Engine bits n bobs needed

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

Green Ernie
Married to the DDK

Re: Engine bits n bobs needed

Post by Green Ernie »

Ben Nichols 1979 wrote:Right. Spoken to him tonight. Flaps ARE going back in. He says the original type thermostat is nla it's a modified beetle one you get now.

Anyone know or has an original style thermostat available? It would solve a lot of uncertainty. Cheers.
I have just bought a thermostat of ebay in the UK NOS. Came from the USA for about £125, now fitted and tested last weekend on a trip to Ninove, working fine. "Awesome powdercoat LLC" in the USA make new thermostats, check out their website. There is at least a one month wait due to demand which is why I bought NOS. Keep the flaps as original.
Ben Nichols 1979
DDK addict

Post by Ben Nichols 1979 »

Super, thanks Ernie. I'll take a look
Ben Nichols 1979
DDK addict

Thank for all the help so far. I've just read through all the stuff on the Awesome Powdercoat site - all very informative (mine has a beetle one). The flaps are DEFINITELY remaining now. Given that the stats from Awesome are on a long back order what about the ones that Design 911 have? They say one is a genuine Porsche one for £141 and they also have a Hella one for £89.95. The pictures look nothing like the original ones but assume they are library pictures.

Has anyone got any experience of the Design 911 ones?

I'd like to get one asap so it doesn't delay re-fitting the engine, if I have to wait can it be fitted with the engine in situ?

Cheers
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

Yes it can be fitted with the engine in situ assuming the actuating cable is all fitted and routed correctly
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

Ben Nichols 1979 wrote:what about the ones that Design 911 have? They say one is a genuine Porsche one for £141 and they also have a Hella one for £89.95. The pictures look nothing like the original ones but assume they are library pictures.

Has anyone got any experience of the Design 911 ones?
Just to let you know that the thermostats you are looking at on the Design 911 website are for the Porsche six cylinder engine (914-6), not the one fitted to the Volkswagen Type 4 four cylinder engine(914-4).
914 Daily driver since 1990
Ben Nichols 1979
DDK addict

Thanks Kev, they don't make it very clear. Thanks for letting me know.

Ben
davep
I luv DDK!

Post by davep »

A couple of things to be aware of. The magnesium air ducting on the front of the engine is a critical part of the charging system since the alternator grounds to it, and the engine case connects the ducting to the ground strap, and thus to the chassis. If the ducting is power coated, then that might cause it to be insulated from the alternator and the engine case; thus the alternator may not charge or charge very well. So be certain to have an effective ground path.
Second point; good thing you decided to leave the cooling flaps in place. A good friend left his out on purpose, including all the bits for the bellows & pulley. Can you guess what happened? The pivot bolt for the pulley goes into a hole in the side of the case that is a through hole. Short trips around town to shake down the car were no problem. A 1000 mile drive, at speed, across country resulted in a loss of a liter of oil every few hundred miles, and a continuous cloud of smoke. He was so disgusted that he left the car with me, and bought another to continue on. A bolt for the hole fixed the problem.
Porsche historian & researcher, contact me for Kardex through 1969 model year.
Addicted since 1975