Help with H/E and manifold removal

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

Ben Nichols 1979
DDK addict

Help with H/E and manifold removal

Post by Ben Nichols 1979 »

Afternoon all

I have been having a go at this on and off for a long while with no joy. My problem stems from......

1. I have 1975/76 heat exchangers (with the triangular flange and single pipe). I have been told they are massively inefficient and strange the performance on the 2.0L. Also, it's almost impossible to but an exhaust for these H/Es apart from that horrible looking Bursch thing that I removed and binned.

2. I have bought some used early heat exchangers. The trouble is they have the manifolds already joined whereas the later H/Es bolt onto the manifold which is connected to the underside of the engine. I can't get the manifolds off, no matter what I try they won't move. There aren't rusted on as they were only fitted a couple of months ago by GAC. There must be a technique for removing them...... its made harder as the car is on axle stands and the engine is in situ.

3. I have toyed with the idea of changing the flanges to suit the Monza exhaust I bought but that's a whole other story as it has got the two pipe arrangement to fit the early H/Es so just swapping flanges won't work.....

HELP!!!

If anyone is local to Southampton/Fareham and knows how to remove the manifolds easily and fit the early H/Es I would be very grateful and there would be beer and cash waiting!!!!!

Please please help, as its Christmas and all that!

Cheers

Ben
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Help with H/E and manifold removal

Post by KS »

When you say they you can't get the manifolds off, do you mean these?

If so, and they've just been fitted by GAC, I can't see what the problem is, unless they have rusted themselves to the studs in double-quick time. There's no magic to removing them otherwise.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel