Off topic watch chat for the horologists out there

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

JAN
DDK above all

Re: Off topic watch chat for the horologists out there

Post by JAN »

Many thanks Jason, i am very pleased with it. Possibly i paid slightly too much, but i usually do when i want something!
IXXIfan
DDK addict

Post by IXXIfan »

Heuer 980.006 diver for sale £575 including RMSD shipping within the UK or you can come and inspect/collect it if you're close to Basingstoke?

I thought I'd see if a DDK Heuer fan might like it before I advertise it more widely.

Manufactured early 80's from finest swiss stainless steel, 42mm wide case, 45mm including the crown and as you can see from the photos in unusually excellent condition.

The main issue with Heuer divers of this era is the condition of the bezel. Most have seen some action and have suffered dings and abrasions as a result but this one is really nice, almost new condition. Crystal is unmarked, crown screws down as it should, date quick set works well and the date changes over around midnight under normal running. Bezel rotates with a nice even unidirectional clicking action. Includes the correct style rubber 'tropic' strap.

It's recently had a new battery but I didn't get it pressure tested; would you really wear it underwater....

There are a few light scratches commensurate with careful wear but nothing deep and the 'lines' of the case are 'sharp' so it doesn't look to me as though it's ever been polished. Even the case back is free of gouges from slipping openers.

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Is Jason doing your modeling or are you related?
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
IXXIfan
DDK addict

Post by IXXIfan »

sladey wrote:Is Jason doing your modeling or are you related?
No definitely my arm but it looks like we've both got hairy arm wrist disease :lol:
silverfox
Married to the DDK

Post by silverfox »

Like this, will pm you.
Paul
Silverfox
Porsche 912 - 1968
Porsche 914 - 1974
Volvo PV544 - 1959
whitecarrera
DDK Newbie

Post by whitecarrera »

To refurbish or sell as is.

As a non watch person, would appreciate some advice from you collectors and dealers of fine watches.

I bought a Heuer Silverstone new in 1978 and proceeded to use it as my everyday (and only) watch for more than 12 years before relegating it to being used for holidays and high days. As an engineer, it tended to be worn even when I was working at site and playing with my automotive toys, so has picked up some light scratching and nicks on the crystal and the odd nick in the case – especially around the periphery of the crystal.

I am looking to fund some work on my 911, so the much under used Heuer will probably need to go as I am not a collector, and my question:

Do I sell, in car terms, as a one owner barn find, totally original and unmolested, or get it restored and sell it on? Basically, would I recover the cost of refurb in enhanced value, or do you collectors prefer to conduct or commission your own work?

An internet search on the past and present market in these watches always bring up photographs of ‘’perfect’’ items for sale, so probably this answers my question as no-one seems to sell Heuers that are less than perfect. Correct?

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Can't see the pictures

Happy to give a view and have refurbed a couple of Silverstones before
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
whitecarrera
DDK Newbie

Post by whitecarrera »

Hi Bootsy,

Was hoping you would reply, I know that you have had a couple of these in the past. Don't know what happened with the photos, will try again.

Thanks,

Keith

23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

FOR SALE: Mer Air Terre AG6 CHL

Post by 23e Heure »

I need to free up some funds for my 914 GT project, and am offering one of my watches for sale.

It's a Swiss Made watch used by the French special forces, a Mer Air Terre chrono.

Here is the official blurb: http://www.merairterre.com/fr/montres-c ... -ch-l.html

- This example I have for sale is a limited edition: a AG6 CHL, number 14 of 50 pieces made.
- Swiss ETA Valjoux 7750 automatic movement.
- 44mm case. Waterproof to 200m.
- By special order, prior to delivery MAT fitted this one with orange chrono and second hands.
- I bought it direct from MAT in June 2013, used it as my daily for about 6 months, and only occasional use since.
- Mechanically it is in tip top condition. All chrono functions work, and it and keeps perfect time.
- Daily use has given the PVD on the watch case some minor wear marks, lending it a nice degree of 'lived in' patina.
- The crystal is flawless, with no scratches or swirls.
- The watch still has all the paperwork and MAT leather, suede lined case.
- Included is the original leather strap (excellent), and 3 other (test fitted but barely worn) straps - 1 x rubber and 2 x canvas.

Selection of photos, showing all evident blemishes / PVD scratches / wear to the watch case.

The bottom line: this is a very well engineered, super tough, Swiss Made timepiece.

And rare and collectible too: it regularly draws attention from wearers of common makes such as Rolex and Tag Heuer :lol:

Cost new is €2300. For a quick sale I'm looking for offers around £1100.
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Today's pick-up.

Original issued SBS (Special Boat Service - its the RN version of the SAS) Royal Navy divers watch!

Stealth Mode On 8)

----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

mycar

Post by mycar »

Looks a bit ordinary.

Why would the SBS use this particular watch ?
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I thought anything with a Quartz movement was frowned upon by 'collectors' & 'dealers' ?
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
richkaz
DDK rules my life!

Post by richkaz »

Lightweight_911 wrote:I thought anything with a Quartz movement was frowned upon by 'collectors' & 'dealers' ?

Not always, especially 80's and 90's military watches. Many were made in large quantities for a serious conflict and needed to be robust and within tight military budgets. A beautiful hand made Swiss movement was not high on the list of priorities. Even Gallet were commissioned to make quartz watches in the Gulf war under the brand names Adanac and Marathon. They can be very collectable.
“Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three
decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good "..

1971 911 2.2T sold
1970 911 2.2S Sold but remains within DDK
1959 Lancia Flaminia PF Coupe
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Yes the military days of new Rolex and Omega are long long gone. This spec watch was specifically requested by the SBS for certain covert operations it is believed. They needed something less 'shiny' or reflective and hence CWC making this all black version for the unit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

whitecarrera wrote:Hi Bootsy,

Was hoping you would reply, I know that you have had a couple of these in the past. Don't know what happened with the photos, will try again.

Thanks,

Keith

Thomas will know best but I would be tempted to replace the crystal, give it a clean and sell as is. The cost of getting it perfect may not leave you much money left?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP