No none electric car sales from 2030??

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: No none electric car sales from 2030??

Post by Nine One One »

Jonny,

Does your 914 EV conversion maintain its original Tesla charger or did you convert it to the standard CCS Type 2, or did you keep the Tesla supercharger socket so you can use their network?
Jonny Hart

Post by Jonny Hart »

Nine One One wrote:Jonny,

Does your 914 EV conversion maintain its original Tesla charger or did you convert it to the standard CCS Type 2, or did you keep the Tesla supercharger socket so you can use their network?
Currently has a 7kW charger. CCS is v. expensive at the moment (£3,300) and the Tesla charger hacks are all WIP.

TBH, I am happy with 7kW as there aren't many 'superchargers' round my way.
Last edited by Jonny Hart on Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

To me this is like running your car on 100LL avgas, for people who store their car at an airport and drive their cars in a loop, not a problem. Planning a journey? Great lets do that and you can do your flight plan. Bob can fly in to France and we will pick him up from there. Its great as a hobby or a as a shed.

On the aspect of Greenwashing, we are planning on putting solar panels in our 200 space customer car park. At the moment we have solar panels on the warehouse roof and that covers the average useage of our company and we have 8 EV chargers. On a sunny day we can charge the EVs and my bosses Taycan. But the wiring and network on site is not thick enough to do this. Instead what we do is drip feed our solar back into the grid and the EVs use the power that would have gone to the Warehouse to supply the 300kw fast chargers.
With a carpark full of solar panels each space would make on average/yr 2500kwh which times 200 would seem plenty of juice for the growing EV and 2030 artificial target. But not every EV driver will want a trickle charge like Jonnys 914, they want 300kw or more in the future.
So although we would make on average 500,000kw a year more, we can't get a bigger cable in from the city it would be a larger formula of what we have now. We would sell this green electricty to them to sell to others and they can tell people that it is Greenpeace appeoved.
Yesterday 56% of the electricty was made using fossil fueled power stations. That is alot of C02, of course over a year we will average it out to look better. But this is more creative accounting than the reality.
Scene tax
stichill99
DDK Fanatic

Post by stichill99 »

Thank you hot66 (James) you got there before me! .Sam please read James attachment fully!
70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

There is a harry's farm video on this too which is really interesting - https://youtu.be/feSBsLSRkWs

I found it a well thought out factual counter to the floored documentary which is Cowspiracy, which only looks at one type of farming method to produce all its figures.
Jonny

Current custodian of 1976 Porsche 912E, 1973 VW Camper
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

sisu wrote:To me this is like running your car on 100LL avgas, for people who store their car at an airport and drive their cars in a loop, not a problem. Planning a journey? Great lets do that and you can do your flight plan. Bob can fly in to France and we will pick him up from there. Its great as a hobby or a as a shed.

On the aspect of Greenwashing, we are planning on putting solar panels in our 200 space customer car park. At the moment we have solar panels on the warehouse roof and that covers the average useage of our company and we have 8 EV chargers. On a sunny day we can charge the EVs and my bosses Taycan. But the wiring and network on site is not thick enough to do this. Instead what we do is drip feed our solar back into the grid and the EVs use the power that would have gone to the Warehouse to supply the 300kw fast chargers.
With a carpark full of solar panels each space would make on average/yr 2500kwh which times 200 would seem plenty of juice for the growing EV and 2030 artificial target. But not every EV driver will want a trickle charge like Jonnys 914, they want 300kw or more in the future.
So although we would make on average 500,000kw a year more, we can't get a bigger cable in from the city it would be a larger formula of what we have now. We would sell this green electricty to them to sell to others and they can tell people that it is Greenpeace appeoved.
Yesterday 56% of the electricty was made using fossil fueled power stations. That is alot of C02, of course over a year we will average it out to look better. But this is more creative accounting than the reality.
Have you considered vanadium batteries as part of your setup? Also, you could open your own commercial charge points to sell direct to the customer - cut out the middle man.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Jonny Hart

Post by Jonny Hart »

Went to a car show yesterday in the 914 EV I'm still setting the car up - needs geo etc but am getting to grips with how it drives. It does feel quite spritely but until now no real comparison with anything.

Anyhow, I was parked next to a 997.1 GT3 RS at the show and we just happened to leave in convoy. On the twisties and overtaking I could easily keep up with it - actually gaining on it out of corners. The owner connected through Instagram and said he was struggling for grip - that car has 325/50 rear tyres and I'm on 205s! I had the targa roof off as well! :)

GT3 RS: 297 bhp / ton. max torque 298 ft-lbs @ 5500 rpm
914EV: 238 bhp /ton. max torque 243 ft-lbs from 0 rpm

Soulless, boring? Nah.
tim69s
DDK above all

Post by tim69s »

Hi Jonny,
Is there a build thread anywhere for your 914 EV conversion?
Sounds quite nippy!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Jonny Hart

Post by Jonny Hart »

tim69s wrote:Hi Jonny,
Is there a build thread anywhere for your 914 EV conversion?
Sounds quite nippy!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
The first part of the journey is on Vintage Voltage episode 10 (Discovery+). Want to do some more video on it when the weather cheers up a bit.
Nine One One

Post by Nine One One »

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lotus/ele ... dium=email

And Allegro steering wheels are back!
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

Jonny Hart wrote:Went to a car show yesterday in… On the twisties and overtaking I could easily keep up with it - actually gaining on it out of corners. The owner connected through Instagram and said he was struggling for grip - that car has 325/50 rear tyres and I'm on 205s! I had the targa roof off as well! :)

GT3 RS: 297 bhp / ton. max torque 298 ft-lbs @ 5500 rpm
914EV: 238 bhp /ton. max torque 243 ft-lbs from 0 rpm

Soulless, boring? Nah.
With a £100k Tesla saloon now able to run a long 8 second quarter mile, the discussion over performance is finished. A £2m Chiron won’t do that.

I want a Dacia Jogger. A 1200kg(!), 7 seat MPV with a manual box and a zingy 999cc turbo. Imagine the joy of ragging every last rpm out of that driving the family around. Carrying speed, meticulously judging long-range overtakes, tipping it hard into corners on a trailing throttle then immediately on the power long before the apex. That’s joyful motoring for me, not smushing the throttle of a 1000bhp saloon. Though I would like a quick go if anyone has one. :)
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

So I'm thinking that your 1.6 205 must be the epitome of analogue driving left to mankind? I think i need to own one!
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

ETA: my experience of Dacia turbo stuff is extremely underwhelming!
Sam

Post by Sam »

A Citroen AX is the one really. 640kg for a whole car makes you wonder how a Caterham can possibly weigh as much as 500kg.

There are so many glorious engineering details on them and they’re super-aero.

Just typing this made me realise how much I want one. I wonder what you could get one down to with a bike engine, minimal interior and some carbon panels. 550kg?
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

Sam wrote:A Citroen AX is the one really. 640kg for a whole car makes you wonder how a Caterham can possibly weigh as much as 500kg.

There are so many glorious engineering details on them and they’re super-aero.

Just typing this made me realise how much I want one. I wonder what you could get one down to with a bike engine, minimal interior and some carbon panels. 550kg?
I am of the same view - would like to try one of the diesels (1.4 or 1.5) .... BUT , there are very very few left , I do keep looking though (Plenty of Petrol ones still available - relatively speaking)
Royal Enfield .. still in India
GL 1800 Tour DCT, for pleasure / Fantic 240 Professional - play
Rally 911 (1966) build parked for a while
Rally 928 (work started again - inc serious weight loss programe !)
.... and now another VW Up GTI owner.