Installing a gear knob

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

911GP
DDK forever

Installing a gear knob

Post by 911GP »

Hello,
This is probably the silliest question ever on DDK but how should a gear knob be installed? If I put the crush sleeve inside the gear knob and push it down it is not secure enough and comes off. Would I get better results with a new crush sleeve or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks
Gitesh
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Installing a gear knob

Post by 911hillclimber »

Not sure if all the bores in the different knobs are the same, or that the gear selector shafts are all the same ie pre 73 v post 73.
type911 only list one crush sleeve, so maybe it is just the hole in the gear knob?

At £6 each, maybe fit a fresh crush sleeve?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
911GP
DDK forever

Post by 911GP »

I'll try a new one. Thank you, Graham.
Kind regards
Gitesh
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

My experience with crush sleeves on a 1970 and a 1972 : neither crush sleeve secured the standard original gear knob. I tried a further sleeve from a different supplier on the 1970 to no benefit. The solution was Araldite.
Rust Never Sleeps
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

That is jogging my memory.
My 73T came with the small lever 'housing' not the much larger S type.
The new knob was a very loose fit and the crush sleeve would not close the gap. I glued mine too. I converted to the large shift housing and the sleeve worked on the yet another new knob so the shaft dia is larger on the tall housings?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

It's many years since I last changed an early Porsche gear knob but, as far as I'm aware, all gear levers (914 tail-shift & side-shift plus late '67-'73 901/911/915) are the same outside diameter & all original (genuine Porsche) gear knobs for these shifters are interchangeable from a fitting point of view.

As for the crush sleeves I do remember that those purchased from different suppliers were not all the same in terms of fit - I do remember that the ones purchased from Roger Bray (& before that from Bert Gear at Berlyn services) did fit though.

The crush sleeves are meant to be replaced each time the gear knob is removed/replaced - the new sleeve needs to be inserted fully into the knob (I used a piece of hardwood dowel of an appropriate size to tap the sleeve into place) & then the knob fitted to the gearshift lever (In my case I tapped it down using a rubber mallet) - making sure that it's in the right orientation in terms of the shift pattern on the top.

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
911GP
DDK forever

Post by 911GP »

Gents,
Thank you. The two I had tried were used ones so I think a new one should make a difference. I’ll get one from Roger Bray and report back.
Happy New Year to you all.
Gitesh
MikeyC
Married to the DDK

Post by MikeyC »

Happy New Year Gitesh.

The crush sleeves need to be new each time (beacause they crush on installation), and I've found that they're only really able to secure a NOS or tidy used OE knob. There are many 2nd hand knobs in circulation that tend to have a worn bore (so insufficient clamp load for the std sleeve). I've also found that some of the new aftermarket knobs also tend to have too large a bore to secure properly with a sleeve.

The sleeve needs to be inserted fully into the knob first, as mentioned above, but it's a good idea to check the correct insertion depth on the shaft by doing a trial fit with no sleeve and placing a temporary mark on the shaft at the base of the knob to guide you. When fitting the knob, if you have the style of knob with the gear position markings under a clear plastic cover, I don't recommend tapping it down with anything as this can crack the plastic. Use firm pressure with both hands, a bit of a wiggle to get it started then a bit of bodyweight and it should slot in firmly to your mark on the shaft.

Hope this helps.
Mike Champion
www.mceporsche.com