Anyone waiting for UK registration on an imported vehicle ?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Re: Anyone waiting for UK registration on an imported vehicl

Post by MarkIII »

Good news on Registering your target Mike

I sent off my application a few days ago, along with the std form and proof of ID, address etc the only proof of age I had was the US title certificate, fingers crossed it will be enough.
nikmak912
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by nikmak912 »

Hi guys, just come across your thread. I have a 1966 (1965 built) 912 that was imported from the US. I have the NOVA, the original US title, certificate of production from Porsche and the receipt from the UK seller. Could I register it the UK? Its been stripped and is undergoing a slow resto! No MOT or insurance. What do I need to send to DVLA to get a V5? I bought it in 2015. Whats the chance of getting it registered without an inspection?
Thanks in advance. Nick.
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

You have all the paperwork you need to show duties have been paid and proof of age, etc. Now you need to download and complete the V55/5 form here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -time-v555

In theory, the vehicle needs to be complete and roadworthy, but many have been registered in a stripped form, like yours – the chances of having to have it inspected are 50/50. If it does get selected for inspection, your application will be rejected until the vehicle is complete. It will also need to be insured on the chassis number.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
nikmak912
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by nikmak912 »

Thanks Keith,what about all the bumf on the V55 about Cert. of Conformity? do you fill all that in? wheel base etc? printed off the V55/5, looks really complicated! Don't think its gonna happen, can't be bothered to insure it and print out all the bumf to get it knocked back on the inspection! What do you think?
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

I wondered the same thing but Andy gave me the heads up on what to fill in. You don’t need to do any of that emissions, certificate of conformity, wheelbase, gross weight, length etc box filling. Get the basics down, car, model, version, cc’s, colour, body type and make sure you put ‘historic vehicle’ and cross your fingers.

Regards
Mike

Don’t forget your payment!
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Oh yes, and I got absolutely nothing back except the V5 so if you want any of the previous documentation kept with the cars history be sure to take copies before you send off.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
KS

Post by KS »

Yes, Mike's right – you don't need to worry about half the stuff on the V55/5 - you should get the paperwork back EXCEPT for the original title. I've always had everything returned, but probably better to be safe than sorry. TBH, you're probably wiser to wait – more cars seem to get inspected these days (largely as a result of too many people trying to pull the wool over the DVLA's eyes by importing US-built street rods and trying to claim historic status).
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

A further update to help others,

I received today a separate letter from the DVLA confirming the registration of my vehicle and the new number plate and the return of every document I sent with the exception of the Finnish Registration Document and my covering letter explaining the original difference between Porsche’s build date (1972), first registration (1972 in Germany) and the designation of Porsche Model Year (1973). As expected I have an ‘L’ registration (very nice plate by accident or design?). So it appears that, as Richard said, the DVLA are most interested in the documents relating to the exact age of the vehicle and I think this is the area to concentrate most on when making your application.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

It would be good to gauge whether provision of the US title certificate alone will be sufficient in terms of providing details of the vehicle and its age.

I do not have a Cof C from porsche as they are no longer available. What do you guys think?

Cheers Mark
KS

Post by KS »

Original title from US is perfectly acceptable – used it the last two times without any problem. Likewise with my Renault imported from France - the original French CG was all the proof DVLA needed.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
KS

Post by KS »

BTW, don't forget to get a good copy or scan of the title before you send it off as DVLA won't return the original...
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by stretch »

Do i need to MOT a post 40 year old imported vehicle to get a V5. ?
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
KS

Post by KS »

No, although you need to be aware that there is a possibility your vehicle will need to be inspected by SGS, the company employed by DVLA to check the vehicle details in person. For that reason, if the vehicle is not complete and, in theory, drivable, DVLA will almost certainly reject the application until such time as it is complete and roadworthy.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by stretch »

Complete and drives. Thanks Keith.
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
arbitrate
DDK Fanatic

Post by arbitrate »

Just to update this thread with another set of data points…

My 914 arrived in Soton on Monday 2 August. I was able to collect in Soton on Wednesday 11 August. For some reason ShipMyCar took the original title to Milton Keynes so it took another week for it to arrive at mine. On Thursday 19 August I posted the V55 form, the original title, a copy of the NOVA acceptance from HMRC, a copy of my insurance certificate along with a cheque for £55 to the DVLA via signed-for post. It shows as delivered on Saturday 21 August. I’m now at the 4 week point and have heard nothing back nor has the cheque been cashed. Will post again when I have more news, hopefully soon!
sunflower yellow 1973 914/6 conversion