The Grand Tour

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

gooders
DDK Fanatic

The Grand Tour

Post by gooders »

Worth the subscription just for the first 5 mins on its own. A lot of similarities to the old TG show, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
1967 RHD 912/911T
Green Ernie
Married to the DDK

Re: The Grand Tour

Post by Green Ernie »

Good to have them back. Looking forward to the Christmas special on December 30th with the three Beach Buggies :bounce:
C3s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by C3s »

Worth the 20 month wait
Martyn1
DDK Fanatic

Post by Martyn1 »

Thought it was good. Nice selection of cars tested for first outing.
Dreaming of a 911 S Currently Porscheless.
Ex cars 993 Targa and 997 C2S......
Kenyon
Married to the DDK

Post by Kenyon »

Enjoyed it! I think they may have pulled one off. The BBC Top Gear format was a bit tired. This has given them the chance and budget to revamp. Also, my Dad was chuckling away at the jokes whilst my girlfriend rolled her eyes. I think they have a winning formula. Again.
Phil

1960 356B Silver
Mike
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Mike »

Well I have to say overall I was disappointed.

I certainly didn't think it lived up to all the hype, talk of multi million budgets per episode, new filming techniques and so on, and it ended up pretty much as before. Got off to a great start with the most amazing opening sequence tied into the Burning Man festival, if only they'd stuck with some of the car's featured racing across the desert we'd have been in for a treat, enough there alone to fill the first series, and what about the three Mustangs they used, not a mention.

The supercar test was as expected, no surprises and because it taken so long to air no exclusives any more. To my mind all a little dragged out, and as for the timed laps 'F1 driver' Jerome d'Ambrosio, give me a break!

But for me the real low points were what were presumably supposed to be comedy segments, firstly some kind of play on celebrity with some 'star' I've never heard of falling out of a plane and another unknown being attacked by a rubber snake, ended up with a home grown British has been 'celebrity', a dead Carol Vorderman, what on earth was that all about! And as for the pretend punch up with the audience over the RAF, completely pointless, I can only think it was some kind of private joke connected with Clarkson's BBC punch up, but wtf, move on. Ebloadrome test track, how crap is that. Looked like it had been put together in someones back garden, and who the hell was the fat American?

All in all still great to have it back, but I do fear the big budget will be all about them indulgently travelling the world rather than telling us all about wonderful cars, hope I'm wrong.
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
hot66

The Grand Tour

Post by hot66 »

Mike, you sound like an old guy ;) you need to get with the youth .... The guy in the helicopter is a pretty big Hollywood star ;) ... I found all the bit pretty funny and a sideways dig at top gear .

I'm not watching it for car reviews ... I'm watching it as entertainment .

Car reviews and inspiration of road trips... I've recently become obsess with Harry's garage on YouTube for this.

If you really want to see what bad car programs are ... Go and watch the new YouTube vblogger stars like shmee etc
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
KS

Post by KS »

I managed to watch it all on Facebook as somebody managed to post the whole lot - inevitably it got taken down after a few hours. I agree totally with Mike, I'm afraid. There was a re-run of a 'hypercar shootout' we've already seen done better elsewhere, stupid comedy links between sections and, er, people we've not heard of. The opening sequence was superb, but it was all downhill from there. For the massive budget it's supposed to have benefited from, I'd hoped to see more.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
hot66

Post by hot66 »

KS wrote:I managed to watch it all on Facebook as somebody managed to post the whole lot - inevitably it got taken down after a few hours. I agree totally with Mike, I'm afraid. There was a re-run of a 'hypercar shootout' we've already seen done better elsewhere, stupid comedy links between sections and, er, people we've not heard of. The opening sequence was superb, but it was all downhill from there. For the massive budget it's supposed to have benefited from, I'd hoped to see more.
Another old guy ;)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Mike +1 and yes another old guy.
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
PhilipB
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PhilipB »

I'm over 50 and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it with my teenage kids. It made us all laugh - something the Chris Evans version never managed. The scripting was more obvious than it used to be but the writing was still top notch. BTW the "fat American" is Mike Skinner, an ex NASCAR driver. I've met him and he's a real character. Have a look at his run up the Goodwood FoS hill this year if you want any proof of his driving ability. He was 2nd overall in a truck!
Philip
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

I enjoyed it - it was pretty much top gear done slightly different and without the annoying stig and boring celebrity interview but which I never enjoyed!

As James said it was good entertainment
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

I saw it and other than the opening scene it was a bit ... Meh.
Scene tax
KS

Post by KS »

Just finished watching another episode of Jay Leno's Garage. Far more enjoyable... It shows how somebody can be a star of a show without completely dominating it with their ego.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Just watched it on youtube - was looking forward to it, however ...

I'm glad I didn't pay (even at the reduced rate) for an Amazon Prime subscription ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”