Rear handbrake/emergency brake shoes .....

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

Butty
DDK Newbie

Rear handbrake/emergency brake shoes .....

Post by Butty »

So can anyone tell me what is the difference between an early set and a late set other than the ridiculous price difference ? Are later ones the same just wider maybe .....
"66 LHD 912"
"63 LHD Split Bus"
"66 RHD Bug"
robs912
DDK Fanatic

Re: Rear handbrake/emergency brake shoes .....

Post by robs912 »

I was gonna replace mine but when I saw the cost I put the old ones back on. Mine weren't too worn and as they are only for the handbrake I reused them. You can get the old ones relined for about £75 if they are not reusable.
Rob
Butty
DDK Newbie

Post by Butty »

robs912 wrote:I was gonna replace mine but when I saw the cost I put the old ones back on. Mine weren't too worn and as they are only for the handbrake I reused them. You can get the old ones relined for about £75 if they are not reusable.
Rob
I could be wrong but I think early ones are 32mm wide and later ones are 25mm wide so I think I'm going down that route . Worth a punt at £20 a set instead of £150 .
I may need to add 3.5mm to the lobes/stops that the shoes rest against .

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
"66 LHD 912"
"63 LHD Split Bus"
"66 RHD Bug"
christaylorsound
DDK addict

Post by christaylorsound »

Did mine today (later car - '82 SC) and it was not the easy job I was expecting! New rear disc change revealed shoes were knack'd but while one side went on OK (bit of technique to learn here) the other required some small 'massaging' aka angle grinding a bit off the adjuster before the disk would go on at all. 1 hour job takes 4 (again...)

Chris.