912 Flat battery

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

Diego Milano
DDK Newbie

912 Flat battery

Post by Diego Milano »

Hi guys, the car has been in storage all winter...

I assume the battery is flat so i bought a DB Power powerpack like this one....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DBPOWER-18000m ... B01BEZV0IA

I presume this is ok to use to jump the car? Just plug on the leads etc....

Also if the car has been in a garage for 6 months, is there a particular pre start check you guys use? or once you have the car started, if no leaks etc you just go on your merry way? thanks
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: 912 Flat battery

Post by Gary71 »

Fire it up, pump up the tyres go for a drive in the sunshine!

That doesn’t look the meatiest of jump batteries, is there anyway to charge your main battery overnight then just give it a go?
danny
DDK forever

Post by danny »

Gary71 wrote:Fire it up, pump up the tyres go for a drive in the sunshine
and bring it to Stanford Hall tomorrow 8)
'67 912
912uk

Post by 912uk »

i have a drain on my battery.. I must get around to looking at where it's coming from.. some one did say there is a relay to do with the wiper motor that they had an issue with and it was drawing current all the time.. which was at fault.. I am no expert on electrical things but I will have to investigate as the lack of use of my cars I a was a collector of dead batteries, Barden where very happy to see me every 6 months LOL!! to buy more!
jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

I have one of those power packs...works great !! Read the instructions though...Connect, make sure you are set to 12volts, hold little button on cable connector and wait for light to turn green.

Check the Oil level when cold...Check the Tyre pressure...Connect the power pack, few pumps on the accelerator pedal and see what happens. My guess is it will take afew attempts to fire up.

Go for a drive...Take the power pack with you, wallet and Mobile phone just in case :wink:

Get a trickle charger :)

Pictures !!
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

912uk wrote:i have a drain on my battery.. I must get around to looking at where it's coming from.. some one did say there is a relay to do with the wiper motor that they had an issue with and it was drawing current all the time.. which was at fault.. I am no expert on electrical things but I will have to investigate as the lack of use of my cars I a was a collector of dead batteries, Barden where very happy to see me every 6 months LOL!! to buy more!
£15-20 solar charge from amazon/ebay. The battery will be fresh next time you go to your lock up! Has your car(s) been out in the last year?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
912uk

Post by 912uk »

as neil said solar on the roof... only way.

The 912 does seem to have a drain some where, my mercedes I come to it a year later and it starts the Porsche dead in 3 months..

some one did say about a drain coming from the whiper motor?? I can't expand on that so I am guessing it's a drain there of some sort? diode gone or some thing I don't know I think it was on BBS years and years ago!! or Pelican.. sorry ..try google. I know I need to find it my self as I am fed up of buying batteries
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

912uk wrote:as neil said solar on the roof... only way.

The 912 does seem to have a drain some where, my mercedes I come to it a year later and it starts the Porsche dead in 3 months..

some one did say about a drain coming from the whiper motor?? I can't expand on that so I am guessing it's a drain there of some sort? diode gone or some thing I don't know I think it was on BBS years and years ago!! or Pelican.. sorry ..try google. I know I need to find it my self as I am fed up of buying batteries
I had an internal aerial (it has been removed) and that drains the battery but I have a cut off on the negative terminal which stops it happening
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
912uk

Post by 912uk »

yeah I must try and get back on the car to look over things I have done a huge 11 miles this year!!! still... 6 more than last year :lol:

I just am so busy these days and the 944's are turn key cars so hence that and the VW campers are 1st choice.. I am sure it will change over time.. I am in no rush..
I did go all out last year and went abit mad... bought a watercooled...... Bentley :lol: well why not... 6.8ltr V8 Turbo in Green!!! but I enjoyed it.. I think I drove as slow as I ever did ever!!! as I was just in no rush LOL... no rattles nothing just floated along... till the powersteering pump failed LOL!! fixed and sold on.. but I enjoyed it..
lewy 912
DDK Fanatic

Post by lewy 912 »

neilbardsley wrote:
912uk wrote:i have a drain on my battery.. I must get around to looking at where it's coming from.. some one did say there is a relay to do with the wiper motor that they had an issue with and it was drawing current all the time.. which was at fault.. I am no expert on electrical things but I will have to investigate as the lack of use of my cars I a was a collector of dead batteries, Barden where very happy to see me every 6 months LOL!! to buy more!
£15-20 solar charge from amazon/ebay. The battery will be fresh next time you go to your lock up! Has your car(s) been out in the last year?

Hi
Silly question perhaps but will it keep a charge even in a locked and darkened garage?
1981 911 ST Backdate
1966 Porsche 912
1966 VW Splitscreen 13 Window Bus
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

lewy 912 wrote:
neilbardsley wrote:

Hi
Silly question perhaps but will it keep a charge even in a locked and darkened garage?
You put the solar charger on the roof of the garage. At least that is what I do. You might have to diy some longer leads but it works.
ejboyd5
DDK Newbie

Post by ejboyd5 »

If you have a car that is not going yo be used for several days/weeks/month, do yourself and your battery a treat and install a disconnect switch. In addition to eliminating parasitic drain it is also good insurance against accidental shorts caused by gnawing rodents.
ejboyd5
DDK Newbie

Post by ejboyd5 »

If you have a car that is not going to be used for several days/weeks/month, do yourself and your battery a treat and install a disconnect switch. In addition to eliminating parasitic drain it is also good insurance against accidental shorts caused by gnawing rodents.