Sitting with Chris Turner

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Barry
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Sitting with Chris Turner

Post by Barry »

What sad news this is, I only heard Chris was so poorly a day or so ago and it really came out of the blue.

Chris was always a pleasure to chat to, very much 'oh good, Chris is here' at any event / Fairmile or whatever. His depth of knowledge, exceptional generosity and modesty are all qualities to truly aspire to.

I've not seen Chris for what must be a couple of years ago at least. I'll remember him in good health, pint in hand in the evening sun at the Fairmile, amongst good friends who admired and loved him in equal proportion.

Chris, it's been a privilege to know you, rest in peace my friend.
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

RIP Chris - one of the most kind hearted and friendly guys I have met. I will miss his smile at the Fairmile and the London Christmas dinners. A big loss indeed.
The force is strong in this one ......
jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jamie »

A superb man who's warm spirit, enormous knowledge and hard work enriched the lives of many in the Porsche community, and no doubt further afield.

It was an absolute privilege to have known you Chris.
'68 912
Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Darren65 »

Was told this morning and so sad to hear.

A wonderful genuine guy and a true gentleman legend in our world. A big loss to our community, Chris will be sorely missed.

My thoughts and prayers are with Suzanne, family and friends.
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

Rest in Peace Chris.
Our paths crossed many times on our Porsche adventures. I first came across him after he had rolled his SWB 911 into a ball at Castle Combe in the late 1970's, earning himself the "Awful Warning Trophy" for that year......
He was the last person to rebuild the short stroke 3.2 MFI engine in our hillclimb car. It's a testament to his ability that it is still running competitively more than 30 years later, never even having had the heads off. He did say that his lasting memory of that engine was how incredibly hard the valve seats were, and what swines they were to lap in.
He was at the Porsche Tractor display at the Great Dorset Steam fair, checking out his old Junior. On the way home I stopped to deliver Crispin's Junior back to him, and went in to bid on one for ourselves on eBay. We lost out to someone using the fancy new sniping program........ If we'd known it was Chris, one or other of us would have had a cheaper tractor! :?
Crispin and I had a long chat with him over a glass of red at Bob Watson's wake last year. He said then that he was going in for tests in the next few days......
As everyone has said, a really nice genuine guy. Our thoughts are with all of his family.
God Bless
Jonathan
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
101sinbad
Married to the DDK

Post by 101sinbad »

really really sad to hear. I met him a handful of times and it always felt like I was dropping my car to a friendly kind uncle than a business.
jim_zzzz
DDK Fanatic

Post by jim_zzzz »

I only just heard the news. I was introduced to Chris via this forum. He was a gentlemen in every sense of the word. Reliable, honest, full of integrity, trustworthy and truly passionate about anything Porsche. He will sorely missed. My heart goes out to his family. Rest in peace Chris and hope somewhere up there is the sound of a flat six red lining.
butzsi
DDK rules my life!

Post by butzsi »

Thank you for all your kind messages!

Chris was a wonderful man and will be missed greatly but I am sure his spirit will live on in your cars!! Just to let you know when I was with him on Monday evening and he was struggling to talk I took up the laptop and read all your messages to him, he heard them and then went to sleep! It's all so sad, but our lives have been enriched by knowing such a lovely, wonderful, genuine character, hopefully he is at peace now, or re-building engines elsewhere!!

I will post funeral arrangements when I get them sorted!

Suzanne xx
Dyno Soar
I luv DDK!

Post by Dyno Soar »

Thank you Suzanne.

I feel so privileged to have got to see him last week to say goodbye. He called me over for hug and told me he loved me. Its reciprocal.

Chris is and has always been a gentlemen. No airs and graces and takes you for what you are. He's left an impression and a legacy. He taught me a lot and not just about old Porsches. We had a few adventures together..

I feel enriched having known him.
Alam

77' 911 Carerra 3.0 'The Beast'
58' 356-A Coupe
55' Chevy
51' AP17
scalino65
DDK rules my life!

Post by scalino65 »

We have lost a truly lovely man.
God bless you Chris.
Will
willbrown
I luv DDK!

Post by willbrown »

Thanks for posting that Suzannne :)

I echo all the sentiments here. What truly lovely guy.

I fondly remember all of our chats especially at the Christmas dinners over the years and not least when he used to talk about his time in advertising before the (official) Porsche days. Always a glint in his eye, Chris will be much missed but certainly not forgotten.
'72 2.4S Targa
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Thanks for posting Suzanne, my thoughts are with you
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jtparr »

Thank you Suzanne, Chris will be misssed most dearly
Whenever I think of Chris I always see a smile and that charming twinkle in his eyes
The world would be a better place with more people like him
Jonathan
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
jrampton
DDK above all

Post by jrampton »

Gutted to hear that Chris had passed away ! He was the nicest bloke and ALWAYS went out his his way to say hello to me at the Fairmile !

We'll have to raise a glass to him at the Fairmile next week.
womble912
DDK addict

Post by womble912 »

A long shadow cast over the Porsche family today. RIP CT