Wheel bearing removal tool for 356a drum

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Wheel bearing removal tool for 356a drum

Post by neilbardsley »

My rear right wheel is making a metal on metal noise. It started about 1-2 months ago. I adjusted the brakes. Changed the gearbox oil and it went away but tt's back. The right right axle nut is the only one I've had off but I don't think it's loose. The pin came out free when I checked it was tight so the nut hadn't moved against it. The wheel doesn't have any lateral movement in it and run smoothly (when raised). However, I think the next step is to try and replace the bearing but I appears I need a special tool which is available from the states for $480 but there must be a more reason alternative I can find in the UK?

Any recommendations?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Lightweight_911

Re: Wheel bearing removal tool for 356a drum

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Usually when a wheel bearing is on the way out it makes a humming noise.

Is the noise all the time when the car's being driven ?

Can you hear the noise when the wheels jacked up & you're turning the wheel by hand ?

Could it be worn brake linings ?
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Usually when a wheel bearing is on the way out it makes a humming noise.

Is the noise all the time when the car's being driven ?

No it sound ok at a higher speed. More pronounced at slow speed and going around corners. Does make the noise when back out of the garage ok for a bit then starts?

Can you hear the noise when the wheels jacked up & you're turning the wheel by hand ?

No the wheel runs smoothly and there isn't any lateral play in.

Could it be worn brake linings?

I think the brake shoes and lining are pretty good. They where when I had them off a bit ago. However, the problem did go away, the first time, after I adjusted the rear brakes. I wonder if my brake cylinder is sticking and holding the shoes to the drums? I guess to test this I would completely back off the rear brakes and take for a short test drive?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/vie ... 91#p311891

According to this thread on the registry I wonder if I've put on the washer correctly between the nut and drum. Might make more sense with the symptons I've described?
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Neil,

Have you checked the hand brake cable movement? Is it smooth and not sticky? Is it operating the shoes correctly? Are there any binding marks on the steel part of the shoes? Grease and re-check from the front to the back.

How do you know you have the 400ftlb on the drum securing nut? What method did you use?

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

roy mawbey wrote:Neil,

Have you checked the hand brake cable movement? Is it smooth and not sticky? Is it operating the shoes correctly? Are there any binding marks on the steel part of the shoes? Grease and re-check from the front to the back.

How do you know you have the 400ftlb on the drum securing nut? What method did you use?

Roy
Thank you I will check the hand brake cable movement as if the car is left sitting for a while it can stick. I'm not sure if this is the cable or shoes
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

When I serviced the brake, quite a few months ago, I had put on the washer the wrong way around so the drum was moving. It was pretty obvious once I took off checked so I don't now I got it wrong initially. However, it was a good exercise because I took off the right side rear drum too and how to do a little work on that. The adjustment screws were stuck.

Strangely I have an axle nut/washer on the left side. While on the right side I have the new style combined nut/washer. I bought a new combined nut/washer to put on the left side but it wouldn't fit as thread ended before the drum so I have to put back on the nut / washer correct.
Jeremy 356 (Jez 356)
DDK above all

Post by Jeremy 356 (Jez 356) »

Neil

Have you checked that the washer is the right way round as it will be shaped on the inside on one side to fit over the end of the spline - it will only work one way

Also it is probably the drum touching the back plate which is making the metal on metal noise

Regards Jeremy
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Or have the retaining pins for the shoes corroded and snapped off inside the hub?
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Jeremy 356 (Jez 356) wrote:Neil

Have you checked that the washer is the right way round as it will be shaped on the inside on one side to fit over the end of the spline - it will only work one way

Also it is probably the drum touching the back plate which is making the metal on metal noise

Regards Jeremy
This was the issue. I had put the washer on the wrong way.

Everything is back on and running nicely. I've taken the car out a couple of times and driven it very vigorous the noise hasn't come back.
Jeremy 356 (Jez 356)
DDK above all

Post by Jeremy 356 (Jez 356) »

OMG I have actually made a contribution !!!! Glad I could help Neil

Makes all the blood and tears fixing my own rear brakes and seals worthwhile !!

Happy motoring

Regards Jeremy
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Jeremy 356 (Jez 356) wrote:OMG I have actually made a contribution !!!! Glad I could help Neil

Makes all the blood and tears fixing my own rear brakes and seals worthwhile !!

Happy motoring

Regards Jeremy
:)

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk