Sitting with Chris Turner

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911uk
DDK Newbie

Re: Sitting with Chris Turner

Post by 911uk »

Very sad news, he will be missed at that those Fairmile meets, it was always good to catch up over the years with a beer in hand,

My condolences to his family, may he rest in peace
andytat
DDK forever

Post by andytat »

RIP Chris.

I never knew him bur know plenty of people who did and it was
obvious how highly he was regarded by all, and not just for his
Porsche knowledge. He was a real gent.
My condolences to his family.

Andy
Now Porsche less and sad.
3.2 Carrera Speedster (Sold and sorely missed)
3.2 Manual Cayenne (Sold)
73 2.4S (Gone to Singapore)
75 3.0l 914 (Sold)
gav p
DDK slapper chatter

Post by gav p »

Chris was generous, inclusive and unassuming to the end. Was a privilege to visit him in the hospice last week with Alam, whereupon, in spite of his pain in talking, the first thing he said was to ask me was how my engine work was going! So many of us have learnt an awful lot from him - he'll be very much missed.
Gavin

'73 911E -> 2.7mfi
'94 968 Sport
8bit-ash
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 8bit-ash »

Very Sad news. I didn't get the chance to meet Chris but we spoke when I first got my car. He told the story how it was always a scary drive when he used to collect it back in the 80's from the previous owner. The accelerator pedal and Brake were the opposite way around so he'd have to have his wits about him at junctions. I was looking forward to taking my Sporto box over to his workshop for some of his extensive knowledge.

RIP.
1970 911E Sportomatic
2002 Boxster S
2004 Audi A2 TDi 90
stuttgartmetal
DDK Newbie

Post by stuttgartmetal »

Met him at The Fairmile once
He brought a load of Porsche books which he was just letting guys have.
Genuine upstanding man.
butzsi
DDK rules my life!

Post by butzsi »

I have managed to sort the funeral out for Friday 2nd June at 2pm. It will be in the Ogden Chapel at south west Middlesex Crematorium, Hanworth then afterwards at the Fairmile in Cobham! Seemed the obvious choice as there is plenty of parking there! Please bring a picture of your car or Chris with a message on the back as I am going to put pinboards out for people to contribute to!! It goes without saying - no flowers at the funeral as Chris didn't like flowers, instead donations to Cancer Research and Princess Alice Hospice.

Please put the word out - I will do my best to contact everyone!

Thanks guys

Suzanne xx
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

Just to echo what's already been said. Sad news indeed. I was only talking to him in January at Brooklands and he was his normal friendly chatty self.
RIP Chris
@classiccarguru1
hughes73
DDK above all

Post by hughes73 »

Just heard the very sad news. Chris was such a very generous spirit and although I only knew him for three years he was so welcoming to me as a total novice and newcomer to classic 911s. My condolences and best wishes go out to Suzanne and his family.

RIP Chris - we'll miss you.

Andrew
1972 RHD 911T
2002 Caterham 7 Roadsport (ex Academy)
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I'm currently packing to move house and ruthlessly throwing away 1000s of Magazines

Had to pause and have a read of this article though

1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

Sad news, thoughts with friends and family

Never met Chris, but know he was was highly respected in our little world

X
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”
Venus
DDK Newbie

Post by Venus »

Very sad news to hear about Chris Turner. My condolences go out to his family.

I first met Chris in 2014 when he went above and beyond to help with my fuel starvation problem. We first spoke over the phone and he was music to my ears, when I arrived at his garage I knew he was a genuine gentlemen. From then Porsche talk kicked in and hours had gone by. I could tell Porsche was in Chris's blood as I remember turning up to the garage one time and he was glued to watching Leh Keen driving a 74 RSR in the LeMans Classic, tea was on tap and I just enjoyed watching it with him. I mean how many other Porsche garages could you go to and experience the same, with such a rising market their emphasis is money, not Chris.

I would like to echo that not just on my porsche journey but in life he is honestly and truly one of the nicest gentlemen I have met.

The good go young, rest well Chris
visualfx
I luv DDK!

Post by visualfx »

Ramon asked the below info posted for all attending

Hi Folks, contacted Suzzane regards attire at Chris's Funeral.

Suzzanes reply:
Well as Chris only ever wore jeans, t shirts and deck shoes i think casual is the order of the day!! Can you put the word out.

Folks can you please
spread the word.

Cheers Ramon.
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

Such sad news, reading this thread has knocked me for six.
I only met Chris twice, the first time I met him was at classic lemans in 2008, my dynamo had decided to pack up on the journey down so after arriving and finding a replacement I had to do a quick changeover in the middle of the camping field. Chris wandered over and introduced himself and offered a few bits of advice, he had never met me before but was clearly drawn to the sight of somebody getting their hands dirty working on an old Porsche and felt compelled to join in with proceedings. He struck me as a true gent and a genuine enthusiast. A sad loss indeed to our little community, but so glad I had the pleasure of meeting him. RIP Chris.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend the funeral. We have had a death in the family and have had to schedule the funeral on the same day.

I'm remembering the last time I spoke to Chris. I was asking about getting a Skoda to replace our stolen Defender. He was kind enough to offer me the use of one of his cars in case we were stuck. Just one of the many stories of his kindness. RIP Chris
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Joelipol
Married to the DDK

Post by Joelipol »

I can't see Chris off tomorrow despite best efforts. So here is my piece and my lasting memory...

I first met Chris when he called to buy a set of cookie cutters off me to dress up his pile of rust and bolts that he was trying to sell. I couldn't believe that THE Chris Turner of Chris Turner Porsche had called me in the first instance but it also just so happened I was at the stage of my engine rebuild where I was doing the cam timing - what luck! I struck a deal - help me with the cam timing and you can have the wheels. I thought I got a bargain but what I never factored in was Chris turning up for the next 3 weekends in a row, manufacturing parts that weren't available anymore (I've got an old sporto), grabbing old bits from around his workshop and despite my protestations I could only convince him to pay for half of it. I couldn't understand why he had genuine interest in my project but he did.

About a year later car ready for its first start we had a bunch of trouble - we captured it for fun here (me and few mates with Chris):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yENbm7N ... KA-WHe8g7-

Then we finally managed to start it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP03u7f ... 7-&index=2

This is probably the better one, Chris working his magic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP03u7f ... 7-&index=2

Around this time Chris was complaining about a lump in his throat that was starting to stop him eating. He was going in for tests...

Fast forward a year - Chris had a 'successful' operation, my car was running well and I had 2 months spare before my twins were due to be born. Chris was struggling working on the cars he had and I wanted to Geek out doing car/man stuff before being up to my armpits in nappies.

What followed was 2 months working with Chris and on his customers' cars - talking Porsche everyday and learning heaps. I feel privileged and honoured to have spent this time with him. To have been schooled by him and to have followed his instruction and advice. We spoke of death, of the Porsche folks in the community that had gone too early, he often talked about how he was contented, didn't want to die of course but was happy that he had done what he had always wanted to do. The story telling was endless. He really had seen and done it all with these things - he was there from the start.

After my twins were born I dropped back into the shop and the 'back' pain he had been complaining of was getting worse, the physio was not helping and now he was starting to limp. We didn't know what it was at the time though - I was totally shocked when a few weeks later he text that they had found cancer in other places.

My enduring memory of Chris isn't of his knowledge or passion for the cars (which was immense) but of the people that knew him and the way he treated them. I don't know how he got anything done with the constant stream of well wishers, ex-employees, neighbours that all wanted to reminisce, tell a story, borrow a tool, give a present, ask advice... He treated everyone the same - even the 20 year old punk kid that rocked up in a 2016 911 one day to ask if he would service it - Chris flipped the situation and had him marvelling at a 356 that was worth more, the kid couldn't believe it :D

I was given the opportunity to say goodbye in the end and I told him how much I respected this of him and how whilst with all his vast knowledge and experience this was the part I would remember most. In typical Chris fashion he said, "but in this place Joel there are so many staff coming in and out I can't thank them".

Too young, too soon - more to do - will be sorely missed. I miss him. Farewell friend.