911e
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

I lived here: https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/prope ... r-gardens/
Great location. 10 mins walk from Selfridges and Hyde Park. Walking distance to SOHO. Not cheap though. Little Venice is really nice too. Paddington area, which is very close to where I was living.
https://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-d ... tle-venice
Paul
1970 2.2 911 T / Ex RS Clone, now more original looking, with 1979 3.2 SS engine
1988 3.2 Carrera Commemorative edition (sold)
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

23e Heure wrote:
Darren65 wrote:.....mmm, suggestions from a bunch of old and middle aged blokes! :blackeye: :
Just about sums it up Image
Some with children/colleagues a similar age to James' daughter so similar conversations have been had.

Perhaps not as out of touch as your comment suggests

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

neilbardsley wrote:
23e Heure wrote:
Just about sums it up Image
Some with children/colleagues a similar age to James' daughter so similar conversations have been had.

Perhaps not as out of touch as your comment suggests

Agree Neil.
Had the discussions not long ago with both of my daughters.
Rust Never Sleeps
101sinbad
Married to the DDK

Post by 101sinbad »

Hey James,

there really isn't an area in London that is wholly good or bad.

Most "fancy" areas will have some part that is less appealing, and less appealing areas will have some redeeming features.

I'd suggest you look for something within 10-20 minutes commute from Soho if she wants to make the most of the nightlife whilst she's interning.

If she is sharing with her friend and they have been living in Stockwell.....which is quite a good place to live, I would recommend you let her do some of the heavy lifting in choosing areas. Unless of course the friend is not very clued up :shock:

My work is across on the other side of Oxford Street from Soho, so if you need any help I can certainly offer advice and more practical help.

We have about 10-15 interns a year and most of them share with friends. They seem to prefer Clapham, Shoreditch, Dalston, Brixton, Putney and Fulham.
Nige

Post by Nige »

If she wants city living what's wrong with Leeds, Manchester, York or Sheffield!

I assume you've warned her of 'them' down South. Nowt but wronguns!

It'll end in tears.

:)
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

23e Heure wrote:
Just about sums it up :lol:
Hey you're cramping my style..

Scene tax
silver911
Married to the DDK

Post by silver911 »

It seems like the intention is to live a "London" life for a year or so....and it might be worth considering what that entails... it could be long commutes on the tube train most days and weekends doing the same to get to Central London attractions... or its about living somewhere close to work (walk/ bus) and easy access to good events/ pubs/ clubs etc.

I am not to date with the up and coming clubs and pubs across London, all I know is that my 20 year old son would be pretty p'eed off if I moved out of Camden...and its easy access to Regents' Park, Camden pubs/ clubs and events (as well as his mates). All within safe walking distance. Access to work down on New Oxford Street was brilliant.. buses, tube or cycle and walk all possible depending on the day etc. Some areas are very good, others less so; getting to visit is helpful as everyone's views are different.

Just had a quick look on Zoopla for what is rented around here within the sort of budget mentioned.... and three people, for example:
https://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/detail ... 686437c54f

Its on a pretty decent street..... close to tube stations and right next to a load of bus routes. Easy to get to a few good pubs; well my view of decent pubs and the market/ canalside stuff. There are parts of Camden/ Kentish Town etc that are more than sketchy.... and parts that are so nice as to be a caricature of London life.

For me living in London has always been about quick and easy travel to work/ fun etc. Spending time commuting always felt so wasteful and never felt I "got back" that time/ quality of life by living somewhere larger/ nicer and further out at weekends. I've lived here for the last 20 odd years and those factors are still very valid and to me necessary. The location means I can be in Central London in 20mins or out in the countryside in an hour or 10 mins to a park.

Worked on a project in Shepherds' Bush aimed at exactly at the market you are looking at.... young people wanting to flat share and enjoy the London life. And it's weakness was the distance to Central London.... walking there is pretty much a no-no, as was (is?) cycling for most. So buses and tube. The impact of Westfield and its enlargement were massive, prices going up quickly, pubs and clubs evolving to become more mainstream (bland....) and expensive because they could do so... a captive market so to speak. It didn't get off the ground as by the time it would have been built the target market would have been priced out of the local facilities... shame. Had to look at the "Parental Bank" market instead.