Ethanol free fuel - help in Scotland!

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Chris_ABZ
DDK Newbie

Re: Ethanol free fuel - help in Scotland!

Post by Chris_ABZ »

The stuff completely screws up carbs, trust me! I don't want to rip apart that nice new 3.8 on a yearly basis. What I want is someone that is willing to supply a few drums of the good stuff; i.e. non-ethanol fuel. Once you all over here (I am a yank) start having problems due to E10+ you will understand. In the meantime I guess I need to find someone willing to fill up a few drums south of the border. I have a storage area sorted. I also have a 74 Norton with a new 920 engine running flatsides I don't want that screwed up either.
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

Chris_ABZ wrote:The stuff completely screws up carbs, trust me! I don't want to rip apart that nice new 3.8 on a yearly basis. What I want is someone that is willing to supply a few drums of the good stuff; i.e. non-ethanol fuel. Once you all over here (I am a yank) start having problems due to E10+ you will understand. In the meantime I guess I need to find someone willing to fill up a few drums south of the border. I have a storage area sorted. I also have a 74 Norton with a new 920 engine running flatsides I don't want that screwed up either.
Have you considered an additive? Millers does one that stops the negative effects of the ethanol apparently https://motornuts.co.uk/millers-vspe-po ... gJDfvD_BwE
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

I use Miller’s VSP - I have no idea if it works , I just figure every little helps!
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
Chris_ABZ
DDK Newbie

Post by Chris_ABZ »

thanks Clive I will check that out. Miller's makes quality products.
anglophone1

Post by anglophone1 »

Used by several other classic 911 folk I know for same reason- every little helps!
Multishot bottle from Halfords does about 10 tanks for about GBP 35
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
Flachbau -in progress
Tony
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Tony »

Don't know if this helps at all but copied today from Classic and Competition Car

Hagerty has gathered impartial expert advice for drivers concerned about the introduction of E10 fuel,
which will replace current E5 unleaded petrol in 2021. This could be the most significant threat to old cars
since the switch from leaded to unleaded fuel, when four star fuel was banned inBritain in 2000 on environmental grounds.
Currently petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5% bioethanol and the labelling on unleaded pumps changed to E5 in
2019. From 2021 E10 will become the new standard with up to 10% bioethanol in the blend. It is produced from crops
such as sugar beet, bioethanol is not a fossil fuel and is renewable. It is being introduced to meet emission targets.
With the introduction of E10 fuel it is claimed that CO2 emissions could be reduced by 750,000 tonnes per year.
This is the same as taking 350,000 cars off the road.
Possible Problems.
Many cars run E5 fuel without any significant problems, but doubling the amount of ethanol can cause a variety of
problems in older cars. Ethanol is hygroscopic, which means it absorbs water from the atmosphere. This water
can lead to condensation in fuel tanks, fuel lines and carburettors, causing corrosion in brass, copper, lead, tin
and zinc components. Ethanol is also a solvent which can eat through rubber, plastic and fibreglass, so hoses and
seals are likely to perish more quickly. Department of Transport tests have identified problems including
degradation of fuel hoses and seals, blocked fuel filters, damaged fuel pumps, corroded carbs, blocked injectors
and corrosion in fuel tanks. Rubber seems to be particularly affected.
Fuel consumption.
Ethanol isn’t as energy dense as petrol, which means the air to fuel ratio could be leaner and may increase fuel
consumption in comparison to E5. All cars registered before 2002 are advised not to use E10
fuel without making modifications, though it could also affect cars up to 2011. The Petrol Retailers Association is
planning an advertising campaign six months before the launch of E10 to advise drivers of the difference between
the fuels, and a web site to allow drivers to check compatibility of their vehicle with E10 petrol. Hagerty is
calling for this campaign to be brought forward to give owners sufficient time to plan and budget accordingly.
Changes required.
It would be recommended to replace fibreglass petrol tanks with an aluminium one. Get rid of rubber fuel lines
and if your carburettor has a soldered float, you may need to carry a spare as ethanol does not like solder. Pre 1996
cars without a catalytic converter can use a lead replacement additive which can help prevent corrosion
and some also contain an ethanol stabiliser. For more modern classics, there are catalyst friendly additives
which may help. The good news is that Super Unleaded fuel should remain at the E5 standard for five years after the introduction of
E10, but is more expensive to buy. If you fill the tank with E10 by mistake, the RAC advise that you don’t need to
drain the tank. It may cause pinking and be a bit more difficult to start, but one tank full shouldn’t cause lasting
damage.
sfh3l
DDK addict

Post by sfh3l »

I use the Millers in all of my old cars. The 911 is able to use unleaded, but my BMW ordinarily not so. Their VSP+e product can be bought in multi-shot concentrate from somewhere like Opie Oils and seems the cheapest way to do it. The product protects cars with softer valve seats and also has an octane booster AND neutralises the ethanol - all in the one product. The only place I wouldn't use it is in a car with a catalyst, as I suspect the valve-seat protection comes with something that might damage a la lead...
Best wishes,

Sam.

'72 911T - '72 3.0csl - 1990 Z1 - Austin 7 Ulster Replica - Derelict 1925 Rolls Royce
DarthMJH
I luv DDK!

Post by DarthMJH »

anglophone1 wrote:I use Miller’s VSP - I have no idea if it works , I just figure every little helps!
C
Thanks for the tip, I’ve just bought a bottle. Are you filling up with unleaded or super unleaded?

Cheers
Mike
1973 RHD 911T
1995 993 C4
anglophone1

Post by anglophone1 »

I’m in Ireland - only 95 unleaded here!
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
Flachbau -in progress
wildtexas
DDK slapper chatter

Post by wildtexas »

anglophone1 wrote:I’m in Ireland - only 95 unleaded here!

Go on Clive, sneak across the border and fill up the Mazda at Asda. :P
anglophone1

Post by anglophone1 »

wildtexas wrote:
anglophone1 wrote:I’m in Ireland - only 95 unleaded here!

Go on Clive, sneak across the border and fill up the Mazda at Asda. :P
Long way from West Cork- what’s a Mazda?
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
Flachbau -in progress