Wiring Loom help

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Re: Wiring Loom help

Post by Cortina »

deano wrote:I think, unless your loom is damaged beyond repair, or want a shiny new one, there should be no reason not to re-use the existing loom. I base my thoughts on the good state of my own 1973 loom, which is perfectly fine, and 30+ years electrical/electronic engineering experience.

It would be a good idea to do a continuity check on every single wire from end to end (use croc clips on a multimeter + give the cable a wiggle to see if continuity is interrupted), and ideally clean up every connection (not essential, as the connectors will bite into the wire or terminal when inserted). Might be a good idea to remove the wrap and eyeball for damage, but again not really necessary if continuity is good. If the wrap is in poor condition though.....

As crazy as it might sound, soaking the ends of the wires, and even whole connectors, in a solution of salt and vinegar will remove most of the tarnish and oxide from the connections. Emery paper or fine sandpaper will work too. A fibre pen also does 'something', but is hard work in my opinion. Individual bad wires can be replaced as long as you can get the connectors open (I havent tried, so I dont know this one).

I just looked up the temperature in Brazil and its 26 deg - lucky so and so!
Sorry - I can't let this one past ... there is no such thing as "a temperature" in Brazil ...... have you seen the size of the place !. See how many India's you can fit on Brazil (same scale obviously !) ..... The flight home we took from Sao Paulo (to London ) was an average of about 11 or 12 hours from memory - 4 hours after take off , we were still flying over Brazil !.
Fact : (and I recorded the temps every day when we lived there) We saw more temperature variation in 1 day there , than we saw in 1 year back in Sunny Ireland. (I think it was 19C difference from max to min ?) Ok , I'll go back to welding now ............
Royal Enfield .. still in India
GL 1800 Tour DCT, for pleasure / Fantic 240 Professional - play
Rally 911 (1966) build parked for a while
Rally 928 (work started again - inc serious weight loss programe !)
.... and now another VW Up GTI owner.
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

I purchased a Kroon harness about two years ago for a 1972 RHD. It was a complete harness minus the front lighting looms. I did not send my original loom to Kroon and had a small surcharge as a result. Kroon provided all the correct plugs which he was making at that time. My view is that Kroon wants your old harness as it has good scrap value.
The Kroon harness is an excellent piece of authentic kit.
Rust Never Sleeps
leedurrant73
DDK rules my life!

Post by leedurrant73 »

You may be right but 69 is a one year only car and think there are some plugs they don’t remake?
I will need to check

Thanks Lee
1969 911t, eighth off the production line - B Series, Collecting Parts Again for Resto.
1984 Devon T25 VW Campervan, Back on the Road
1969 Italian Lambretta GP200. Tuned, (restored)
1967 Italian Lambretta SX150, 3 owner, 5 Speed, (Restored)
wadsworthi
DDK addict

Post by wadsworthi »

I have recently remade an engine wiring loom for my SC based 911 engine having had a quote from Kroon for one at around £500. I purchased a used one in the UK for £115 and with the aid of a wiring diagram modified the loom to fit my application reusing much of the existing wiring which although 40 years old still appeared to be in good condition once I had removed all of the old wrapping. I think it is feasible to redo a loom without major issues, but if that is not what you want then the company that Graham mentions in a previous post for a TR7 is Autosparks in Nottingham who do list a 911 in the looms that they can supply https://www.autosparks.co.uk/
Hope this helps.

Ian
Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Post by Dougieboy1 »

the loom from my MY72 car was in a right old mess when i finally removed it. I had all kinds of 'period modifications' i.e. places where previous owners had spliced in 'all new and improved' wiring to incorporate stuff like the obligatory post dealer air con units, some buzzers for those of us who leave lights etc on, additional airhorns etc. There was damage and deterioration based on age and heat and them some sections where the wiring had simply been bypassed or replaced, connectors missing etc.....

So the old one went to Kroon and a nice shiny new loom was forthcoming. 3k for the basic loom, ended up 5k with all the 'extras' fog lights, engine loom (i didnt have one), power windows etc.

Great connection diagrams and they are very helpful in answering any 'dumb' questions you might have - i had loads.

Personally, i think it was money well spent for the confidence the car isnt going to burst into flames whenever i turn the key.
1972 911S
1944 VW Schwimmwagen (originally a Porsche typ128, eventually VW166)
A bunch of other crap (according to my wife)
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

Give AutoSparks a go, I purchased a full loom for my 68 project a few months ago, cost was around £800

E: sales@autosparks.co.uk
leedurrant73
DDK rules my life!

Post by leedurrant73 »

Thanks very much will see what they say?

Regards Lee
1969 911t, eighth off the production line - B Series, Collecting Parts Again for Resto.
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Jonny Hart »

MarkIII wrote:Give AutoSparks a go, I purchased a full loom for my 68 project a few months ago, cost was around £800

E: sales@autosparks.co.uk
Wow, I don't see how that is possible. The original connectors plus pins, wire and sheathing would be several hundred pounds to buy. Many hours to make. Unless a '68 is far simpler than the later car?
leedurrant73
DDK rules my life!

Post by leedurrant73 »

Hello Jonny,

I think the same, as I mentioned previously the 69 is a one year only loom, but its worth a try..
Thanks Lee
stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by stretch »

Seems feasible if you are using all the old connectors from your old loom.
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Autosparks have been in business for at least 30 years - I bought a replacement cotton-braided complete loom from then for an E-Type I was restoring back in ~ '92 ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
IJD
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by IJD »

I can vouch for the Kroon loom's quality. I used one of theirs when rebuilding my '69S. Kroon were exceptionally helpful as mine had some updates through the years to '73RS spec so finding the right combination of loom section and blending them correctly was super important, eg the tacho.

Like was said they needed the original back to reuse some of the connector mouldings, but I really appreciated the after sales support. Replies to emails were always within 24hrs along with phone contact.
Richard M Knight
DDK Fanatic

Post by Richard M Knight »

My 1965 911 Auto Sparks loom was £383.75 in December 2001
leedurrant73
DDK rules my life!

Post by leedurrant73 »

I checked and they don’t do a 69 loom.

Thanks Lee